Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
You are so incredibly wrong.

I have it on very good authority (yelled at many times in these forums) that the automatic is better for off-road and on-road. It has no weak points and will make driving Bronco more engaging and fun.

I also have it on very good authority (yelled at many times in these forums), that the manual transmission is dead and serves no point because cars are faster with dual clutch automatics and also better in traffic.

Therefore I must regurgitate that opinion to you now so you can be informed.

Full disclosure: I will be ordering a 2.3/MT Bronco and am so friken excited that the 2.3 is being offered as an engine choice, and pairing it with a proper 3-pedal transmission is a dream come true after dealing with the numb, dull, confused automatic in the Ranger (which will be used, unchanged, in Bronco). Even if the MT was offered on the 2.7, i'd take the 2.3 and cost savings to put elsewhere in the build. Really don't think a stock Bronco "needs" the HP/TQ put out by the 2.7 considering the weight and packaging constraints.
I keep going back and forth for three reasons.
In ever increasing prices:

The 7M has the crawler gear built in.

The Automatics are easier to control finely on rocks. And Arizona is almost nothing but rock trails. you gotta look to find mud.

The 2.7L is the equivalent of big block power.
I can't remember anyone with a BB engine, 2.73 TC and 3.73 gears bitching about it not muscling over everything.

Dunno which yet.

porjos

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is an incredibly complex topic where most of the forum is trying to simplify and answer. But you can't do that.

Not all Chinese products are terrible, and frankly "Chinese-made" is a large part of American infrastructure and consumer sectors whether we like it or not. Sure I'd prefer American made out of my patriotic care, and their quality control standards are not uniform like others.

People on both sides of the fence can go back and forth all they want, and both sides can reference this or that to support their opinion.

This is probably the least helpful conclusion, but we won't know until tens of thousands of people beta test this thing.

At the end of the day, if you care if this is a quality product, you need to wait until it hits the market. I just don't see any value in arguing the overall integrity of Chinese products. It's hit or miss (not unlike any other country, just to differing degrees).

PS, like my Bronco drawing in the sticker giveaway. It took me an entire 3 minutes in Microsoft Paint.

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You are so incredibly wrong.

I have it on very good authority (yelled at many times in these forums) that the automatic is better for off-road and on-road. It has no weak points and will make driving Bronco more engaging and fun.

I also have it on very good authority (yelled at many times in these forums), that the manual transmission is dead and serves no point because cars are faster with dual clutch automatics and also better in traffic.

Therefore I must regurgitate that opinion to you now so you can be informed.

Full disclosure: I will be ordering a 2.3/MT Bronco and am so friken excited that the 2.3 is being offered as an engine choice, and pairing it with a proper 3-pedal transmission is a dream come true after dealing with the numb, dull, confused automatic in the Ranger (which will be used, unchanged, in Bronco). Even if the MT was offered on the 2.7, i'd take the 2.3 and cost savings to put elsewhere in the build. Really don't think a stock Bronco "needs" the HP/TQ put out by the 2.7 considering the weight and packaging constraints.
Yeah, I’m super psyched to get the 2.3L and three pedals, too. I agree that it’s a terrific sounding combination that’s offered in a 5 person convertible top ess-yew-vee that also happens to look amazing ?

Do you think if I turn off the nannies and I’m willing to be a little rough with it that I could potentially duplicate the one pedal turning the autos get? ?

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After seeing what 1st gen mini owners went through I would trust a mt made in China before one made in the UK. Just sayin. So lets say its not made in China but not in North America, Japan, or Europe, where would give you the most confidence, and where the least?
former 1st gen mini cooper owner here:
are you referring to the crappy CVT in the non-S's?

the GETRAG 6 speed stick shift was a great transmission (no issues other than when the dealer contaminated the clutch with oil during a required TSB)

Sponsored

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a Royal Enfield motorcycle with a 4 speed right hand shift box on it. It was made in India, I went to rebuild the box about 9 years ago in addition to replacing the roller bearings in the crankcase. After doing research I had to be very careful about sourcing my replacement bearings. You can not just go out and buy them from a low bidder because Chinese counterfeit bearings are a thing. I had to pay more just to ensure chain of custody because fake crap flooding the market at the time.

Those same chinese bearings undercut North American producers and make it harder for them to stay in business, you can lower your price if you exploit your labor.

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My dad was a machinist for 27yrs. His tools were all either; Mitotoyo, Sunnen, Helios, and/or Starrett. I never saw a single tool he had that was made in China. They either had; USA, Germany, or Japan stamped on them. So I asked him why? His response was, “...precision.”

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can you provide an example? I'm naive to how warranties work in these situations, having never owned a new vehicle before
Example of what? A denied warranty claim or how the manufacturer will t try to deny the claim?
All the dealer has to do is say there is a “sign of abuse” which could be as basic as scratches on the trans indicating off-roading. More than likely the cheap components will show signs of wear due to quality outside of the customers control.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There was a pre-release Ranger event at Quest Field and that event was where the GF put money down on a Ranger..... After 5 years of lusting for a Tacoma.

