Sponsored

Getrag 7 Speed MTI550 in other vehicles?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
With all due respect to the thread's topic, it's gotten to the point you guys should bicker via PM.

FWIW, they won't get rid of MT's, they serve too important of a roll in global manufacturing due to decreased cost, complexity and repair for certain markets.

On topic: If there was another vehicle with the 7MT going in Bronco, i'd love to go test it out to get a feel for it. MT is a deal-breaker for my next automotive purchase as roadways are simply too dull and automatic transmissions suck the automotive soul from your heart. Frankly I wouldn't care if it made off roading drastically more difficult simply because it would be more challenging and fun to be there with a MT than an AT.
Sponsored

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I find this highly disconcerting. First i'm going to have to go get some rust on my 60 and 70 year old cars just so I can have a chance of rusting them out. (albeit, they don't have 100K miles combined).

Chevy's straight 6 was in production from 1929 through..... today. The "Mileage Maker" 235's were bullet proof and regularly saw 200K miles before needing rebuilds. These were carbureted motors that did not even have oil filters (I just removed the oil filter on my 235 equipped Fleetline to extend it's expected lifespan).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_straight-6_engine#235

I think what most people are confused about is that after PCV's were made mandatory by the mid 1960's, engine and vehicle lifespans started dropping significantly. Please don't confuse that we the pre-60's engines which were highly reliable, considering the engine development and manufacturing of the day.

Related to Bronco, that Pinto motor does good work these days, have you driven a 2019+ Ranger?
Exactly. People want to spew reliability but know nothing about reliability. Find me a car made within last 10yrs (American) that got 300k on the odometer without a major repair or replacement. Iā€™ll wait, in the 80s there was a reason Chevrolet acquired longest lasting trucks on the road. Because the 350 was an animal. You could literally drive em around with broken rods. Not very effective or good for the engine of course. But they still ran. And some got 400k mi. In fact a Chevy suburban 6.2l diesel got 800k. Not all but one in particular did.

hereā€™s the problem with todayā€™s vehicles. The engines? Very much reliable. Probably more reliable. Transmissions? Nope. And then you have the major breaking point of a vehicle. The electronics. Whether itā€™s a computer, a module or something that stops the vehicle from running and costs at min $1k to fix. Let me see a vehicle8-10yrs old where you need to take the dash out to get to that broken part to continue to run cost less than $1k. And the part only costs $20 LOL

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With all due respect to the thread's topic, it's gotten to the point you guys should bicker via PM.

FWIW, they won't get rid of MT's, they serve too important of a roll in global manufacturing due to decreased cost, complexity and repair for certain markets.

On topic: If there was another vehicle with the 7MT going in Bronco, i'd love to go test it out to get a feel for it. MT is a deal-breaker for my next automotive purchase as roadways are simply too dull and automatic transmissions suck the automotive soul from your heart. Frankly I wouldn't care if it made off roading drastically more difficult simply because it would be more challenging and fun to be there with a MT than an AT.
For the record I was never talking about removing the manual globally. Just the big 3.
I agree 100% with you on they should have MTs in everything. Far more efficient and reliable than a slush box. No matter the convenience. They should offer it in trucks to this day

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The manual with the corvetteā€™s setup would have been incredibly difficult to accomplish and the take rate wasnā€™t even that high. Makes sense that they didnā€™t keep it.
But look at the other end of the market, new BRZ has manual, new civic SI will likely have one, Ford investing in the Mach 1 and giving it a Getrag, and Iā€™m sure the Camaro take rate is high as well being that itā€™s often referred to as one of the best drivers cars.
And if we go to the polar opposite you have Porsche offering it in the new 911 GT3 as well as the new Cayman and Boxster. And BMW is also giving the new M3 & MThe new STI will also likely have a manual. Itā€™s not dead yet and thereā€™s clearly a market still.

Personally I like my manual transmissions to feel like sloppy garbage with weird clutch grab points and barely able to discern 3rd from 5th. Might be hard to get used to a decent box.
Hoo boy wait till you get your hand on something good,the 6 speed tko in the cobra shifts like butter i beat that thing mercilessly and it says thank you can i have another.

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hoo boy wait till you get your hand on something good,the 6 speed tko in the cobra shifts like butter i beat that thing mercilessly and it says thank you can i have another.
Was being a bit tongue in cheek haha. Iā€™ve driven current gen Taco, C5 Vette, JL Wrangler, NA Miata, Focus RS and VA WRX so far and have a Fiesta ST as a daily. Taco was super sloppy and I personally wouldnā€™t even order one in manual. Corvette was extremely connected unlike my cable linked Fiesta and clutch was much heavier as well. WRX was alright but had a really weird bite point and badly needed better bushings. Fiesta, Focus and Miata were effortless and fantastic in all scenarios. No guessing and super easy in traffic. I have a feeling the Bronco will be close to the Wranglerā€™s in feel which I thought was quite alright. No super long throws and very linear clutch. Hopefully it doesnā€™t suffer from reliability issues like the Wranglerā€™s does though lol.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Was being a bit tongue in cheek haha. Iā€™ve driven current gen Taco, C5 Vette, JL Wrangler, NA Miata, Focus RS and VA WRX so far and have a Fiesta ST as a daily. Taco was super sloppy and I personally wouldnā€™t even order one in manual. Corvette was extremely connected unlike my cable linked Fiesta and clutch was much heavier as well. WRX was alright but had a really weird bite point and badly needed better bushings. Fiesta, Focus and Miata were effortless and fantastic in all scenarios. No guessing and super easy in traffic. I have a feeling the Bronco will be close to the Wranglerā€™s in feel which I thought was quite alright. No super long throws and very linear clutch. Hopefully it doesnā€™t suffer from reliability issues like the Wranglerā€™s does though lol.
Im in for the manual 2.3 fingers crossed
Sponsored