Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The NPR article below can provide context for the discussion. What are your thoughts on the state of the world moving towards electric vehicles? Will purchasing a strictly gas-powered vehicle now be difficult/expensive/possible to maintain 10-20 years from now? I'm 28, so will gas-powered vehicles become obsolete in my lifetime?

I plan on keeping my bronco until it falls apart, but it's going to have to be my daily driver as well as my "fun" vehicle for awhile. This is probably the one thing making me second guess my reservation for this model year, and waiting for at least the hybrid version to come out.

NPR article from February 2019:
Sponsored

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

IMO, no. The media and politicians want to pretend we're going to flip a switch and suddenly everyone 100% will be driving electric cars tomorrow. The reality is it's going to take decades for a full transition unless they outright outlaw gas powered cars altogether (which I wouldn't put past a certain party). Think about it - EVs right now make up roughly 2% of the new car market. 2% Even if somehow that became 100% tomorrow, you still have millions upon millions of gas powered vehicles already on the road that will have to live out their lives from both the first owner, then the second, third, etc. Look at how many cars from 20-30 years ago are still driving around now. It'll be the same for cars sold today. My guess is it'll be at least 30-50 years before we really see gas powered vehicles start to become harder to find.

And as Corsair pointed out, that's ignoring power consumption which is an issue itself, as the power grid isn't adequate for an entire country of EVs.

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As long as gasoline stays inexpensive ICE powered cars will continue to dominate sales. The Hybrid and PHEV and electric only cars will continue to be sold alongside ICE cars however and their percentage sales will increase as their price premium comes down and gas prices go back up.

My plan is to continue to use the highly developed gasoline powered cars until either gas becomes prohibitively expensive or the PHEV/EV cars can be charged as easily and in as many convenient locations.
I want to have no range anxiety even when traveling across states and do not want to tailor my route to the location of charging stations.

The Bronco being an off-road capable vehicle means that purely EV versions are not practical for the foreseeable future and gas being as inexpensive as it is makes waiting for a more expensive Hybrid version to be without merit as well.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gas vehicles are obsolete..now. Electrics just tend to be too expensive for most. Electric provides far more power than an ICE and doesn't require nearly the maintenance. Once infrastructure is in place enough to provide reliable charging Nationally, you'd be hard pressed to explain why ICE is better.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The NPR article below can provide context for the discussion. What are your thoughts on the state of the world moving towards electric vehicles? Will purchasing a strictly gas-powered vehicle now be difficult/expensive/possible to maintain 10-20 years from now? I'm 28, so will gas-powered vehicles become obsolete in my lifetime?

I plan on keeping my bronco until it falls apart, but it's going to have to be my daily driver as well as my "fun" vehicle for awhile. This is probably the one thing making me second guess my reservation for this model year, and waiting for at least the hybrid version to come out.

NPR article from February 2019:
Gas will still be around for 30 years plus. Pure electrics are only 1.9% of the new cars sold in US right now (329K vs 17.1 million) and even if they somehow reached 50% next year, average age of cars on the road is now over 11 years. Electrics would have to be 100% of the sales for 11 years just to have half an electric car US fleet.

I think you are safe.............

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just as solar/wind is not a viable alternative to traditional power generation, I don’t believe electric vehicles will ever be a superior choice to ICEs.
Electric is already better than ice

only problem is batteries are not there yet

when they are. Ice cars will disappear in less than 20 years

OP
OP
BeerForMyHorses

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I guess if my only two options were ICE or EV, the stats lay out the answer pretty clearly. What about the potential hybrid option?

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Electric is already better than ice

only problem is batteries are not there yet

when they are. Ice cars will disappear in less than 20 years
Except they’re not, and probably never will be.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Gas vehicles are obsolete..now. Electrics just tend to be too expensive for most. Electric provides far more power than an ICE and doesn't require nearly the maintenance. Once infrastructure is in place enough to provide reliable charging Nationally, you'd be hard pressed to explain why ICE is better.
Can take fuel along (offroad).
Super quick refills.
Short ranges already, not severely reduced to almost unusable in cold temps or towing.
Have full knowledge and tools to fix them.
Park in up to 8 different locations on my 5 acres, thousands to run plugs all over or have ext cords running wild (and then have to plow over them when frozen to ground).
Unknown if proprietary information will be available to reverse engineer computer and software 40-50 years from now for collector vehicles (absolute worse case, I can convert a brand new coyote to carb if I didn't want to worry about most of the electronics or VVT).

And yes, I get that electrics will improve on most of the above, but that is where we are today.

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Newsom finally acknowledged that renewables have failed. I doubt that it’ll be remembered once the heat goes away though.

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Except they’re not, and probably never will be.
except that a basic electric motor has more torque and horsepower potential than high end supercar engines

And once solid state batteries ,which charge fast (5 minutes) , dont have dendrites , and wont catch on fire are able to be mass produced , yes ICE cars are obsolete overnight. Every "Daily driver" will have a balls to the wall hack where you can burn your tires out 0 to 60 in 2 seconds.

Like there is no debate. We are talking horse and buggy vs corvette.

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Gas is used to produce electricity if that tells you anything. Electric vehicles are simpler and much fewer parts, but the energy density of gasoline per pound far exceeds any electric storage of equal weight. Electric vehicles have there place just like gas and other energy types. We're not even getting into the environmental impacts being ignored by the battery industry. Now if the apocalypse happens and an Electronic Magnetic Pulse weapon is deployed over a city, a 1960s mechanically operated carbureted Bronco will be your best bet!
Sponsored

Last edited: