Base
Clubs

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why's that?
Mostly because every vehicle I have every owned has been older than me and been carburated. This will be my first new vehicle, and I feel like I need to be an Electrician to work on it. I know very little about newer engines. I'm willing to learn, but I am a self taught garage mechanic. I do it as a hobby. So an electric / hybrid vehicle might as well be rocket science to me. If I could slap a 460 in this I would.

GreatDaneMom

Badlands
First Name
Diana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR Badlands; Genuine Buddy Scooter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To qualify my comment: I drive a Tesla Model 3 (my vehicle) and a Toyota Sequoia (the "dog" vehicle). I also worked for 20 years for gas & electric utilities in CA and GA, including writing solar energy, energy efficiency and electric vehicle communications. To address the OPs original question, my guess is that while ICE vehicles won't be obsolete 10-20 years from now, the infrastructure, options and availability of PHEVs and EVs will be much greater than we're seeing today. What makes the pace so hard to predict is that EV adoption isn't consistent across the country. High gas prices and regulatory requirements in CA created a huge demand for alternative energy. However, here in GA where electric and gasoline prices are relatively low the interest in EVs was bolstered by a generous tax credit that's now disappeared, taking the high demand for EVs along with it. So, not all of the country is on the same pace... however, as the article confirms, change is a-coming. How long that will take and what percentage of the market EVs will command is anyone's guess. That said, as those of us in the industry have long since known, adopting alternative energy technology in any form is a personal choice. I love my Tesla. I love that she's low maintenance. I don't worry about range anxiety because charging stations are everywhere... and many of them are free. With a rebate from my local utility I was able to install a home charger at very little cost. And being able to ride solo in the HOV lane is priceless in this Atlanta traffic! Finally, despite the energy it takes to produce these cars, I feel good that I'm doing my part to help the environment. Still, as much as I love "Trinity" (my Tesla) I've been waiting for an electric vehicle big enough (and cool enough) to transport my Great Danes. Getting a 2021 Bronco while waiting patiently for the PHEV version to hit the market!

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Getting a 2021 Bronco while waiting patiently for the PHEV version to hit the market!
Hear hear. If Veronica is the last ICE-only vehicle I own then I'll be proud that she's a Bronco and a manual to boot.

We can all argue about energy grids and battery technologies but the simplicity and instant torque of electric motors is undeniable, and one day - however long it takes to come - they'll be much more the norm than the exception in one form or the other. Instead of PHEV I'm warming up to the idea of an electric-only drivetrain with gas (or diesel or propane or dual-fuel, etc.) generator as backup. This will keep all of the advantages of electric motors (tank turn!!) while massively reducing the complexity involved with the ICE portion that gives us greater range and flexibility.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yea man, I can't understand the people that are anti-EVs. Like, it doesn't work for your needs? No problem, buy something else. Evaluate the pros and cons and make your choice.

But arguing that EVs are categorically bad? It makes no sense.
At least one person in this thread said there is no reason not to buy an EV. To which I replied a bunch of reasons.

If the intense badgering stops on not buying a pure EV, the responses about not wanting an EV will also stop. I didn't buy an EV and will continue not doing so (until they are as convenient as a IC car), just like every person on this board buying a new bronco.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Markubis

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, Ford Ranger XLT, Can Am Ryker
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
IMO, no. The media and politicians want to pretend we're going to flip a switch and suddenly everyone 100% will be driving electric cars tomorrow. The reality is it's going to take decades for a full transition unless they outright outlaw gas powered cars altogether (which I wouldn't put past a certain party). Think about it - EVs right now make up roughly 2% of the new car market. 2% Even if somehow that became 100% tomorrow, you still have millions upon millions of gas powered vehicles already on the road that will have to live out their lives from both the first owner, then the second, third, etc. Look at how many cars from 20-30 years ago are still driving around now. It'll be the same for cars sold today. My guess is it'll be at least 30-50 years before we really see gas powered vehicles start to become harder to find.

And as Corsair pointed out, that's ignoring power consumption which is an issue itself, as the power grid isn't adequate for an entire country of EVs.
Agreed
And I would like to add that if we don't come up with alternative battery technologies we will deplete the current materials used for batteries currently.

Six Miles South

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To be honest, I didn't think I'd be buying a new ICE vehicle after my wife's '18 Outback. I have '09 Outback as a daily, and two fun cars. I don't have anything against gasoline, in fact, one of my favorite things to do is after I put my '57 Alfa away after a drive, I'll go back out to the garage 10 minutes later to just savor the smell (old car guys will know what I mean).

I thought I'd drive the Subie for a few more years and then buy an electric car as they are continually improving and I don't worry about range as much since I work from home and have the wife's car for longer trips. But then... I saw the Bronco and fell in love. I would buy an EV version, and I'm sure there's one coming down the line. So that might be a second family Bronco eventually.

GreatDaneMom

Badlands
First Name
Diana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR Badlands; Genuine Buddy Scooter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No such thing. It is range deficiency that many don't want to be saddled with.
Let's not get into a battle of semantics, please. As I mentioned in my comment, I actually worked for the utility for 20-plus years and I can tell you that "range anxiety" is indeed a real issue. Perhaps not for you, but it's a common concern that continually appeared in our focus groups, surveys and tons of other research... so much so that the term is quite common not only in the industry but amongst EV and non-EV owners. Feel free to call it "range deficiency" if you like. However, as a professional who has worked in the industry and specifically on EV programs on both coasts, I can tell you that range anxiety is indeed a thing. Peace out...

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did ya miss my whole part about infrastructure? CA blackouts are because of CA energy policies but I digress. Anyone who has driven a EV knows they are far better than ICE motors as far as performance and maintenance. (going 0-60 in 3 seconds is insane with zero noise) When infrastructure catches up, the game will be over for ICE. Just as you don't see any horse and buggies going down I95, you aren't going to see ICE vehicles when the infrastructure is in place.

Sponsored

bobbleheadguru

Base
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When we get to that point, you would probably be able to swap out the ICE for an electric setup retro-kit.

I drove Volts as daily drivers for 6 years. 90% of the time, even with very limited electric only range of 40 miles, I was still able to avoid using gas. Twice, I went over 2,500 miles between fill-ups of 9 gallons.

We are not that far away from "hockey stick growth" as we now have vehicles with 8X that range for under 50K.

As soon as we all realize that about 200 miles range is probably acceptable for most people/most of the time and the price dips under $30K without incentives for an average vehicle, I think they will take off.

bobbleheadguru

Base
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When I drove my Volt, they gave me the option of paying 1/2 if I just programed my car to charge when I was sleeping. Powerplants have to stay on 24/7 even though 80% of demand is reduced from 1am to 5am.

bobbleheadguru

Base
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Gas is used to produce electricity if that tells you anything. Electric vehicles are simpler and much fewer parts, but the energy density of gasoline per pound far exceeds any electric storage of equal weight. Electric vehicles have there place just like gas and other energy types. We're not even getting into the environmental impacts being ignored by the battery industry. Now if the apocalypse happens and an Electronic Magnetic Pulse weapon is deployed over a city, a 1960s mechanically operated carbureted Bronco will be your best bet!

Very rarely is gas used to produce electricity, and only as an inefficient emergency backup, like a generator.

Much more often it is Solar, Wind, Nuclear and Coal. In the case of Coal, it is declining, but even if you have a "coal powered" EV, the emissions are spewed in a very controlled/regulated way away from population centers v. directly into the sideway air that we breathe.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I fully expect my Bronco to be my last ICE purchase. Will do electric next.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model