Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anybody use the Garmin Overlander GPS unit for off roading? Im looking at getting a GPS nav unit with SD compatibility to load Trans America Trail maps onto and this keeps popping up as the best unit for that. Just looking for someone with first hand experience using it. Just wanna make sure its user friendly for someone that is not very computer or electronics savvy.
Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anybody use the Garmin Overlander GPS unit for off roading? Im looking at getting a GPS nav unit with SD compatibility to load Trans America Trail maps onto and this keeps popping up as the best unit for that. Just looking for someone with first hand experience using it. Just wanna make sure its user friendly for someone that is not very computer or electronics savvy.
Why not use the built in NAV? Or connect your phone with android auto or apple Carplay and use a 3rd party map like Gaia GPS?
If you have a built in screen, why the need for a separate screen that only does GPS?

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ongoing thread about the Garmin Overlander on Expo - https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/garmin-overlander.205400/ - expensive, problematic, and there is a learning curve to setting it up.

While I agree (and plan on) running a separate device and not relying on Ford and their (yet to be seen) off-road navigation prowess, I think the Overlander is probably way too much money for adding it to do the same thing.. While the big screen on the High/Lux package is nice, it will be interesting to see what kind of resolution you can actually get and what kind of content/off-line maps are available (topo, National Forest MVUM, etc). If you're serious, look at Lowrance, that's where the big boys play, but it doesn't have nice curated routes showing all the neat places the "influencers" are getting paid to direct you to (along with every other YouTube wantabe).

Haven't seen Gaia on Android Auto/Car Play so not sure how well that works yet. I personally don't like relying on my phone to do too many things, even if it's more than capable. For me I have a separate 10" tablet running Gaia, allows for a lot of flexibility, zooms in/out real easy, a multitude of map sources and overlays. You do need to be prepared though and have the area you're heading to downloaded, which can be time consuming. It took a long time for me to down load all of the Nat Geo maps for Baja.

We did a navigation rally in Baja earlier this year. The maps and waypoints they were using all were on Orux Maps so had to have a separate device. I was actually able to run both Orux and Gaia at the same time (and eventually figured out how to import the waypoints into Gaia) so I could switch back and forth between the 2 and use different views, etc.

Ford Bronco Anyone use Garmin Overlander GPS? Baja Track.PNG

Reactions: rws

Sponsored
OP
OP
TNcoupe

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why not use the built in NAV? Or connect your phone with android auto or apple Carplay and use a 3rd party map like Gaia GPS?
If you have a built in screen, why the need for a separate screen that only does GPS?
I got standard interior and places Im going have no cell service. I barely have cell service at home.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got standard interior and places Im going have no cell service. I barely have cell service at home.
With Gaia, and apps like it, you can download maps to use offline. Maybe that doesn't help.

Espy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

With Gaia, and apps like it, you can download maps to use offline. Maybe that doesn't help.
I’m using an old Android phone with OnX Off-road. It has GPS and I can download the maps for offline use. Pretty simple set up.

OP
OP
TNcoupe

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I downloaded it last night. Im gonna give it a shot.
Sponsored