toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Read all about the class action suit for manual transmissions on Mustangs. The defective trans is a lot worse that many believe.
Sure if the buyer (Ford) wants bullet proof trans then the cost goes up even from Getrag. Ford chose to buy the cheap version.
Having said it I think a Manual for a Bronco is a bad decision for the Bronco buyer especially if you want to do difficult obstacles. When was the last time you saw a stick on competitive rock crawling rig. And yes the automatic is not match the Jeep design either. No 4:1 transfer case from Ford.
I’d venture to guess less than 1% are competitively rock crawling their Bronco. If Ford hasn’t learned their lesson with the MT-82 then I think it’s the last time I will buy Ford. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, F off and tank your reputation.

CEO Farley has said they plan to hold suppliers accountable for recall issues to the tune of 50% up front on all repairs to cut costs at Ford so hopefully Getrag is minding its P’s and Q’s in China. However, not sure if he plans to do this for current production or sometime in the near future.
Sponsored

Jtorral

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is really bad news for me. My entire family and close friends refuse to buy anything made in China unless there is no other choice. This just killed the 7 spd for me. Auto with v6 unless I find out that is made in China as well. Then I'm out 100% if the auto is Chinese s well.

Sorry Ford. Where is the heritage on a Chinese made transmission?

Jtorral

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lots of China bashing being typed on Chinese made phone components in this thread. Sorry guys but everything from the LCD screens to the manual transmissions to the Warn winches are made in China. Even some Goodyear tires.
Actually the Warn is made just a few miles away from me in Oregon.

brentutk

Wildtrak
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Actually the Warn is made just a few miles away from me in Oregon.
Yea I see that this particular Warn on the Bronco is made in Oregon. Some of the Warn series are made in China though.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Read all about the class action suit for manual transmissions on Mustangs. The defective trans is a lot worse that many believe.
Sure if the buyer (Ford) wants bullet proof trans then the cost goes up even from Getrag. Ford chose to buy the cheap version.
Having said it I think a Manual for a Bronco is a bad decision for the Bronco buyer especially if you want to do difficult obstacles. When was the last time you saw a stick on competitive rock crawling rig. And yes the automatic is not match the Jeep design either. No 4:1 transfer case from Ford.
How many of these things are going to be in rock crawling competitions?

I enjoy my manual and it isn’t near as good as the setup going into a bronco.

Sponsored

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2019 Mustang GT with an MT82. I'm not going to be one of those "but mine is great" kind of people.

Instead, I want to post what I believe are the two primary issues, and why I'm good with having a later MT-82: (i) early units had parts that were not good enough; (ii) Ford's moving the shifter to the body to minimize NVH.

For (i), Ford/Getrag have upgraded the MT82 internals over time. For this reason, and because some tranny builders say the later MT82s are actually pretty stout, I'm expecting my 2019's tranny will likely do well over time.

For (ii), one of the first things I did with the Mustang was move the shifter from the body back to the tranny with an MGW shifter. I believe most of the problems with the MT82 not shifting (locking out) under hard throttle is the body-to-tranny linkage binding up as the engine twists in its mounts. With my shifter on the tranny, zero lockout issues. I also believe the drag on the linkage when the engine torque-reacts likely exacerbated the early weak shift fork and synchro issues by holding pressure on the forks longer.

All-in-all, I have no problem with the class action, as some of the MT82s were definitely not up to snuff. But at least the later Mustang MT-82s are not the junk that internet lore makes them out to be.

Last edited:

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2019 Mustang GT with an MT82. I'm not going to be one of those "but mine is great" kind of people.

Instead, I want to post what I believe are the two primary issues, and why I'm good with having a later MT-82: (i) early units had parts that were not good enough; (ii) Ford's moving the shift to the body to minimize NVH.

For (i), Ford/Getrag have upgraded the MT82 internals over time. For this reason, and because some tranny builders say the later MT82s are actually pretty stout, I'm expecting my 2019's tranny will likely do well over time.

For (ii), one of the first things I did with the Mustang was move the shifter from the body back to the tranny with an MGW shifter. I believe most of the problems with the MT82 not shifting (locking out) under hard throttle is the body-to-tranny linkage binding up as the engine twists in its mounts. With my shifter on the tranny, zero lockout issues. I also believe the drag on the linkage when the engine torque-reacts likely exacerbated the early weak shift fork and synchro issues by holding pressure on the forks longer.

All-in-all, I have no problem with the class action, as some of the MT82s were definitely not up to snuff. But at least the later Mustang MT-82s are not the junk that internet lore makes them out to be.
I had a 2014 track pack gt. The mt82 was grindy and a little numb. Changed out a lot of bushings and it made a huge difference. I autocrossed and tracked mine with no major issues

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When I see people offroading in a automatic, I look at it as cheating. Kinda like taking Bigfoot or Grave Digger to a rock garden or river crossing. Of course its gonna be easy. I mean why do people still ride horses out on the range or wherever when dirtbikes and enduros exist. Some guy in the 60s said something about doing things not because they are easy but because they are hard. Anyone remember who that was?

