Sponsored

Gas versus hybrid/electric Bronco?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Except they’re not, and probably never will be.
They might, but not any time soon enough you have to worry about buying an IC bronco right now.
Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
except that a basic electric motor has more torque and horsepower potential than high end supercar engines

And once solid state batteries ,which charge fast (5 minutes) , dont have dendrites , and wont catch on fire are able to be mass produced , yes ICE cars are obsolete overnight. Every "Daily driver" will have a balls to the wall hack where you can burn your tires out 0 to 60 in 2 seconds.

Like there is no debate. We are talking horse and buggy vs corvette.
Torque, Yes, HP No. You can buy 1200 Hp IC for 45 grand https://www.thedrive.com/news/7379/crazy-ohio-dealership-now-selling-1200-hp-ford-mustangs-for-45k

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What if you forget to charge your car over night, now you’re inconvenienced for hours instead of a couple minutes.

I’m not opposed to electric but for my personal use it’s not there yet. For my work van maybe but then I’d probably have to park it at the shop so it could be charged every night. Would suck when on call
That's really not an issue

Did you drive 300 miles the day before and come home with zero battery?

Do you also need a full charge because you're about to drive 300 more?

Realistically you don't drain your battery down enough to require charging every night.

Also, charging goes fastest when your battery is lowest. So if you only need 50 miles from a dead battery that actually doesn't take very long. The more full your battery is the slower it charges.

If you run out of fuel, electric or gas... you're in for a crappy day. Waiting for AAA to bring you a gallon isn't fast either.

If you just don't like electric that's cool, the options right now are not great, but a lot of the talking points against them are just incorrect.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Do you also need a full charge because you're about to drive 300 more? ?
No, possibly 700. Some don't want to be a slave to charging their car.
I went 700 miles (and laid out the trip in a separate post) not that
long ago. It was on a whim to go look at a super cheap built EB.
And that kind of deal could pop up at any time. Those with a
completely structured life with no surprises ever, would be fine I guess.

Sponsored

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad your ignorance can bring you enjoyment. ?
Yes. Clearly we're all a bunch of fucking retards for thinking that renewable fossil fuel alternatives are an important, beneficial, and necessary part of our current and future energy infrastructure. FIRE UP THE COAL PLANTS!!!!

Circling back to the topic at hand - the benefits of getting a system like the Euro Explorer would be fantastic for me. Fast, responsive, instantaneous low end torque, no need for a second house battery, and the first 20 miles of my wife's commute will be free. Sure it'll be heavier and more expensive and it may not be your cup of tea, but screaming that ICE is better and trashing renewable energy for whatever reason doesn't make you look as smart as you think.

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes. Clearly we're all a bunch of fucking retards for thinking that renewable fossil fuel alternatives are an important, beneficial, and necessary part of our current and future energy infrastructure. FIRE UP THE COAL PLANTS!!!!

Circling back to the topic at hand - the benefits of getting a system like the Euro Explorer would be fantastic for me. Fast, responsive, instantaneous low end torque, no need for a second house battery, and the first 20 miles of my wife's commute will be free. Sure it'll be heavier and more expensive and it may not be your cup of tea, but screaming that ICE is better and trashing renewable energy for whatever reason doesn't make you look as smart as you think.
Yep, sources of energy that are useless when the most power is being used are the only alternatives to fossil fuels. /s ????

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've owned a Camry hybrid, four Prius's of which 2 are now our children's cars. The only non Airbag problem we had was the 06 Prius needed a new battery in 2018, and the 07 had its replaced in October. Toyota assisted with 50% of the 06's cost as it was 12 years old, but only 57,000 miles. Our cost was $2,300. The 07 we took a chance with a company called Green Bean, and they replaced it for around $1200. None of the ICE portions on all 4 of them needed anything but oil changes. I think having a hybrid that carries around its own "Power Plant" is ideal.

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, sources of energy that are useless when the most power is being used are the only alternatives to fossil fuels. /s ????
Like...wut? It's a storage problem, not a production problem. It's solvable. Why are you the way you are?

Sponsored

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like...wut? It's a storage problem, not a production problem. It's solvable. Why are you the way you are?
Like what? Considering there’s only one serious, viable alternative currently available to fossil fuels for power generation, it’s pretty obvious what it is. The storage problem is a pretty glaring one. It’s not even in sight of being solved in order to power the grid. Plenty of people getting rich fooling people into thinking it is I guess.

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you just don't like electric that's cool, the options right now are not great, but a lot of the talking points against them are just incorrect.
Yea man, I can't understand the people that are anti-EVs. Like, it doesn't work for your needs? No problem, buy something else. Evaluate the pros and cons and make your choice.

But arguing that EVs are categorically bad? It makes no sense.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Remember 6.00/gallon gas in 2005? If you've ever driven a Tesla, you'll know that ICE motors have absolutely nothing on them. The best Shelby will never be more impressive than a Tesla. I love ICE motors but if you've ever driven a performance EV you can't possibly say ICE is better.

OP
OP
BeerForMyHorses

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model