SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not sure if anyone has posted about using one of the aux switches as a garage door opener but the following is a bit of a how-to for those of us with aux switches but not the lux package (IIRC that gets universal garage door feature). Also this is for those with an old school door opener that isn't smart aka connected.

Caution notes: you need to modify you're garage door opener by doing some soldering. This only works if your garage door opener is 12v powered, if yours isn't I would do more research and electrical engineering. A momentary switch really should be used but I am not into tearing into that panel just yet, so when using you just want to flip it on until the door opens then off.

Cliff notes: Solder a wire that bypasses the switch when the garage door opener button is pushed. Solder in a negative lead and a 12v lead to the opener, modify plastic for wires to pass through. In engine bay connect aux # of choice (10amp circuit is good) to one of the jockybox wires ( white-B2 or brown/white-B1) that's glovebox for you non-Idahoans. Connect jockybox wire to the 12v extension from your opener. Connect a ground to the ground extension from your opener.

How-to-ish

First I did was mod up my garage door opener, crack it open by any means available. Solder a piece of wire to essentially bypass the switch that is connected to the button on the opener. Then make two extensions for the 12v positive and negative sides of the battery, remove the battery first. I put quick disconnects on the other ends, cause I've seen things and Murphy's law follows me like covid does earth.
Ford Bronco Garage door opener on Aux switch 1636526613400

Ford Bronco Garage door opener on Aux switch 1636526546425

Now Lagavulin 11yr is great but I do not suggest drinking it while doing this...so cause of that we are going to use the blue/orange wire (aux 5) to the white wire, B2, going to the jockybox or brown/white B1. I used a red 16-24 ga connectors, 16ga wiring, and the aux are 14ga, not the greatest choice but what's done is done. Use 14ga wire to be better than me. If you want to go to Aux 6 use the yellow/orange wire.
Ford Bronco Garage door opener on Aux switch 1636527696970

Next I got into the jockybox. Open it, press the tabs to disconnect from each side. Now disconnect the limiter bar thingy...pick up all your shit that just fell on to the floor. Protip: empty your jockybox first. Move the limiter bar to a place you won't break it. Now you can just remove the jockybox and get it out of your way cause it's tight.

You are now ready to make the connection from the engine bay to an extension or straight to your opener.
Ford Bronco Garage door opener on Aux switch 1636527181833

Make a ground connection from your garage door opener or extension, I used this random bolt and it's making a good enough ground so no drilling...yay me! If this sucks there is some bare metal right in the area for improvements, but ye must drill.
Ford Bronco Garage door opener on Aux switch 1636528074571

Now make your quick disconnect connections between the opener and the extensions or the choose your own adventure method. Hit up your shrink wrap on your connections, then put it all just above the speaker in the passenger floorboard area. Arrange wires to your ocd level and put the jockybox back in place. Put yer junk back in from the floor if you missed that step.
Ford Bronco Garage door opener on Aux switch 1636527321397

Turn acc on and test.

Drink whisky if door goes up don't if it doesn't.

During the course of this and why aux 5 got used, I encountered some electrical gremlins. I noted before doing this a few times that my aux 6 switch would go amber in the off position. Toggling it did nothing, however if I toggled all others on, then it would turn blue and remain blue. I pulled the negative wire to the battery and this has kept things in magwai form so far. Link
Sponsored

Last edited:

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am thinking of doing same thing. Since my opener is 3v, I bought a 12v to 3v step down module. My question is, why do you say this won’t work for a smart opener? im doing same thing, remove battery and solder leads to either side.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Or just buy one of these that takes five minutes to hook up and use Alexa that is/will be enabled in your vehicle.

Ford Bronco Garage door opener on Aux switch 1636551494117

OP
OP
IDyeti

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Or just buy one of these that takes five minutes to hook up and use Alexa that is/will be enabled in your vehicle.

Ford Bronco Garage door opener on Aux switch 1636551494117
Some of us may work in an industry where it is unacceptable to have those features around us. No go for me on that front.

OP
OP
IDyeti

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am thinking of doing same thing. Since my opener is 3v, I bought a 12v to 3v step down module. My question is, why do you say this won’t work for a smart opener? im doing same thing, remove battery and solder leads to either side.
Should work with the step down. Just was trying to caution for possible differences.

Sponsored

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Should work with the step down. Just was trying to caution for possible differences.
I thought maybe removing the battery would deprogram a smart opener or something. I’m gonna give it a shot.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some of us may work in an industry where it is unacceptable to have those features around us. No go for me on that front.
Ford Bronco Garage door opener on Aux switch 1636555819960

Got it, your secret is safe with us ;) .

crakerjac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is this really a thing? Most new vehicles 'phone home' with daily/weekly reports. As someone who works in that industry, I can tell you for sure that is a thing...
Sponsored