Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is what got me on the thought. Lots seem to want the integrated opener but not bother with the Lux. This could be a workaround.
I think we should be able to purchase a auto dimming mirror with home link buttons aftermarket and install ourselves... though I’ve never done it myself.
Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You don’t even need a step down, just use the battery that garage remote already uses, place in a hidden but not inaccessible place, change battery as often as you would any garage remote battery(not often, mines going over 2 years used every time I come and go). Pop apart the casing, solder wire to either side of the button and use those two wires to switch. Doesn’t need vehicle power for any of it. Depending how ford does the aux switches, other brands you can configure aux buttons, like whether they turn on/off auto with car, or momentary switch function. Use it as a momentary switch and it’ll act exactly like the push button on the remote. Done similar thing with an added momentary switch before. Basically just adding an extension to the button on the garage remote nothing more.
This is an option, but then you would have to drill and mount a button for it, or remove the relay and power lead from one of the aux switches to use, also, if you do it that way the opener is always powered, so either hide the switch or give anyone access when the doors are off.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
on my motorcycle, I had my garage door opener wired to my brights, I'd pull up, flick my bright switch and bam the door would open.

They also sell the universal door opener module that mounts in your visor on amazon.

I can also open/close my garage door from my phone.

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 KLR 650, 2022 Bronco Base (2dr/7mt/CO)
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is SUCH a better idea than 3d printing a garage door opener bracket to mount to the picatinny rail on the dash (was throwing around that idea since in not going lux). Following this thread ???

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is SUCH a better idea than 3d printing a garage door opener bracket to mount to the picatinny rail on the dash (was throwing around that idea since in not going lux). Following this thread ???
that would take proly about 3 hours. wiring the opener to the aux switch would prolly take... about 3 hours...

Sponsored

Danager

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You could do this, relatively easily (less than an hour) if you are comfortable with a soldering iron.
You would “sacrifice” a garage door opener remote.
You need a relay, and wire it to accept the input signal from one of your AUX switch wires to close the circuit on the GDO remote.

I would burry the remote high up in the dash inside the truck. You will still need to replace that battery from time to time.

You may also need to install a circuit that converts the “constant” voltage when switched-on into a pulse for the GDO. This way, leaving the switch on too long doesn’t open and close the door too early.

All parts available online for cheap.

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I guess I am the only one that doesn't mind using the clicker remote thing instead of the button on the visor. Took me 6+ months to get around to programming my JL and I only did it in the end because I figured "why not."

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is an option, but then you would have to drill and mount a button for it, or remove the relay and power lead from one of the aux switches to use, also, if you do it that way the opener is always powered, so either hide the switch or give anyone access when the doors are off.
Well unless someone knows what the button is for or they’re just in your car in your driveway hitting random buttons I don’t think having power constantly is that big a deal. It’s not like it’s labeled since it’s not the stock garage door button. And like I said I’ve done this before with adding an additional button(or buttons), never owned a car with stock aux buttons, only had one friend that did, in a Jeep, and he did something similar(but not sure exactly how he wired it up).

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have an app as well. I only use it when I don't have access to a garage door opener. It's much quicker and easier to just hit the button on my truck then to pull my phone out.

The baddies is one of the reasons why this could be an ok idea in my area. It's pretty low crime and I wouldn't expect someone to fiddle with the aux switches in hopes it does something. Most of the time the vehicle is at home it's in the garage anyway. YMMV in your location though.
What I’ve read so far is that the auxiliary switches have no power without the engine running so no one would be able to open your garage just by flipping the switch.
I would have to check before I say it’s 100%

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You can always buy a HomeLink mirror for around $300 or so. You can get them as manual or auto-dimming IIRC.

Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What I’ve read so far is that the auxiliary switches have no power without the engine running so no one would be able to open your garage just by flipping the switch.
I would have to check before I say it’s 100%
On the trucks you can turn switches 5&6 to battery powered. I had to do that to my work truck so I could have my box lights and strobe lights on without having to run the engine.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

On the trucks you can turn switches 5&6 to battery powered. I had to do that to my work truck so I could have my box lights and strobe lights on without having to run the engine.
Good to know! Thank you

Jpeyer

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can always buy a HomeLink mirror for around $300 or so. You can get them as manual or auto-dimming IIRC.
I would get a visor homelink button set for 1/2 the cost. Cut a hole in the visor mount it and run the wires to the fuse panel in the driver or passenger kick panel.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was thinking of hacking in a little switch for a garage door opener.

Then I got to thinking. Would it be possible to wire it into one of aux switches if your Bronco comes with one? I'm not smart enough to know if this is possible or not.
Just go to the junkyard and get any garage door opener you like from any vehicle and mount it wherever you like.

Streetbob08

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Harley.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is this really a thing? Every opener I have ever had came with a clip to put it on the sun visor. Which is where Ford put the homelink opener on my F150. What's the difference between pushing a button on the remote on the visor verses six inches the the right? But if you must rig it to one of the aux switches remember the remotes work off of a 3 volt battery reduce the voltage from the switch, (12 volts). But if you just don't want to see the opener I suggest simply using velco or 3M automotive trim double sided tape and attach it under the dash panel that is under the steering column.
Sponsored