Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

F83C8B4F-461B-41E5-84F6-6632BE6327DE.jpeg

(....Except for the Chinese-made transmission).

sorry. couldn’t resist.
What other parts/components on the Bronco will not be American made? Manual transmission won't be the only thing. If 100% American supplied part is your requirement then I suspect you will not be buying a Bronco
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are we for sure the trans is made in China? It has to meet 1 of two requirements for my purchase.

Manual
V8

If the best we get is a Chinese transmission then I’m out. No point in an open top truck that doesn’t sound good nor fun to drive.

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
People need to realize this isn’t a Mustang that IF the transmission craps out, it can be towed from a street or parking lot. This is a Bronco that is being marketed as a rugged and semi-extreme off roading vehicle. With that said, tow trucks will have a hell of a time towing your rig in the Rubicon trails WHEN that Chinese-made transmission craps out. I get it, not all Chinese-made products are terrible (i.e., iPhone)....but then again, an iPhone can’t leave you stranded thousands of feet above sea level in the remote wilderness.

This is why the United Nation uses Toyota LandCruisers as their vehicles of choice and not a Hyundai Santa Fe’s. Wait and see....this component alone will wreck the Bronco’s reputation. You heard it from me first.

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
People need to realize this isn’t a Mustang that IF the transmission craps out, it can be towed from a street or parking lot. This is a Bronco that is being marketed as a rugged and semi-extreme off roading vehicle. With that said, tow trucks will have a hell of a time towing your rig in the Rubicon trails WHEN that Chinese-made transmission craps out. I get it, not all Chinese-made products are terrible (i.e., iPhone)....but then again, an iPhone can’t leave you stranded thousands of feet above sea level in the remote wilderness.

This is why the United Nation uses Toyota LandCruisers as their vehicles of choice and not a Hyundai Santa Fe’s. Wait and see....this component alone will wreck the Bronco’s reputation. You heard it from me first.
Pretty strong statement for a vehicle and transmission that are not even available to the public yet.
I’m not happy that it looks like the Getrag manual transmission is coming from China but, I sure as heck am not buying onto the doom and gloom theory that it’s going to wreck the Bronco’s reputation.
By the way the Hyundai is made in Korea. It’s “near” China but is filled with totally different people, culture, government, human rights, industry and manufacturing processes, and quality control.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

Wholly agree, China is extremely unliked right now, for Ford to be buying a major component from the country, let alone a new product that they have a LOT of time invested in - is ridiculous.
No way I’m touching a Chinese transmission.

Sponsored

HeritageRider

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Xterra Pro-4X 2014 Focus SE 5MT 1994 H-D
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
After owning an automatic 2012 Focus, I'm never buying an automatic from Ford again. My manual Fiesta ST has given me no issues. Sure there's a lot of awful manufacturing in China but they have high quality manufacturing too. I'll take my chances with the manual. I would feel really dumb if I got another faulty automatic from Ford. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...
Those are DCT (dual clutch transmissions), not a conventional torque converter automatic. That transmission has cost Ford a fortune in lawsuits and warranty claims. I'm so glad my '14 Focus is a 5MT!

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pretty strong statement for a vehicle and transmission that are not even available to the public yet.
I’m not happy that it looks like the Getrag manual transmission is coming from China but, I sure as heck am not buying onto the doom and gloom theory that it’s going to wreck the Bronco’s reputation.
By the way the Hyundai is made in Korea. It’s “near” China but is filled with totally different people, culture, government, human rights, industry and manufacturing processes, and quality control.
I know the Santa Fe is Korean made, my point was that its not quality. The auto Bronco should be a hit, but that manual will be problematic....I can guarantee it.

• Haha
Reactions: N3T

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can do some quick research online and learn China has whole abandoned cities due to to new buildings crumbling. Some countries have banned China made steel because it is trash. China makes trash, they have no building code, integrity or accountability.
Each company sets their own quality control standards. Many a fine product comes out of China (most with a reputable non-Chinese company setting their quality control standards). Think apple etc. if Getrag has set up a professional QC department in China then no worries. If not , then yes, worry away. It all comes down to QC.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Each company sets their own quality control standards. Many a fine product comes out of China (most with a reputable non-Chinese company setting their quality control standards). Think apple etc. if Getrag has set up a professional QC department in China then no worries. If not , then yes, worry away. It all comes down to QC.
Well then judging by Getrags other Chinese products I think we are all rightly worried.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They are fully ISO certified so QC shouldn't be an issue. I think most of the issues with the MT-82 were design flaws, so that's on Getrag's engineers anyway. Supposedly the MT-88 is all-new to address those flaws so it has potential to be an awesome gearbox. I'm going to roll the dice and get the transmission I want rather than fret over potential issues that are entirely based on speculation at this point.

Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m totally sure that those auto transmissions are MADE with American parts? If you look close enough you will find a made with global parts (fancy speak for China) on almost all products now days

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
. I'm going to roll the dice and get the transmission I want rather than fret over potential issues that are entirely based on speculation at this point.
I remember reading this word for word when Ford introduced the DCT Focus.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Does a
I’m totally sure that those auto transmissions are MADE with American parts? If you look close enough you will find a made with global parts (fancy speak for China) on almost all products now days
I'd bet the farm the AT contains a significant amount of foreign parts and materials. Including Chinese.
Will a mostly US made highly complex 10-speed auto be more reliable over 200K miles than the mostly Chinese manual? Who knows.

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Usually when they say that....they are talking about smaller components....less critical components, NOT complete transmission assembly. Heck, even the McLaren’s have Chinese-made seat brackets....however, I promise you won’t see a Chinese-made crankshaft or differential in a McLaren.
Sponsored