Sponsored

Getrag 7 Speed MTI550 in other vehicles?

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've used the trusty search feature on the forums and also tried to do some Google digging, but maybe some insiders here might know more.

Do we have any idea if Getrag will be using the MTI550 (MT-88) in other vehicle applications outside the Bronco? Seems like a pretty robust transmission that allows for 6 gears or optional 7th. Also hybrid ready so might have a possible future in the hybrid Bronco?

Curious about this because I would like to get an idea of how it drives, but seems the Bronco will be the test mule.

Ford Bronco Getrag 7 Speed MTI550 in other vehicles? 1611690089815
Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's new, but will be used in global trucks allegedly.

OP
OP
toughtoaster

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's new, but will be used in global trucks allegedly.
Looks like for LCV it can handle just under 500 ft/lbs of torque. Curious what version they are using for the Bronco (I would think pickup/LCV). Also curious what "best in-class shiftability" means

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like for LCV it can handle just under 500 ft/lbs of torque. Curious what version they are using for the Bronco (I would think pickup/LCV). Also curious what "best in-class shiftability" means
I'm assuming the lowest ratings just to keep expectations in check.

"best in-class shiftability" - means they have a marketing department, lol

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A hybrid Bronco or Ranger with this 7 speed would be badass! Even this in the next gen Ranger or a Bronco p/u with ICE only would be amazeballs

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
hahaha keep believing that. Theyre phasing out manual Ts. This is THE last of the mohicans for american vehicles.
Except, you know, the real Mustang.

It's been announced the Mach-1 will be borrowing the GT350 transmission.
https://fordauthority.com/2020/06/w...3160-manual-transmission-for-the-2021-mach-1/

that being said, with the crawl gear in Bronco, it's not going to be quite so easy to find a comparable US model that will be sharing the manual transmission with Bronco.

So there's a lot unknown there.

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You know what I mean. Look at trucks. Toyota might be only manual T truck you can buy? American big 3 phased then out. They’re phasing them out of cars. Corvette? Phased out. Camaro you can still but give it 2-3 more yrs? Gone.
Like I said before in other thread, the big 3 are in the repair business nor the sales business. They make boat loads more on repairs than they do on vehicles. The vehicle is just a product. The services are where the moneys at I.e. service center. You think they care about Warranty work or how many repairs they have in vehicles?
Corvette? You literally have to suck the tranny fluid out from the top. No drain plug on the tranny. Service baby. Service....

now Bronco manual T? I think it’ll be pretty good. But give it4 yrs and no Bronco manual. Quote me on that.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You know what I mean. Look at trucks. Toyota might be only manual T truck you can buy? American big 3 phased then out. They’re phasing them out of cars. Corvette? Phased out. Camaro you can still but give it 2-3 more yrs? Gone.
Like I said before in other thread, the big 3 are in the repair business nor the sales business. They make boat loads more on repairs than they do on vehicles. The vehicle is just a product. The services are where the moneys at I.e. service center. You think they care about Warranty work or how many repairs they have in vehicles?
Corvette? You literally have to suck the tranny fluid out from the top. No drain plug on the tranny. Service baby. Service....

now Bronco manual T? I think it’ll be pretty good. But give it4 yrs and no Bronco manual. Quote me on that.
Screenshot_20210228-060902_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
toughtoaster

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
hahaha keep believing that. Theyre phasing out manual Ts. This is THE last of the mohicans for american vehicles.
The key part to the quote that you quoted was global trucks. Getrag is a German company and I bet you they will be putting this transmission in a lot of Indian/African trucks and possibly lorries across the pond.

As for American? You are spot on. This will probably be one of the last. We as a people are too lazy to work a third pedal and the name of the game for us is convenience.

Sponsored

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The one thing I'm all the sudden curious about, will MT Bronco be able to be push started if it has a dead battery, and how will that work given the pushbutton start? Dump the clutch and push the button at the same time?🤔

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The one thing I'm all the sudden curious about, will MT Bronco be able to be push started if it has a dead battery, and how will that work given the pushbutton start? Dump the clutch and push the button at the same time?🤔
Same as it would in a car with a keyed ignition. Turn the key / push the button so the car is in “Run/ACC”. Push the car with the clutch in and once you have momentum pop the clutch and let the driveline do the cranking.

To do a bump start you didn’t have to have the key turned to “Start”.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
The manual is slowly being faded out for sure. It is so great that Ford is even offering it with the Bronco. And a 7 speed manual with a crawl gear at that. I normally love manuals and most of my vehicles have been manuals in my lifetime. I just got a nice manual with a V8- which is my last one- a C6 Corvette project car. After quite a debate I am getting automatic with the Bronco- mainly that I wanted the 6 cylinder and so my GF can drive it and love it as much as I will. I am very curious as to how the 7 speed manual will shift though. I see from the stats on this form that quite a percentage more of us are going with the automatic.

i wonder if Ford will offer this manual in the new Maverick pick up that's coming out?

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same as it would in a car with a keyed ignition. Turn the key / push the button so the car is in “Run/ACC”. Push the car with the clutch in and once you have momentum pop the clutch and let the driveline do the cranking.

To do a bump start you didn’t have to have the key turned to “Start”.
I've bump started my fair share. I've just never seen a pushbutton manual, or owned a pushbutton start.
Press button to turn on (as you described), press and hold to crank(same as turning key to full forward), I assume?
Sponsored