Sponsored

Getrag Transmission: English or British?

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My post go lost in Chinese thread. So, I thought we could discuss the British nature of our future transmission.

Did a little digging. MAGNA bought Getrag in 2018. Ford and Getrag have a previous joint venture with 4 production facilities.

The plant in Liverpool, England has a capacity of 481k units a year. It currently produces the 6MTI500 and the 6MTT331.

The Bronco transmission is called the 6MTI550. That leads me to believe that it would most likely be built in England as it’s the successor to the 6MTI500.

Let the comments on British quality commence.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toccoa

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco Getrag Transmission: English or British? 1600205059213

6MTI550 – Manual Inline Transmission
THE NEW SCALABLE INLINE TRANSMISSION FAMILY

Highly modular and scalable lightweight inline manual transmission with best-in-class torque density and excellent shift quality.

Benefits:
  • Modular system for middle and high torque applications, based on output constant mesh concept
  • Low gear (“crawler”) 7th speed optional
  • High torque capacity at low weight
  • Ready for start-stop system and rev-matching (gear detection)
  • Flexible range of gear ratios and ratio spread
  • All-wheel drive application in scope
Tech Specs

BroncOcotillo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My post go lost in Chinese thread. So, I thought we could discuss the British nature of our future transmission.

Did a little digging. MAGNA bought Getrag in 2018. Ford and Getrag have a previous joint venture with 4 production facilities.

The plant in Liverpool, England has a capacity of 481k units a year. It currently produces the 6MTI500 and the 6MTT331.

The Bronco transmission is called the 6MTI550. That leads me to believe that it would most likely be built in England as it’s the successor to the 6MTI500.

Let the comments on British quality commence.
From Car and Driver:
“The Bronco's seven-speed manual is a Getrag unit, part of the company's new family of six- and seven-speed longitudinal manuals that it calls MTI550.”
“Ford calls this new seven-speed transmission MT88.”

From Wall Street Journal:
“Based in Untergruppenbach, Germany, Getrag was founded in 1935 by Hermann Hagenmeyer. It has about 13,500 employees and operates 13 manufacturing and 10 engineering centers in nine countries in Europe, Asia and North America. Four of those manufacturing locations operate in China alone.”

From Jalopnik:
“Profiles for employees at the Getrag Jiangxi facility in Nanchang, China show that they are working on a project that is coded MT-88, which is not surprising as they contributed to the development of the MT-82 that is currently in the Mustang. The MT-82 is built at that Nanchang facility in China so it is likely that this new MT-88 could be built there as well.”

Id prefer it were British-built to Chinese-built but that doesn’t sound like it’s happening.

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
From Car and Driver:
“The Bronco's seven-speed manual is a Getrag unit, part of the company's new family of six- and seven-speed longitudinal manuals that it calls MTI550.”
“Ford calls this new seven-speed transmission MT88.”

From Wall Street Journal:
“Based in Untergruppenbach, Germany, Getrag was founded in 1935 by Hermann Hagenmeyer. It has about 13,500 employees and operates 13 manufacturing and 10 engineering centers in nine countries in Europe, Asia and North America. Four of those manufacturing locations operate in China alone.”

From Jalopnik:
“Profiles for employees at the Getrag Jiangxi facility in Nanchang, China show that they are working on a project that is coded MT-88, which is not surprising as they contributed to the development of the MT-82 that is currently in the Mustang. The MT-82 is built at that Nanchang facility in China so it is likely that this new MT-88 could be built there as well.”

Id prefer it were British-built to Chinese-built but that doesn’t sound like it’s happening.
I like wasting time on Jalopnik, don’t get me wrong, but I’d kind of like to see confirmation of news like that on another site, u know what I mean?

Ford Bronco Getrag Transmission: English or British? BD790FE7-C556-4A7F-B1C5-3E49295BACBF

BroncOcotillo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I like wasting time on Jalopnik, don’t get me wrong, but I’d kind of like to see confirmation of news like that on another site, u know what I mean?
Yes. Just listing some of the current public information that’s out there. There is nothing printed about the MT88 being British made that I saw.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

[...]
Oh man. I don’t know.
I’ve ridden British motorcycles, and driven British cars... and I’m sure as hell glad my iPhone was made in China.

Could you even imagine a British built Lucas electrics iPhone? It’d constantly be leaking oil.

;)

BroncOcotillo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Oh man. I don’t know.
I’ve ridden British motorcycles, and driven British cars... and I’m sure as hell glad my iPhone was made in China.

Could you even imagine a British built Lucas electrics iPhone? It’d constantly be leaking oil.

;)
Well, I’d have preferred they gave the job to American workers.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Oh man. I don’t know.

;)
Good example of what China is and is not good at:

Look at Chinese fighter aircraft. China isn't able to design a good plane or jet engine themselves so they buy them from other countries, but man you can bet they're slapping high quality Chinese tech on it though

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What China is good at....
- delivering an nearly endless supply of unskilled labor that will work for literally next to nothing.
-Cutting corners at every possible oppurtunity, no matter the cost, the cost being product quality.

The companies that get quality results from Chinese labor have invested HEAVILY in testing and on-site management.
As an example, IBM had to install a quality control and product testing testing team in their suppliers Chinese factory to perform MANY random QC audits at every point of the process across all of the shifts. The moment IBM lets up, QC goes to shit.
So, after having that team installed, things were OK for a bit until the product began failing again. This time the cause was not in the production directly, but in the maintenance of the facility. The supplier started using cheaper air filters in the clean room systems and the microchips became contaminated.
Even with iron clad QC expectations in their contracts, the Chinese business culture is driven by cost cutting and trying to get away with every thing they possibly can.
It's not an issue of finding a better supplier/vendor, they are all pretty much the same, as I stated, it truly is a different business culture over there.

Source: paraphrased conversation with father-in-law who retired a few years back from IBM as a QC engineer.
I've read the about same phenomina in several business related articles over the years also.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford Bronco Getrag Transmission: English or British? BD790FE7-C556-4A7F-B1C5-3E49295BACBF

Highly modular and scalable lightweight inline manual transmission with best-in-class torque density and excellent shift quality.

Benefits:
  • Modular system for middle and high torque applications, based on output constant mesh concept
Tech Specs
Don't forget "design protected for hybrid version". I really hope that means what I hope that means.

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Damm. I don’t mind the wait for the mansquatch. I kinda mind a manual transmission from China ??.

Wasn’t there some issue with other Ford cars using a Getrag transmission made in China in the last couple years?

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base

Benefits:
Tech Specs
So, has anyone talked to this Roland Nasdal guy at Getrag yet??
:cool:
Sponsored