Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a question regarding the Manual Sasquatch package: what’s the reason for the late availability?? Is the transmission the weak link???
If so, there will be two manual transmissions: one for non Sasquatch and one Sasquatch?
Clearly not the case with the 10 speed auto.
Thoughts?

The issue is completely with Ford number crunchers. They did not think off road Bronco enthusiasts would want a manual. They expected less than a 5% take rate and probably didn't even contract for that many in the initial delivery. Basically, they don't have enough manual transmissions to build what is about to be ordered, so they've delayed the mansquatch hoping that decreases the initial orders for the MT. Either way, they don't have enough to meet projected requirements and at some point all MT orders will be delayed.
Sponsored

AHop

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 F250 Highboy, '96 Miata M-Edition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The issue is completely with Ford number crunchers. They did not think off road Bronco enthusiasts would want a manual. They expected less than a 5% take rate and probably didn't even contract for that many in the initial delivery. Basically, they don't have enough manual transmissions to build what is about to be ordered, so they've delayed the mansquatch hoping that decreases the initial orders for the MT. Either way, they don't have enough to meet projected requirements and at some point all MT orders will be delayed.
Your answer is partially true. Delaying the mansquatch availability has nothing to do with transmission availability, though that is likely a nice side effect. When producing a vehicle, the emissions testing and approvals must be obtained on each specific powertrain/drivetrain configuration, including each specific tire size. Due to the thought that the manual take rate would be lower, they did not anticipate the need to certify the manual with the sasquatch. This is a government certification, not a Ford certification. The government moves slow and would likely not allow for early availability. If it were just slapping on new wheels and tires it would not be delayed like it currently is, the delivery time for mansquatches (and manuals in general) would just be longer than others.

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Whatever my next vehicle is, I want it American made as much as possible, that's one of my reasons for getting a new vehicle. I wont buy any new vehicle _______________. If it turns out the Bronco auto trans is also foriegn made, I won't be getting a Bronco.
Corrected.

Good luck finding *any* vehicle without significant foreign part content -- and it's been that way for at least the last three decades. Welcome to the global economy.

Despite all the flag-waving, the mere use of "foreign" parts hasn't had any significant impact on quality or reliability -- if anything, overall vehicle quality is considerably better than it was decades ago.

And to be clear, the use of foreign parts is not the manufacturers "fault," it's driven by *us.*

99.9% of buyers want a lot of vehicle, but aren't willing to pay for it. Since manufacturers can't make money on product that won't sell (because the cost of a 100% U.S. sourced vehicle or 100% uber-reliable vehicle would significantly exceed the competition's pricing), the manufacturers must seek out the lowest cost parts that will meet the quality requirements (which in turn are driven by *our* expectations). This also does not automatically mean low quality results -- some foreign parts are better quality that what can be had in the U.S. for the same dollar. Particularly with Chinese-sourced parts, it's all about the effort put in to hold the source's feet to the fire on quality. The Chinese are perfectly capable of producing high quality goods if they want to (i.e., if they'll lose their business if they don't comply with the buyer's demands/inspection results).

It is obsolete thinking that just being a "foreign" brand automatically means lower quality. In many cases just the opposite -- I'd rather have NGK (Japanese) or Bosch (German) spark plugs than Champions (all of which could be Chinese, Mexican, Brazilian, Croatian, etc. sourced).

Would I prefer an all U.S.-sourced vehicle in a hypothetically ideal world where costs and quality are all the same? Of course, since it would provide employment and keep the economic benefits here. But it's not an ideal world, and *we* won't pay for one.

FWIW, I'm as red-blooded American as anyone (including Navy service, where you can see 1st hand why the U.S. is the best in so many ways). I'm also a realist.

Last edited:

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My ole 92 ranger had mazda trans. It survived 6 years of me banging the gears and chirping the tires a good 70% of the time. I was very abusive and it never even needed a clutch.
Likewise. My first new vehicle was a 93 Ranger. Basically the entire truck was. Mazda. That MT was awesome though. Put 200k mikes on that thing and only needed to ever replace the radiator and a bunch of the fog lights.

brentutk

Wildtrak
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Corrected.

Good luck finding *any* vehicle without significant foreign part content -- and it's been that way for at least the last three decades. Welcome to the global economy.

Despite all the flag-waving, the mere use of "foreign" parts hasn't had any significant impact on quality or reliability -- if anything, overall vehicle quality is considerably better than it was decades ago.

