Sponsored

Gear ratio to tire size - sasquatch or not?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Lots of factors that play into choosing the correct gears for a specific vehicle.
That's for sure!

I've been trying to research the real-world difference between the 4.7:1 and 4.46:1 that will be experienced with the 2.3/MT combo in Bronco. That's one of the factors between getting Black Diamond and Badlands for me. And so far it's just a bunch of math that hasn't "clicked" to real-world driving yet.

Full disclosure: I'm probably sticking with 33" tires at max in either case.
Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not the 2.7 but I have the 3.5EB in my super crew f150, 35" MT tires, 6" lift, truck weighs 5700lbs, live in CO at higher elevation and it hauls a**, runs 70-75mph comfortably with the turbo engine and I only have 3.31 gears. Holds 10th gear all day long at less than 2k RPM and when towing up the mountain passes it holds 8th gear. In my 05 wrangler w/ the 4.0 and 4speed auto w/ 35" MT tires, it was unbearable to drive with the 4.88 gearing and deep O/D so I had to turbo that engine and its a whole different beast now. Moving to 5.13s wouldn't have made a drastic enough difference.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thank you @kodiakisland and @NCOBX for the responses. Helps a great deal if I don't go Squatch, now I know opt for the 4.46 or 4.7's. I appreciate the info.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@kodiakisland you seem to be well versed in gears and I'm at a loss. I come from FSB's that had 351's under the hood, and after a quick Google search had 3.55 gears in the rear. We all know around 210 hp and I want to say 350 lb ft of torque. Either had 33" AT's or 35" MT's. Always had great acceleration and could tow 5000+ lbs without issue.

Wife's Jeep (2017) I know it sucks.. But has the V6, 33" tires, 3.23 gears? Acceleration OK, but can't tow shit.. Huge dog, talking towing empty 1600lb trailer.

So if I get the 2.7 in my Bronco and will tow 3500 lbs running 33's or 35's would I be OK with the 3.73 gears? Or should I look at the 4.46 or 4.70's? I ask because I may not opt for the Squatch package, but if I can't tow 3500 lbs with what I consider to be enough power I'm gonna be pissed I got the wrong gears in the rear.

Thanks in advance.
I hear you, my wife's Grand Cherokee has 3.55 gears w/ the 3.6 and I can't stand towing our 3400lb camper out here in CO so we now just take my f150 w/ the 3.5EB. Climbing mountain passes in the jeep in 3-4th gear at 55mph is not enjoyable when my truck can do it in 8th gear, just over 2k RPM and pass vehicles like the trailer isn't behind it.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's for sure!

I've been trying to research the real-world difference between the 4.7:1 and 4.46:1 that will be experienced with the 2.3/MT combo in Bronco. That's one of the factors between getting Black Diamond and Badlands for me. And so far it's just a bunch of math that hasn't "clicked" to real-world driving yet.

It probably won't make much of a difference unless you are right on the edge of working/not working.

For me, I want the lowest I can start with, so if I am on the edge of working/not working, I'm that much closer to working. In my 4cyl Tacoma, 150rpm can be the difference in needing to downshift or staying in the gear I'm in. Some engines, like underpowered 4cyls, need to be in a higher RPM range and every little bit helps.
The lower the gears, the better your in town driving is going to be and the better your low speed off road driving will be. Whether you notice the better or not will probably be more up to you than anything else.

I see no down side to the 4.70s because both transmissions are geared high enough for any reasonable interstate driving you will do.

Sponsored

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The more gearing you have the happier you will be.

I think you will be fine with 4.46 and the auto, itā€™s not going to be a speed demon by any stretch but 35s arenā€™t really a massive or heavy tire so you will be fine. You will definitely lose some fuel economy having the 4.46s instead of the 4.70s but I mean itā€™s an off-road truck so it is what it is.
So 4.70 will get better mileage? Iā€™m trying to decide between BLā€™s 33s with 4.46 or Sasquatch 35ā€™s with 4.70. I donā€™t want a slug and MPG matter since this will be a DD.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's for sure!

Since you've posted you prefer sporty performance, the 4.7 Badlands on 33's is the ticket.

When you are driving down the highway, the 7M + 4.7 gears will only need a downshift to 5th (1st OD) to bump the RPMs to about 2500.
Just under where the turbo kicks in.
A downshift to Direct 4th, will be around 3100RPM.
The turbo will start screaming instantly.

The 4.46 otoh, would need to be down shifted an extra gear respectively to get the same results.
Worse, the 7M has wide ratio gears 1-4, so the RPMs will jump nonlinear going down 5-4-3.

So, the 4.46 will stress the motor more for the same spirited highway driving compared to 4.7.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Since you've posted you prefer sporty performance, the 4.7 Badlands on 33's is the ticket.

When you are driving down the highway, the 7M + 4.7 gears will only need a downshift to 5th (1st OD) to bump the RPMs to about 2500.
Just under where the turbo kicks in.
A downshift to Direct 4th, will be around 3100RPM.
The turbo will start screaming instantly.

The 4.46 otoh, would need to be down shifted an extra gear respectively to get the same results.
Worse, the 7M has wide ratio gears 1-4, so the RPMs will jump nonlinear going down 5-4-3.

So, the 4.46 will stress the motor more for the same spirited highway driving compared to 4.7.
Really appreciate your post and feedback!

Curious if you can run the calculation off the top of your head or if there is an online tool that you've found to be most handy? That would help me/others out in the future!

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
So 4.70 will get better mileage? Iā€™m trying to decide between BLā€™s 33s with 4.46 or Sasquatch 35ā€™s with 4.70. I donā€™t want a slug and MPG matter since this will be a DD.
Yes 4.70s will keep you in the higher gears and take less energy to get you moving in the lower gears. Power and MPG will be better with the steeper gears for 35s
Sponsored