Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Four points on all of this;

1: The Getrag design is fantastic.

2: The Chinese still can't get mass produced concrete right after 2,000 years because of an ingrained cultural disbelief in unsupervised QC.
Because of this disbelief in QC through personal honor alone, they are still forced to buy all of their turbine engines from other nations.
They've acquired or stolen all of the technology, but they can't get the 10,000 parts to hold together for even a 1/4 of the time Russian engines do.
So the Chinese buy from the West for civilian turbines, and Russia for military ones.

Having the anyone with these kinds of attitudes make a transmission for export is just begging for trouble.

3: Ford got that trouble in the form of a class action lawsuit from Mustang owners.
Yet FoMoCo still went back to the Chinese vomit bowl for another helping.

4: Either Ford is getting these transmissions for 10 cents on the dollar, or the Middle Kingdom is flying in free hookers and blow every week to Ford executives.
Exactly! Again, if these items were; emblems, buttons, covers, etc... then I wouldn’t give two shakes of a rats tail where they were made. However, in DOCUMENTED and PROVEN cases, Ford has had costly lawsuits from Chinese-made crucial components (specifically a transmission)....why on earth would they shoot themselves in the foot that way twice??
Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
....why on earth would they shoot themselves in the foot that way twice??
Bean Counters only look at the Bottom Line for the Production Cost. They don't care about Warranty or Lawsuits. Most of the time the Bean Counters have control of choosing between multipart locations (when available) for where a component is produce, but Upper Management can over-rule these.

So..... it "appears" that Upper Management feels that the prior issues with China on this type of component at the particular manufacturer is better for the Bottom Line. Time will tell.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am surprised they didn’t work with NV, Tremec, or any US transmission maker. not only higher quality products, but put some of our fellow Americans back to work.

This will be the edge the Wrangler will have on the Bronco I think.
There apparently Are a lot of complaints about the current Wrangler and Gladiator MT, and it doesn’t have the torque ratings for the Diesel or the Hemi, nor for tow ratings.

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You guys do realize that China is leading the world in 5G technology, hasn’t used cash as a basis for payment for 5-8 years now, and are pushing hard to catch up on 5 nm chip production, right? They also lead the world in solar production. I’m no fan of China - they are a competitor, plain and simple. Fact is though, their labor costs are going through the roof and the stuff we’re used to buying from them is getting off-shored from China because they’re too expensive. Hence why they are investing heavily in technically difficult production like gearboxes where their labor costs are still competitive. It’s not 2000 or 2010 anymore, things don’t stay the same for long.

And yes, I AM nervous about my beloved new Bronco coming with a made in China manual transmission, emotions & biases are what they are. It does help to own up to them so they don’t hold too much power over us.

Party on, Garth!

Ford Bronco Getrag Transmission:  German or Chinese? 1600086674351

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You guys do realize that China is leading the world in 5G technology, hasn’t used cash as a basis for payment for 5-8 years now, and are pushing hard to catch up on 5 nm chip production, right? They also lead the world in solar production. I’m no fan of China - they are a competitor, plain and simple. Fact is though, their labor costs are going through the roof and the stuff we’re used to buying from them is getting off-shored from China because they’re too expensive. Hence why they are investing heavily in technically difficult production like gearboxes where their labor costs are still competitive. It’s not 2000 or 2010 anymore, things don’t stay the same for long.

And yes, I AM nervous about my beloved new Bronco coming with a made in China manual transmission, emotions & biases are what they are. It does help to own up to them so they don’t hold too much power over us.

Party on, Garth!
But 5G causes cancer and Covid19.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Party on, Garth!

Ford Bronco Getrag Transmission:  German or Chinese? 9599E279-0DBF-439A-8EDE-0F1CE7F84D2D
They also lead the world in the most collapsed buildings due to poor construction and material use. They also lead the world in the worst quality control standards. So yeah, i dont care if they make the worlds first “nano human cyborg”....chances are it will crap out and last as long as a ice cream cone in the sun.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Heh, China is a bastion of human rights. Be not concerned. No mention of transmissions.

Love how they use the term "housed" sounds so much better than "interned" or "imprisoned".

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Heh, China is a bastion of human rights. Be not concerned. No mention of transmissions.

Love how they use the term "housed" sounds so much better than "interned" or "imprisoned".
I hope that they force the laborers to make mine well.

Sponsored

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Damn now the Chinese are gonna steal our driving habits with a sneaky computer chip implanted into the Trannys ?

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am no longer buying a manual Bronco....sad. Will have to do more research on the auto. Hope the ZF in the auto is not a Chinese box geeez.

BroncOcotillo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sounds like the 10R80 auto transmission for the Bronco is Made In The USA. At least assembled in USA...
From fordauthority.com:

“The Ford Motor Company Sharonville Transmission plant is a transmission manufacturing facility located in Sharonville, Ohio, United States.

Established in 1958, Sharonville has long been the backup site for overflowing work at the Ford Motor Company Livonia Transmission plant. It is also where the Ford Crown Victoria’s transmission was once assembled for over three decades. With the Crown Victoria now discontinued, the Sharonville transmission plant currently overseas production of the 64140 6-speed automatic transmission – also known as the Torqshift – destined for the Ford Super Duty line of heavy duty trucks.

Sharonville is where the Ford/GM 10R80 10-speed transmission is assembled. The facility also manufacturers individual gears for the 6R80, 6R140, 6F35, 6F50/55, 8F57 transmissions. These gears are then shipped to other Ford manufacturing plants like the Ford Motor Company Van Dyke Transmissionplant and the Ford Motor Company Livonia Transmission plant.

This page shows information about the Ford Motor Company Sharonville Transmission plant.

Quick Facts
Year opened1958
Facility size2,415,000 square feet (224,360 m2)
Land occupied182 acres
Location3000 E Sharon Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45241, United States
Hourly employees1,590
Salaried employees200
Total employees1,790
Products
TRANSMISSIONPRODUCTION YEARS
6R140 Six-speed Transmission2011 - present
10R80 Ten-speed Transmission2017 - present
“

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought it was a ZF auto....guess not. Hey a 10R80....even better.

pveoq

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST, '84 Isuzu Trooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After owning an automatic 2012 Focus, I'm never buying an automatic from Ford again. My manual Fiesta ST has given me no issues. Sure there's a lot of awful manufacturing in China but they have high quality manufacturing too. I'll take my chances with the manual. I would feel really dumb if I got another faulty automatic from Ford. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...
Sponsored