And to be clear, the use of foreign parts is not the manufacturers "fault," it's driven by *us.*

99.9% of buyers want a lot of vehicle, but aren't willing to pay for it. Since manufacturers can't make money on product that won't sell (because the cost of a 100% U.S. sourced vehicle or 100% Uber-reliable vehicle would significantly exceed the competition's pricing), the manufacturers must seek out the lowest cost parts that will meet the quality requirements (which in turn are driven by *our* expectations). This also does not automatically mean low quality results -- some foreign parts are better quality that what can be had in the U.S. for the same dollar. Particularly with Chinese-sourced parts, it's all about the effort put in to hold the source's feet to the fire on quality. The Chinese are perfectly capable of producing high quality goods if they want to (i.e., if they'll lose their business if they don't comply with the buyer's demands/inspection results).

It is obsolete thinking that just being a "foreign" brand automatically means lower quality. In many cases just the opposite -- I'd rather have NGK (Japanese) or Bosch (German) spark plugs than Champions (all of which could be Chinese, Mexican, Brazilian, Croatian, etc. sourced).

Would I prefer an all U.S.-sourced vehicle in a hypothetically ideal world where costs and quality are all the same? Of course, since it would provide employment and keep the economic benefits here. But it's not an ideal world, and *we* won't pay for one.

FWIW, I'm as red-blooded American as anyone (including Navy service, where you can see 1st hand why the U.S. is the best in so many ways). I'm also a realist.
Well said. Better than my similar attempt yesterday. As someone who works in global supply chains for a large American company, this hits the nail on the head. My company wouldn't be able to be the success that it is, enabling us to create 10 thousand American jobs, if we didn't create thousands of jobs in the Philippines in order to optimize cost structures.

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Likewise. My first new vehicle was a 93 Ranger. Basically the entire truck was. Mazda. That MT was awesome though. Put 200k mikes on that thing and only needed to ever replace the radiator and a bunch of the fog lights.
The only Mazda part of that truck was the transmission.

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only Mazda part of that truck was the transmission.
Gotcha. My college roommate at the time had a Mazda and they had such similar features and looks. But I loved that truck. It was a good one.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not a fan of it being made in China, we need good paying manufacturing jobs here. I wanted the manual, wife wanted the automatic. We compromised and are getting the automatic. She does not need to know that it's required with the 2.7 and Squatch anyway...:rolleyes: ... I wanted red, she wanted blue, we compromised and are getting blue (AMB)
I agree that it would be awesome to have Americans put to work manufacturing these, but then we hammer Ford on pricing. They are damned if they do, damned if they don't. Vicious circle.

PaulW

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 EB, 06 Wrangler LJ, 18F150HD, 17 Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Read all about the class action suit for manual transmissions on Mustangs. The defective trans is a lot worse that many believe.
Sure if the buyer (Ford) wants bullet proof trans then the cost goes up even from Getrag. Ford chose to buy the cheap version.
Having said it I think a Manual for a Bronco is a bad decision for the Bronco buyer especially if you want to do difficult obstacles. When was the last time you saw a stick on competitive rock crawling rig. And yes the automatic is not match the Jeep design either. No 4:1 transfer case from Ford.

Skeeterjack

Outer Banks
First Name
RON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018MUSTANG GT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Buy for less sell for more. That’s how Ford makes a profit. It’s also the reason for so many Ford recalls.

Sponsored

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hello,

I’m new to the forum and thought you guys and gals might like to hear about my correspondence with Getrag, reference the Broncos 7 speed manual.

I saw a lot of speculation as to where the transmission would be built, so I emailed Getrag to ask directly where the trans will be built (honestly not expecting a reply). To my suprise, I got a response and they confirmed the transmission “is made in China (Nanchang) from our Joint Venture (GJT).”

To the folks who were planning on going 7 speed, like I am (or maybe was), how’s this news sit with you? I know it’s a new architecture from the mt82, an all new mt88, but still don’t know much about it. Anyone concerned about build quality / quality control with a Chinese built transmission?
i avoid Chines made anything, mostly tools (and I really pay for it) but most of things we have in life unfortunately are made in China. The Bronco will be built in the USA and that’s just fine with me. I’m sure as hell not going to get an auto because of it tho. Driving is just to dam boring to me with and auto

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yup. Heinz 57 HO with an 04 R2.

Gotcha. My college roommate at the time had a Mazda and they had such similar features and looks. But I loved that truck. It was a good one.
In the mid 90’s they stuck a different grille on the Ranger and called it a Mazda.

Clint

Base
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Base
If I end up going with the manual, I will be buying an extended warranty for the Bronco to negate the personal worries I have about the Chinese made MT88. The majority of the Bronco is made in the USA, so that satisfies my patriotic side.
Sponsored