Getrag Transmission: German or Chinese?

Potatomafia

Base
First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500
I was curious about this as well. Information is hard to find but it seems like the MT-88 will be engineered in Germany but manufactured at Getrag's Jiangxi facility in Nanchang, China. That said, it seems like Getrag learned from the MT-82 disaster. The MT-88 will not be based off of the MT-82 but will be a new design.

I hope they don't screw it up! I'm really looking forward to owning another 4wd manual (last one was a 2012 Wrangler).

Last edited:
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
I was curious about this as well. Information is hard to find but it seems like the MT-88 will be engineered in Germany but manufactured at Getrag's Jiangxi facility in Nanchang, China. That said, it seems like Getrag learned from the MT-82 disaster. The MT-88 will not be based off of the MT-82 but will be a new design.

I hope they don't screw it up! I'm really looking forward to owning another 4wd manual (last one was a 2012 Wrangler).
I have yet to see a Chinese-made Transmission in any car that has lasted more than 50k miles. Again, that’s just my experience. Not too thrilled about this information tbh.

Rogues Gambit

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Clubs

Who was it who once joked that the Made in China stickers were made in Taiwan or Korea, which is why they last longer than the products themselves?

Hopefully this is pure, authentic German.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
I have yet to see a Chinese-made Transmission in any car that has lasted more than 50k miles. Again, that’s just my experience. Not too thrilled about this information tbh.
What about all of the MT-82s that made it past 50k? What other Chinese-built transmissions have had issues?

Advertisement

Advertisement