Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
[EDIT] LOOK HERE : Fixed Version By Grainger Ford. [/EDIT]

How should pricing work at a legit dealer. I see two scenarios:
1) XPlan

In this case total out of pocket is:
  • XPlan price = (Invoice * 0.004)
  • Doc fees: ~$100 (capped in Xplan Pricing)
  • Tax & Tags: Depends on state - fixed cost

IMPORTANT: As I understand it the XPLan fee ($275 and the destination charges ) ARE ALREADY Included in the negotiated XPLAN price. Is this correct?

If using X-Plan then the total out the door price (in state) is the XPlan price on the invoice + Up $100 doc fee + tax and tags. Dealer may choose to discount the XPlan price further - but cannot raise it.​

2) Negotiated Price
  • Negotiated Price
  • Destination Fee
  • Doc Fees (Not capped so pay attention)
  • Tax & Tags : Depends on state - fixed cost

So to simplify no matter if using XPlan or not - the paperwork should show something like this:
PRICE
Destination Fee
Doc Fees
Tax and Tags : Depends on state - fixed cost

* Destination fee should be ZERO for XPlan and Doc Fees MAX = $100 for XPlan.
* Tax and Tags can be swapped for temp tags if buying out of state

Seems like the best way to work with a dealer then is to ask if they support XPlan and if not, get a price that would be all inclusive except tax and tags - where they specifically state that the agreed upon deal includes the destination fee and doc fees.

Is this all correct?

As an example - lets say that state tax is 6 percent and registration fees are $75.00.

If Dealer 1 says they support XPlan and your build has a 50,000 Invoice then you expect the XPLan Price to be:
50,000 - (50,000 * 0.004) = 49800
Doc fees : 100
Tax = 50075 * .06 = 2988
Registration = $75
Total out the door price 49800 + 100 + 2988 + 75 = 52963

Dealer 2 says = "Well give you Invoice Price" but with out any nitty gritty details. They could structure the deal as follows:
Price : 50,000
Destination Fee: 1,475
Doc Fee: 275
Tax: 50000*.06 = 3000
Registration = $75
Total out the door price: 50000 + 1475 + 275 + 3000 + 75 = 54825

So when talking with dealers we really can't ask what the "price" is. We need them to state the base price from invoice plus all additional fees including Destination and Doc fees if we want to make an informed choice.

In the above example two prices that were supposed to be "at invoice" were really > 1800 apart. Pretty big spread for supposedly the same deal.

Make sense?
Sponsored

Last edited:

tonyxit

Base
First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
1) XPlan

• XPlan price = (Invoice * 0.004)
  • Tax & Tags: Depends on state - fixed cost

IMPORTANT: As I understand it the XPLan fee ($275 and the destination charges ) ARE ALREADY Included in the negotiated XPLAN price. Is this correct?

If using X-Plan then the total out the door price (in state) is the XPlan price on the invoice + Up $100 doc fee + tax and tags. Dealer may choose to discount the XPlan price further - but cannot raise it.​

2) Negotiated Price
  • Negotiated Price
  • Destination Fee

So to simplify no matter if using XPlan or not - the paperwork should show something like this:
PRICE
Destination Fee
Doc Fees

Seems like the best way to work with a dealer then is to ask if they support XPlan and if not, get a price that would be all inclusive except tax and tags - where they specifically state that the agreed upon deal includes the destination fee and doc fees.

Is this all correct?

As an example - lets say that state tax is 6 percent and registration fees are $75.00.

If Dealer 1 says they support XPlan and your build has a 50,000 Invoice then you expect the XPLan Price to be:
50,000 - (50,000 * 0.004) = 49800
Tax = 50075 * .06 = 2988
Registration = $75
Total out the door price 49800 + 100 + 2988 + 75 = 52963

Dealer 2 says = "Well give you Invoice Price" but with out any nitty gritty details. They could structure the deal as follows:
Price : 50,000
Registration = $75
Total out the door price: 50000 + 1475 + 275 + 3000 + 75 = 54825

So when talking with dealers we really can't ask what the "price" is. We need them to state the base price from invoice plus all additional fees including Destination and Doc fees if we want to make an informed choice.

In the above example two prices that were supposed to be "at invoice" were really > 1800 apart. Pretty big spread for supposedly the same deal.

Make sense?
The Ford destination chg is part of invoice....it is carved in stone...some dealers will dream up additional chgs....don't fall for it....xplan has destination fee included....your dealer # 1 is who you do biz with

OP
OP

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK, I think I get it. My confusion is in the definition of "invoice".

From looking here: XPlan Invoice Example

It seems clear that Invoice includes destination fees, and possibly various other fees.

I think when we talk about invoice in this forum we're really talking about a portion on the real invoice price called "Total Vehicle and Options". The invoice may actually have other things tagged on such as:
  • Destination ad delivery
  • Fuel Charge
  • Advertising Assessment

This makes my above example incorrect. If I assume invoice is included in X-PLAN invoice then I should also assume it's included in the Dealer 2 invoice example.

rcamwilkes

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Yaris
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sponsored

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1) XPlan

• XPlan price = (Invoice * 0.004) +275 for the final X plan pricing
  • Tax & Tags: Depends on state - fixed cos
2) Negotiated Price
  • Negotiated Price will include the 1,495 Freight
  • Destination Fee

PRICE Included in price is Freight 1,495 on all Bronco's
Destination Fee

Doc Fees

Is this all correct?

50,000 - (50,000 * 0.004) = 49800 +275 = 50075
Tax = 50075 * .06 = 2988 50,175 * 6% = 3,010.50
Registration = $75
Total out the door price 49800 50,075 + 100 + 2988 3010.50 + 75 = 52963 $53,185.50

Price : 50,000 includes Freight
Registration = $75
Total out the door price: 50000 + 1475 + 275 + 3000 + 75 = 54825 $53,075

Corrected

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wow, that hurts. If it makes you feel better our roads suck and we have to pay $500 a year for plates.
Ha. I come down to SC from Canada every spring to ride bikes on your roads. Better than ours.

500 a year for plates is wild though.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

buildbigboats

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been wondering about how legally binding an order would be. Suppose (paranoid scenario) you and a shady dealer agreed on a final price and configuration, sign some paperwork (not sure what type of paperwork...buyer's order?) and submitted the order to Ford. 6 months later Bronco comes in configured perfect, you're excited ready to pay and go when he tells you...oh by the way the salesman and/or sales manager who signed all this no longer work here and we have a new policy to add a $xxxx dealer fee. You'd then either pay up, walk away or take legal action.
Is such a scenario possible? Are the documents agreed to and signed at time of ordering a legally binding contract? Are there specific types of paperwork we should have to ensure no at delivery funny business?

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been wondering about how legally binding an order would be. Suppose (paranoid scenario) you and a shady dealer agreed on a final price and configuration, sign some paperwork (not sure what type of paperwork...buyer's order?) and submitted the order to Ford. 6 months later Bronco comes in configured perfect, you're excited ready to pay and go when he tells you...oh by the way the salesman and/or sales manager who signed all this no longer work here and we have a new policy to add a $xxxx dealer fee. You'd then either pay up, walk away or take legal action.
Is such a scenario possible? Are the documents agreed to and signed at time of ordering a legally binding contract? Are there specific types of paperwork we should have to ensure no at delivery funny business?

Simple answer - Don't deal with a shady dealer...but how do you know?

I suppose there is nothing you could do about it, however I would contact Ford's customer dealer relations person to get involved...

We do service work on vehicles that customers have customers have called about to get help.

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is and isn't. By the time you spent money on lawyers and court cost, the years it would take... would not be worth it. On the other hand it would really hurt the reputation of any dealership pulling this, and with the internet it'd be all over their reviews. You might not like it, but until you sign the financing paperwork, you can walk away. Yea, you'll have to go to another dealership and order your Bronco again and wait even longer... but don't feel locked in until you sign for the Bronco.

buildbigboats

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It is and isn't. By the time you spent money on lawyers and court cost, the years it would take... would not be worth it. On the other hand it would really hurt the reputation of any dealership pulling this, and with the internet it'd be all over their reviews. You might not like it, but until you sign the financing paperwork, you can walk away. Yea, you'll have to go to another dealership and order your Bronco again and wait even longer... but don't feel locked in until you sign for the Bronco.
My thought was not with me feeling locked in but with a shady dealer low-balling you to get you to submit an order then once the Bronco is sitting there in front of you trying to get more out of you. Other than maybe a bad review what do they have to lose? Either you pay up or walk away and they sell it for a premium to any one of the dozen people waiting. What protection other than putting a bad review on the internet would a buyer in this situation have?
Sponsored