If they have an event where we can see/feel/enter a Bronco in-state then i'm down for the drive and will bring a cooler of microbrews for the after-event (which we forum members will be organizing!) to do a beer-exchange and talk about what we saw. If forum members aren't the beer types, then no harm and no foul, those with beer proclivities will do the exchange and do a socially responsible meet-up so everybody can get together and say hi in person.

Hopefully at some point a few lucky folks will get to do an actual drive and report back with their findings on the MT!

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is an incredibly complex topic where most of the forum is trying to simplify and answer. But you can't do that.

Not all Chinese products are terrible, and frankly "Chinese-made" is a large part of American infrastructure and consumer sectors whether we like it or not. Sure I'd prefer American made out of my patriotic care, and their quality control standards are not uniform like others.

People on both sides of the fence can go back and forth all they want, and both sides can reference this or that to support their opinion.

This is probably the least helpful conclusion, but we won't know until tens of thousands of people beta test this thing.

At the end of the day, if you care if this is a quality product, you need to wait until it hits the market. I just don't see any value in arguing the overall integrity of Chinese products. It's hit or miss (not unlike any other country, just to differing degrees).

PS, like my Bronco drawing in the sticker giveaway. It took me an entire 3 minutes in Microsoft Paint.
Wholeheartedly agree. There is some complete dogshit Chinese products, and there are some Chinese products that are among the best. I’m probably going to get dog piled on for this, but look at harbor freight tools. They’re all made in China, some are junk, and some are incredible. I have one of their high-end socket sets and it is great. I also have one of their low end socket sets and it’s not worth it’s weight in scrap. China can design stuff to fight a price point and quality level but the oversight has to be there.

Personally, for me? I’m going to bet that Getrag is pretty damn meticulous about their QC and that the 7 speed will be built right. But I also don’t think the mustang transmission debacle is all it’s cracked up to be so YMMV.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Please correct where wrong, but I thought that Getrag manufactured the housings, gears and parts domestically (US/Mexico/Canada) and assembly was done in China?

China has made great strides with metal quality and casting efficiency over the past decade, but at the price of quality steel you're still buying American. A client works exclusively with construction grade steel and they buy from all over the world, sharing that Vietnam is actually producing steel which is equivalent quality to American steel for 20% less. This is a raw material though, not casting, forging and milling from it.

Our Ranger listed it as almost exclusively American content, except the Engine was assembled in Mexico from US made components. (can't find the pic we took of that label at delivery)
Well if they do that can they ship all those parts to my house and I can assemble them and box up my trans and ups it to map w/my vin on the box?
former 1st gen mini cooper owner here:
are you referring to the crappy CVT in the non-S's?

the GETRAG 6 speed stick shift was a great transmission (no issues other than when the dealer contaminated the clutch with oil during a required TSB)
5spd midlands. If you had one you would know. I was told the 6spd was a zf. The problem w/midlands was not so much bad design (although it most definitely was) the entire thing was proprietary. When it went bad (and they all did) your options were to buy a brand new midlands for more than the car was worth, find a wrecked 6spd car and cannibalize it, (a few did this), or junk it (most did this). I will admit I have a negative attitude towards European vehicles...but my opinion has been formed over time. Mini has reinforced that negative attitude exponentially!

WadeWolf76

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler JK Willy's, 67 Ford Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I am surprised they didn’t work with NV, Tremec, or any US transmission maker. not only higher quality products, but put some of our fellow Americans back to work.

This will be the edge the Wrangler will have on the Bronco I think.
If i recall the 6 speed in the wrangler JK has had a decent amount of issues. I know mine had to be fixed twice for recalls. Not sure about the current JL transmission.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
If i recall the 6 speed in the wrangler JK has had a decent amount of issues. I know mine had to be fixed twice for recalls. Not sure about the current JL transmission.
I ended up putting in the B&M shifter gate and lever to solve the jumping out of gear problem in my JK.

It started happening after only 4,000 miles.
Dealer give me the runaround, so $600 out of my own pocket fixed it perfectly.
Other people waited up to 6 months for Jeep to replace the entire transmission.

Another reason I'm preferring a Bronco over another Jeep.

cursed_hemi

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Charger Daytona / 03 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about this new manual trans. It's a new, unproven unit and it's likely going to be manufactured in China.
At the end of the day though, I wouldn't be buying a Bronco without a manual so I'll have to take my chances. The 10AT is just so pedestrian feeling, it takes all the fun out of driving.

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is a tricky topic, it really is. Getrag better have their act together on this one....otherwise, adios! Toyota, Nissan, and BMW utilized their gearboxes and had great success. When Getrag began making crap boxes 2003+, everyone started looking at ZF boxes. What happened? Outsourcing! It is no secret folks....it is what it is!
Sponsored