Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

May have been mentioned already (didn’t read through) but I bought a cheap Universal from Amazon, soldered a momentary switch, and mounted that switch to my overhead console in my 4Runner. Garage door opener lives inside the console. It’s been 2 years and haven’t changed it yet. Probably could wire it to the aux switches, but I prefer a very small (more hidden) switch.
Sponsored

bmclain

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i'm thinking with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto that's the best way to go. you don't need to pull your phone out, it's right there on your dash screen. plus there's no way someone could access that if it's in your drive way. There are lots of automated garage door openers and they are very easy to install. Check out the Chamberlain MyQ. Might even be a better option for those of us already getting Lux.

OP
OP
pan-y-cerveza

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is this really a thing? Every opener I have ever had came with a clip to put it on the sun visor. Which is where Ford put the homelink opener on my F150. What's the difference between pushing a button on the remote on the visor verses six inches the the right? But if you must rig it to one of the aux switches remember the remotes work off of a 3 volt battery reduce the voltage from the switch, (12 volts). But if you just don't want to see the opener I suggest simply using velco or 3M automotive trim double sided tape and attach it under the dash panel that is under the steering column.
Sure it's a "thing." I'm just spitballing here on alternatives and there have been some good ideas.

I simply prefer not having the opener on the visor.

Sticking it under the dash panel is a good idea as well.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What is Ford’s solution on the Lux? Is it in the rear view mirror? If so, just go to the parts counter (or Amazon as mentioned before). Probably the same part from a Ranger.

OP
OP
pan-y-cerveza

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

i'm thinking with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto that's the best way to go. you don't need to pull your phone out, it's right there on your dash screen. plus there's no way someone could access that if it's in your drive way. There are lots of automated garage door openers and they are very easy to install. Check out the Chamberlain MyQ. Might even be a better option for those of us already getting Lux.
Does MyQ work with Android Auto? We just got a vehicle (that's not here right now to fiddle with) with AA and the MyQ app doesn't show up on the screen. It would be less of an issue with the Bronco that (I think) is wireless AA but our current vehicle you need to plug in the phone. I don't want to have to rely on that.

I rarely use my MyQ. The app takes forever to load. I really only use it if I'm out on my bike and want to roll back into the garage or if someone needs in the garage and I'm not home. I wouldn't want to use it daily.

Sponsored

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this really a thing? Every opener I have ever had came with a clip to put it on the sun visor. Which is where Ford put the homelink opener on my F150. What's the difference between pushing a button on the remote on the visor verses six inches the the right? But if you must rig it to one of the aux switches remember the remotes work off of a 3 volt battery reduce the voltage from the switch, (12 volts). But if you just don't want to see the opener I suggest simply using velco or 3M automotive trim double sided tape and attach it under the dash panel that is under the steering column.
absolutely, it's a 'thing'. a standard battery powered garage door opener is ALWAYS active - basically it's like leaving a key to the front door of your house prominently on the dash of your vehicle. Anyone could smash a window and then have easy access to your house/garage.
With the built-in garage door openers (homelink), they are 'off' when the ignition is off - meaning, if someone broke into your vehicle, they could push the garage door opener buttons until the cows came home, but the door won't open . I never understood people who leave a garage door opener "clicker" in their cars all the time - it's inviting a home invasion.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
absolutely, it's a 'thing'. a standard battery powered garage door opener is ALWAYS active - basically it's like leaving a key to the front door of your house prominently on the dash of your vehicle. Anyone could smash a window and then have easy access to your house/garage.
With the built-in garage door openers (homelink), they are 'off' when the ignition is off - meaning, if someone broke into your vehicle, they could push the garage door opener buttons until the cows came home, but the door won't open . I never understood people who leave a garage door opener "clicker" in their cars all the time - it's inviting a home invasion.
Good post. If you have a clicker you better be parking your car in the garage.

This thread was a great idea. I was trying to find a reason to buy the aux switches and this will be a good one. I love the different ideas everyone came up with!!!!

madbaird

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

On my F-150, I found one on Ebay for 35 bucks, took the visor off opened it up, it had a cutout already, just had to cut the tabs, hooked the wires into the vanity light power in visor, placed it all back together and programmed the remote for our community gate and the garage. Looking at the "360" with Lux package selected, it is going to be same one in the visor.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I really like the idea of wiring up a switch to some sort of universal opener. I don't want it to work without the car running so I should be all set.

Now if I only had my bronco to go with this garage door opener!

Michael Grasso

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dogula

Heritage
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS Badlands, 2023 CHALLENGER Shaker Widebody
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Should be standard in all vehicles. Or at the very least make it a stand alone option. My 2016 Flex SEL has the built in opener at half the price of my Wildtrack without Lux. I would have thought that with the High package I would have gotten the opener included. I didn't see the value in the Lux package.

Dogula

Heritage
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS Badlands, 2023 CHALLENGER Shaker Widebody
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I had a new house built a year ago and the garage door opener had wifi built in. All I had to do was download the MyQ app on my Android phone. It's useful because you can open or close your garage door remotely. I have it set up for notifications each time my door opens or closes. However, I would never consider using it to operate my door for normal usage because I can easily and quicky do it with the push of a button on my garage door opener, rather than pulling my cell out and opening the app.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not trying to act condescending but an honest question: what's wrong with just using the garage door opener? I don't get how a button on the bottom of the rear view mirror is much better than just using a regular garage door opener.
Sponsored