Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

With the built-in garage door openers (homelink), they are 'off' when the ignition is off - meaning, if someone broke into your vehicle, they could push the garage door opener buttons until the cows came home, but the door won't open . I never understood people who leave a garage door opener "clicker" in their cars all the time - it's inviting a home invasion.
I'd advise folks to check theirs to confirm. Both my Tacoma and my wife's Subaru remain active even with the ignition turned off. This was a surprise to us. We lock our garage door every evening, so any vehicle parked in the driveway won't have the ability to open the door.
Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd advise folks to check theirs to confirm. Both my Tacoma and my wife's Subaru remain active even with the ignition turned off. This was a surprise to us. We lock our garage door every evening, so any vehicle parked in the driveway won't have the ability to open the door.
Trying to remember if some of the switches are hot and some not....?

Dogula

Heritage
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS Badlands, 2023 CHALLENGER Shaker Widebody
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I'm not trying to act condescending but an honest question: what's wrong with just using the garage door opener? I don't get how a button on the bottom of the rear view mirror is much better than just using a regular garage door opener.
If you have only one garage door than that is not an issue. I have three garage doors and I have three buttons on my Flex each programmed to a different door. Without that, I would have to have 3 separate garage door openers clipped to my visor. Plus I have a remote for the gated community I live in.

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm not trying to act condescending but an honest question: what's wrong with just using the garage door opener? I don't get how a button on the bottom of the rear view mirror is much better than just using a regular garage door opener.
I'll admit, it is silly. But first, I'm doing it mostly because I can't stand having aux switches that don't do anything. (You can only add so many lights before you get accused of killing sea turtles and I live in Ohio)

And second, because I can. I'll solder two aux switches into the remote secured beneath the dash.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just bought a rear-view mirror off eBay for $50 that has both Homelink and compass display. All I need to do is tap into constant and switched 12V, and I'm golden.

Easier than trying to get a latching switch to function as a momentary, and doesn't eat up an AUX switch, either...

Sponsored

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

the original video has given me ideas....

Ford Bronco Garage Door on Aux Switches? 61d+B-cgvQL._AC_SL1071_

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My GD Opener is wi-fi enabled for remote operation, but getting the phone out, unlocking it, opening the app, and activating the opener is a bit of a pain. Would rather just reach up and press that AUX switch. :)
I just say “Siri, open (or close) the right (or left) door” and it happens. Chamberlain MyQ with hub connected to HomeKit. Works w/my watch too.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'll admit, it is silly. But first, I'm doing it mostly because I can't stand having aux switches that don't do anything. (You can only add so many lights before you get accused of killing sea turtles and I live in Ohio)

And second, because I can. I'll solder two aux switches into the remote secured beneath the dash.
Not silly when you have a soft top. You'd have to lock up your opener... Or connect to a dead switch.

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The button on the remote is mechanical. Open the remote case and solder wires to the contacts for the push button.
Then run those wires to a relay that is controlled by the aux switch.
Exactly. Just locate the opener in an area that’s easily accessible for battery changes. The aux switch should work just fine

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting ... my last Mustang that I just got rid of 8 months ago (a 2016 model) had the garage door opener in the visor - once the ignition was off - the garage door opener was inoperable

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Old thread with new legs.
Not sure if this has been posted in the previous 6 pages, but here it goes.

So much work wiring relays and such into the aux switches for a GDO.

Just get permanent power to the mirror.

https://homelink.com/afterMarketHomeLink

OR

Mirrors are mostly universal. They all mount on the same "lug" (?).
The mirrors linked above are on A LOT of vehicles at junk yards. OEM.
I have one of these in my 69 Bronco.
I think I paid under $20 for a mirror that had map lights, compass and the garage door buttons.... in a 69 Bronco!!!! High tech baby!
Just be sure to grab both sides of the electrical connectors so you can splice it in easily.

Though a garage door opener would be nice. I'm going to get one of my electrician friends to rig one up to one of the switches.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you have only one garage door than that is not an issue. I have three garage doors and I have three buttons on my Flex each programmed to a different door. Without that, I would have to have 3 separate garage door openers clipped to my visor. Plus I have a remote for the gated community I live in.
That's a legitimate need then. My regular looking universal garage door opener has three buttons so that or if you can find a four button one might be a close second place if you don't want to wire something complex up. 👍🏼

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

On my F-150, I found one on Ebay for 35 bucks, took the visor off opened it up, it had a cutout already, just had to cut the tabs, hooked the wires into the vanity light power in visor, placed it all back together and programmed the remote for our community gate and the garage. Looking at the "360" with Lux package selected, it is going to be same one in the visor.

I did the same on my F150. Looks factory and took less than 30min.

If there is a lighted mirror in the visor, you can use that as a power source.