Sponsored

Garmin in Entertainment System vs the Garmin OVERLANDER for GPS?

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have always stayed low-tech with my car. The only real important tech for me has been a flashlight and a GPS. I have relied on my handheld Garmin 60CSx for about 15 years and it still works like I got it yesterday. I've been reading how Garmin and Ford collaborated to put Garmin's tech into the Ford SYNC. So, I am wondering, from those who are familiar with the entertainment systems and those who rely on GPS - what are the values you've found in having the entertainment system? I'm ready to take the learning curve jump, but right now I'm prepared to not get the entertainment system and get a Garmin Overlander as a separate device. I don't want to complicate my use of the GPS, but I also don't want to be too stubborn to new stuff. Thanks

Here's an article on Garmin\Ford (Motortrend article)

Here's a video of the Garmin Overlander (I like the idea that I can take this out of my car and bring it to another car)

Overlander DETAILS from GARMIN:
Sponsored

SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
these days the only thing i care about is android auto/apple car play and use the factory system the least amount possible. I mean the system is cool now, what about in 10-15 years?

LemonShark

Outer Banks
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG, 2018 Honda Odyssey
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In my experience, the infotainment in modern cars is cool for like a week. Once you get it setup how you want things, the infinite adjustability and fancy features never get touched again.

It may be different with trail cameras, trail maps, useful driving modes, etc., but overall, for me, it's not as relevant as I thought it'd be to have a fancy, modern car.

For reference, I currently drive a 2018 Honda, and a 2018 Mercedes.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The new tech is easier to use and you can update things like maps on it. I have a Garmin I bought in 07 that I paid quite a bit for and used it twice. To get up to date data, you need to purchase it instead of just downloading.

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So apple/Android will only fully work if you have a cell signal. You can save the map for offline viewing, but it won't read trails or off road areas. Learned this the hard way when going to Yellowstone last July. Plus Garmin provides free map updates for their hardware. I still use my 6 year old ford sync 2 navigation in my 2014 fusion. It gets me to where I need to go & works all over the US.

If you plan to keep in cell service areas then Google maps (or any alternative) will do fine.

Sponsored
OP
OP
level3looper

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So apple/Android will only fully work if you have a cell signal. You can save the map for offline viewing, but it won't read trails or off road areas. Learned this the hard way when going to Yellowstone last July. Plus Garmin provides free map updates for their hardware. I still use my 6 year old ford sync 2 navigation in my 2014 fusion. It gets me to where I need to go & works all over the US.

If you plan to keep in cell service areas then Google maps (or any alternative) will do fine.
Thanks. I appreciate all the feedback. Here in New York, I'll be in the Catskills and Adirondacks mostly. There's very little cell service in these areas. Even getting GPS signals under the trees can get tough. I would really need the Garmin whether it's built in to the car or I get it separate.

In my experience, the infotainment in modern cars is cool for like a week. Once you get it setup how you want things, the infinite adjustability and fancy features never get touched again.

It may be different with trail cameras, trail maps, useful driving modes, etc., but overall, for me, it's not as relevant as I thought it'd be to have a fancy, modern car.

For reference, I currently drive a 2018 Honda, and a 2018 Mercedes.
This is where my head right now.

OP
OP
level3looper

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The new tech is easier to use and you can update things like maps on it. I have a Garmin I bought in 07 that I paid quite a bit for and used it twice. To get up to date data, you need to purchase it instead of just downloading.
Mine is the same, with old maps. I rely on it for using past tracks and taking new waypoints. The specs on the Garmin Overlander look like they now do map updates.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ride single track dirt bike trails a lot and the App of choice is Avenza. National Forest MVUM (multi use vehicle maps) are free. They download to your phone and work with zero cell and have a compass. They track all sorts of data. If the infotainment system could just mirror the screen with Avenza, I’d be set.

In Colorado, the OHV program funded development of the COTREX app which is a Colorado only trails map program that covers trails from hiking to “Jeep roads”. It’s stepped up its game lately is is a real go to for a lot of people here. Best thing, it’s free too. You can download sections to your phone for offline monitoring. Upload rides etc.
Sponsored