Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The lift install was meant to be an in and out process, but they called me an hour in and said when they were removing the nuts off the CV shaft one of them stripped some threads. (photo included) the replacement part is $500 CAD so my Bronco is sitting and waiting til Monday for the part to arrive.

I called the sales manager at my dealership and he asked the garage to call his guy to discuss.

Who should be on the hook for this cost? Would this fall under warranty, or will Ford try to claim it was outside of their care so it isn't covered?

IMG_4389.JPG
Sponsored

Deleted member 32220

The lift install was meant to be an in and out process, but they called me an hour in and said when they were removing the nuts off the CV shaft one of them stripped some threads. (photo included) the replacement part is $500 CAD so my Bronco is sitting and waiting til Monday for the part to arrive.

I called the sales manager at my dealership and he asked the garage to call his guy to discuss.

Who should be on the hook for this cost? Would this fall under warranty, or will Ford try to claim it was outside of their care so it isn't covered?

IMG_4389.JPG
This looks like galling to me, rather than having been cross threaded when it was put on during production. Air tools create a lot heat. anti-seize on the threads up to the nut, then impact away it would have zipped right off.

We used to call cross threading PML poor manā€™s Loctite.šŸ˜³ when we made a little oopsie.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My right side axle did the same thing when I put the lift on mine. 1k miles and the axle nut was already cross threaded on from the factory. Luckily it wasnā€™t too bad. I was able to clean it up.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Single use nuts, who ever put them back on is at fault. Biggest issue is Ford put single use nuts on in the first place.
I donā€™t think anyone has put the nut back on. I believe the OP means just taking it off for the first time it happened.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RJOBX

RJOBX

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This looks like galling to me, rather than having been cross threaded when it was put on during production. Air tools create a lot heat. anti-seize on the threads up to the nut, then impact away it would have zipped right off.

We used to call cross threading PML poor manā€™s Loctite.šŸ˜³ when we made a little oopsie.
So in your opinion this was caused by the shop doing the lift, and they just went too fast on removing the nut, or could that have been caused in Michigan during assembly?

Deleted member 32220

So in your opinion this was caused by the shop doing the lift, and they just went too fast on removing the nut, or could that have been caused in Michigan during assembly?
This definitely looks like galling during the removal. Itā€™s pretty hard to cross thread a fastener of that depth and size.

Joer

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bunch of BMWs, M5, 135i, x5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
FYI you can buy a large dye to clean up the threads on this from Amazon. You just need to find out the size/thread pitch.

Judging from the picture, the damaged part is pretty far out from where the nut sits and shouldnā€™t have an effect on the integrity of the axle/hub.

Axle Spindle Rethreading Tool Set Repair/Cleaning Threading Tools High-Strength Tools Set Easy To Store Thread Restorer Use With 1-1/4" Socket Mechanic Tool Set For M20,22,24 13/16 3/4 x 20 UNEF 8pc https://a.co/d/338Cjum

that link is for a kit with a few different sizes. Iā€™m not sure what the thread size is on the bronco but the shop should be able to measure it.

Sponsored

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That sucks. This is why I installed my 2 inch lift without removing the axle. I removed lower control arm instead. Stage3 has a YouTube video on the process. Good luck
You should be able to run a Die on the threads and clean them up

BroncoU812

Black Diamond
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did the same thing to mine. The axles are extremely soft. Like use a flathead screwdriver to redo the threads soft. I ended up running a harbor freight die over the axle and a tap in the nut. (Didn't know they were "single use"

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

FYI you can buy a large dye to clean up the threads on this from Amazon. You just need to find out the size/thread pitch.

Judging from the picture, the damaged part is pretty far out from where the nut sits and shouldnā€™t have an effect on the integrity of the axle/hub.

Axle Spindle Rethreading Tool Set Repair/Cleaning Threading Tools High-Strength Tools Set Easy To Store Thread Restorer Use With 1-1/4" Socket Mechanic Tool Set For M20,22,24 13/16 3/4 x 20 UNEF 8pc https://a.co/d/338Cjum

that link is for a kit with a few different sizes. Iā€™m not sure what the thread size is on the bronco but the shop should be able to measure it.
This is the route I would go. If I didnā€™t just hand file it back nice. It has no impact on the cv joints or shaft integrity. It looks to be beyond where the nut will rest and itā€™s not stretched like an over torque situation. Clean up new nut and hand tools. Good to go.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I did the same thing to mine. The axles are extremely soft. Like use a flathead screwdriver to redo the threads soft. I ended up running a harbor freight die over the axle and a tap in the nut. (Didn't know they were "single use"
@BroncoU812 (or anyone else) do you remember the thread size and pitch?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks