Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh really? I was with SNAPON for 17 years in sales and management. I have toured all U.S. factories. I helped put the girls through State Colleges.
What tools are still made in the USA by Snap-On?
  • Wrenches
  • Screwdrivers
  • Ratchets
  • Roll Cabs for Tool Storage
  • Sandblasters
What tools have Snap-On started to make outside the US?
  • Welding Helmets – China
  • Cordless Screwdriver Kit – China
  • Gas Torches – Ireland
  • Welding Helmets – China
  • Safety Gloves – China
  • Air Compressors – Canada and China
When did you leave? Might have known my Father-In-Law since he own's the St.Charles Territory.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a question regarding the Manual Sasquatch package: what’s the reason for the late availability?? Is the transmission the weak link???
If so, there will be two manual transmissions: one for non Sasquatch and one Sasquatch?
Clearly not the case with the 10 speed auto.
Thoughts?
Sasquatch has nothing related to drivetrain that would necessitate a different transmission. The Badlands already has all the same parts, with the manual. So, your guess is as good as anyone else's guess.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is known.

April 2020 is when I knew about this.

Feelings:

Buying anything is a leap of faith. Decide to jump or don't.

Worrying is a waste of time and energy.

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
When did you leave? Might have known my Father-In-Law since he own's the St.Charles Territory.
Route sales in Central Iowa. Management, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Jacksonvile Fl. and Alabama. Career: 1980-1998.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Making a wild guess that all your BMW's are 70's-90's cars. They are famous for having well synchronized gearing and also lock-out pins to prevent you from doing stupid things to your transmission.

Below is the shift box from my '51 Fleetline. Now, I get it, 1st gear isn't synchronized in this 3-on-the-tree vehicle, and this is a famous shift box for having to make absolutely square (ie: 90 degree) articulation of the shift lever without cutting corners or "hammer shifting" (forcing it into gear quickly), but this is the patented example of what happens when having metal components in a position other than that which they were designed to be in:

As you can see, the NOS shift box (top) has full housing walls, the dog sits square in the jaws and the jaws themselves are nice and toit like a toiger.

The bottom box has been hammer shifted and clearly had pressure on it most of the 23,000 miles of it's life (that's a decent replacement interval for post-war late 40's carry-over engineering, the 1950's cleared this up as metal became available for the first time in almost a decade). Notice the housing walls have worn down causing the jaws to be spread apart and the dog has rounded the jaw teeth.

Now, i'm lucky as hell to have found a NOS 1948 car shift box that sat on a parts room shelf for the past 82 years. Paid a pretty penny for it as well. Long story short, yes, forcing metal on metal contact will induce premature wear, EVEN if you're using Molykote (likely used in your Germanic rigs). I also swapped out all the chassis lube pictured for Molykote, but that's only going to extend the life, not solve the problem.

shift box replacement.jpg
1989 E30 (257K). 1997 Z3 (192K). 2005 E46 330i (120K). 2006 325i (399K). 2008 Z4 Coupe (103K). My commute is 170 miles a day.

When I blow up a manual I'll post about it. And my cars see hard back country road driving. Again, all the BMWs have been Getrag manual transmissions.

The auto in my H3T lasted about 75,000 miles until it lost 3rd gear. LOL.

Sponsored

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Let's be honest, "made in USA" automobiles haven't exactly dominated the long-term reliability charts over the past 5 decades. My 2016 Durango (my first domestic auto purchase since I was a teenager in the 80s) water pump ate itself at 41k miles on the freeway at 75 mph with a load full of Boy Scouts and a trailer full of camping gear, leaving us stranded on the side of the road with two cylinder heads nuked and a cracked plastic radiator from the belt shrapnel. And ask me how many water-filled LED taillight lenses I've had to deal with.

Meanwhile, my made-in-Mexico VW Jetta wagon went to 110k needing literally nothing more than a battery replacement before I sold it back to VW in the great diesel cheat scandal. Not a single trip to the dealership for warranty fixes, not a single trip to a shop for post-warranty fixes.

It's all about the design/engineering, quality control and manufacturing specifications/oversight, not where the factory is physically located.

CCross

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax, 2000 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Toyota doesn't even rank as American made until way down the line. Buy a Ranger.

https://www.cars.com/articles/the-c...de-index-which-cars-are-most-american-422711/
Is this something people cross shop. I know there are a lot of people on here that hate on the 2.3. I test drove a Ranger 2.3 and happen to like it. Especially since I’m getting it paired with a 7-sp manual in my Bronco. But it’s nothing compared to the 5.7 I had in my Tundra at least in terms of pure unadulterated power. It would toss you back in the seat even in a heavy crew cab TRD 4x4.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
*Cologne V6 was designed in Cologne Germany, most of them were made there too.

I never tracked down what hole my 2.8 crawled out of...

The Ranger 2.3 is assembled at the Cleveland plant as far as I know. Most of the parts are made in Mexico, I would assume the Bronco would be similar?
Back in the 1980s I was a big proponent of Made in the USA (still am but not as hard core). I bought the Ranger new in February 1987. I distinctly remember the Maroney window sticker stated the engine was sourced from Brazil and the transmission from Japan (a Mazda unit I'd bet). The point is it was a great truck.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Its no myth ive taken plenty of transmissions apart those forks are wear items as are the shoes ,leave it alone till you shift

Sponsored

Tlarkinjeri

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Mariner, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well, where is the AT being made? Is it also Getrag?

brentutk

Wildtrak
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Lots of China bashing being typed on Chinese made phone components in this thread. Sorry guys but everything from the LCD screens to the manual transmissions to the Warn winches are made in China. Even some Goodyear tires.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Only the lower-end Warn winches, definitely not all or most. Warn still builds winches in Oregon.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Back in the 1980s I was a big proponent of Made in the USA (still am but not as hard core). I bought the Ranger new in February 1987. I distinctly remember the Maroney window sticker stated the engine was sourced from Brazil and the transmission from Japan (a Mazda unit I'd bet). The point is it was a great truck.
It could be, they had a couple plants. I know they also made them in the US too... supposedly that is where most of the bad ones came from.

Trans could have been Mitsubishi or Mazda (Toyo-Koyo). It was kind of a mixed bag on manuals until they settled on Mazda. I have a M5ODR2 in mine out of a ‘150, I love it.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It could be, they had a couple plants. I know they also made them in the US too... supposedly that is where most of the bad ones came from.

Trans could have been Mitsubishi or Mazda (Toyo-Koyo). It was kind of a mixed bag on manuals until they settled on Mazda. I have a M5ODR2 in mine out of a ‘150, I love it.
My ole 92 ranger had mazda trans. It survived 6 years of me banging the gears and chirping the tires a good 70% of the time. I was very abusive and it never even needed a clutch.
Sponsored