Offroading to me isnt just a exercise in how easily I can get from A to B. Its a test of my personal skill, and ability to overcome the disadvantage that I wasnt born a mountain goat/jaguar hybrid.

Also I am choosing a manual transmission for day to day driving aswell. For anyone who is a true stick shift driver an automatic is the equivilent of driving a convertible but not being allowed to put the top down. Its constraining and compromising.

As for fearing breaking things with a manual? Skill, skill, skill. I have broken several automatics so much as ripping the tailshaft off of a C6 with a 2 barrel smogged 351W. The only manual I have ever hurt in anyway was because I used to park my CJ with the T150 in 3 foot deep river water and fish.

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I see people offroading in a automatic, I look at it as cheating. Kinda like taking Bigfoot or Grave Digger to a rock garden or river crossing. Of course its gonna be easy. I mean why do people still ride horses out on the range or wherever when dirtbikes and enduros exist. Some guy in the 60s said something about doing things not because they are easy but because they are hard. Anyone remember who that was?

Offroading to me isnt just a exercise in how easily I can get from A to B. Its a test of my personal skill, and ability to overcome the disadvantage that I wasnt born a mountain goat/jaguar hybrid.

Also I am choosing a manual transmission for day to day driving aswell. For anyone who is a true stick shift driver an automatic is the equivilent of driving a convertible but not being allowed to put the top down. Its constraining and compromising.

As for fearing breaking things with a manual? Skill, skill, skill. I have broken several automatics so much as ripping the tailshaft off of a C6 with a 2 barrel smogged 351W. The only manual I have ever hurt in anyway was because I used to park my CJ with the T150 in 3 foot deep river water and fish.
I like and respect your point of view. However, JFK was not a rock-crawler, and like me would probably have liked to have clutch management taken out of the equation when first starting noob off-roading 101. ;)

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like and respect your point of view. However, JFK was not a rock-crawler, and like me would probably have liked to have clutch management taken out of the equation when first starting noob off-roading 101. ;)
Ohh noobs should definitely drive a manual. Its the only way. Even more so if they are also just learning to drive. When I teach kids to drive, I always throw em in a old jeep with a manual. I use low range crutch to teach them the clutch. Then just tell em to leave it in first and go over a bunch of mild obstacles at idle with the simple instruction of not letting it stall. The last one I taught like that in 4 or 5 30 min sessions doing laps around a jungle dirtbike track. After that he was able to drive the farmstand out (30 ft step van with a granny gear np435). When his mom finally let him drive her honda pilot he was a pro. Easy breezy. I always feel that children should be taught things the hard way, so when they have to do it on their own its a breeze. I learned to drive in a extended E150 van with no back door windows. Had to develop my mirror skills. Then when I took my test in our little 91 Bonneville I was able to chirp the tires in reverse weaving through the cones. In all honesty I only did that to show off the 20 something blonde highway patrol woman who was testing me. She smiled and told me not to do that again.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ohh noobs should definitely drive a manual. Its the only way. Even more so if they are also just learning to drive. When I teach kids to drive, I always throw em in a old jeep with a manual. I use low range crutch to teach them the clutch. Then just tell em to leave it in first and go over a bunch of mild obstacles at idle with the simple instruction of not letting it stall. The last one I taught like that in 4 or 5 30 min sessions doing laps around a jungle dirtbike track. After that he was able to drive the farmstand out (30 ft step van with a granny gear np435). When his mom finally let him drive her honda pilot he was a pro. Easy breezy. I always feel that children should be taught things the hard way, so when they have to do it on their own its a breeze. I learned to drive in a extended E150 van with no back door windows. Had to develop my mirror skills. Then when I took my test in our little 91 Bonneville I was able to chirp the tires in reverse weaving through the cones. In all honesty I only did that to show off the 20 something blonde highway patrol woman who was testing me. She smiled and told me not to do that again.
my wife learned to drive manual in an old CJ and her uncle told her manual transmission makes it a “vehicle”, auto transmission is Just transportation. interesting perspective. I like purpose built “vehicles“ with a 3rd pedal.

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Been driving car/truck/motorcycle manual trannies since 16 -- currently 62 -- and spent several years as an instructor teaching others how to drive manuals. I don't need to learn how to use a manual. I will someday use a manual during a rock crawl, but in the meantime I prefer to learn off-roading without the clutch/throttle coordination distraction. One of those old teaching tenets: one new thing at a time, then use it as a basis for the next one-at a time new thing.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
First car was a 3 on the floor, driven 3 on the trees, 12 speed split rear trucks. Taught my daughter on my F 250 stick. She can now drive anything. Love stick shifts. I have a wife that can drive them but does not have the same affection for them that I do... ? ...

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There was a story in our family ,dad was a new lt , commanding officer told him take this jeep and go to wherever and get this or that . Well he didnt know how to drive stick bucking like a donkey he took off ,by the time he got back he was an expert lol.
I myself have had some issues teaching my gf to drive manual either i suck as a teacher,shes untrainable,or she does not embrace the manual thing ?
Sponsored