Sponsored

Getrag Transmission: German or Chinese?

Deleted member 12854

I'm going to roll the dice and get the transmission I want rather than fret over potential issues that are entirely based on speculation at this point.
Most daily decisions are based on speculation. Some people make careers and billions of dollars on speculation. Our ability to anticipate and speculate is just another awesome ability that makes us human. I wouldn't dismiss it
Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Most daily decisions are based on speculation. Some people make careers and billions of dollars on speculation. Our ability to anticipate and speculate is just another awesome ability that makes us human. I wouldn't dismiss it
I think it's more reasoning and experience than speculation - but perhaps that's what we base the speculation on. I see your point.
But speculation is simply that.
Those people that make billions on it often disconnect it from reality - stock markets surge while the deficit rages, unemployment explodes, and the economy for most people tanks. This is why you have to step back and see it for what it is.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I get it. China sucks, but let’s not pretend that Detroit is some kind of garden of precision and quality.

Ford offers a warranty. What’s the worry? Recalls are inevitable on this vehicle anyway.

*Posted from my Chinese made tablet to a server with Chinese components on a network probably being spied on by the Chinese.

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Look, im sure we all want the Bronco to succeed....it really is looking to be a badass rig! I want one! However, I have owned quality vehicles and vehicles with US made parts....there is a HUGE difference vs. Chinese-made stuff.

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't have any problems with the MT82 in either my '15 or '16 GTs, so I'll give the MT88/7MTI550 a chance.

Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Look, im sure we all want the Bronco to succeed....it really is looking to be a badass rig! I want one! However, I have owned quality vehicles and vehicles with US made parts....there is a HUGE difference vs. Chinese-made stuff.
Lol....
Thinks china quality is bad but american quality is good???

We're you not around in the 80s??? The usa is pretty far from being known for quality products..... How many usa built cars do you see overseas?????

Any county has the ability to produce high quality stuff or cheap crap. The location of production tells you relatively little about the quality.

China flat out kicks america's butt at manufacturing, not only can the do it cheaper, they can do it at quality levels the usa can't match.

Apple makes stuff in china, cost is a factor there. But the bigger driver is china can get things done in 2 months that usa manufacturers can't get done in 2 years.

China is in all of our lives, they do things better and cheaper than we can do here.

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol....
Thinks china quality is bad but american quality is good???

We're you not around in the 80s??? The usa is pretty far from being known for quality products..... How many usa built cars do you see overseas?????

Any county has the ability to produce high quality stuff or cheap crap. The location of production tells you relatively little about the quality.

China flat out kicks america's butt at manufacturing, not only can the do it cheaper, they can do it at quality levels the usa can't match.

Apple makes stuff in china, cost is a factor there. But the bigger driver is china can get things done in 2 months that usa manufacturers can't get done in 2 years.

China is in all of our lives, they do things better and cheaper than we can do here.
Consider this...

The 93-98 Toyota Supra 6spd came equipped with a GERMAN MADE Getrag V160 manual transmission. That transmission is consistently known for handling crazy power and torque with rare issues only stemming from user error(s).

The Ford Mustang (non-Shelby) comes equipped with a CHINESE MADE Getrag transmission. Ford is still dealing with the class action lawsuit.

Go ahead, the podium is all yours...

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've only bought used, privately sold cars before this, so I'm new to how warranties work. But if there was an issue with the transmission, wouldn't it most likely happen within the warranty time period and therefore be covered?

What the one guy said about the Bronco being marketed as the ultimate off-road SUV with potentially an extremely important engine component such as the transmission being cheaply made, does give me pause. The MT is on my must-have list. If I choose not to get it, I'm essentially choosing not to get a Bronco. The transmission crapping out while I'm 6 miles deep into the Rubicon trail will royally piss me off whether or not it's covered by a warranty...

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anyone that thinks warranty will clear up any issues has no idea how manufacturers treat Manual trans customers. The answer is ALWAYS customer abuse, doesn’t matter you have half a million trouble free miles and 40 years experience on manual trans. The customer is ALWAYS at fault when it comes to manual trans warranty claims.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Consider this...

The 93-98 Toyota Supra 6spd came equipped with a GERMAN MADE Getrag V160 manual transmission. That transmission is consistently known for handling crazy power and torque with rare issues only stemming from user error(s).

The Ford Mustang (non-Shelby) comes equipped with a CHINESE MADE Getrag transmission. Ford is still dealing with the class action lawsuit.

Go ahead, the podium is all yours...
So the transmissions are identical other than the location of the factory they came out of?

Really that example only further backs up low american quality because it was ford who specified and approved a transmission that had problems. If ford wanted to put a more durable transmission in there they certainly could have done that. A more durable transmission could have been made in either county, but ford would have had to pay more for it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So the transmissions are identical other than the location of the factory they came out of?

Really that example only further backs up low american quality because it was ford who specified and approved a transmission that had problems. If ford wanted to put a more durable transmission in there they certainly could have done that. A more durable transmission could have been made in either county, but ford would have had to pay more for it.
Not the same transmission, the quality standards of raw materials. Chinese sourced and/or forged metals are nowhere near the quality of USA, Japanese, or German. THIS is why Getrag sent their manufacturing for this transmission to China....to offer a cheaper product to oem’s. We know this because the torque rating of the V160 is less than that of the new Getrag Transmission in the Mustang‘s....yet, the Mustangs Getrag still had issues. Whether its the Chinese build quality or forging, bottom line is....there will be quality concerns. Take my word on this.

This is more of a concern for Getrag than it is Ford, because Getrag will be reimbursing Ford for warranties. What worries me, is the Bronco name will get tainted.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After seeing what 1st gen mini owners went through I would trust a mt made in China before one made in the UK. Just sayin. So lets say its not made in China but not in North America, Japan, or Europe, where would give you the most confidence, and where the least?

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ok. Did a little digging. MAGNA bought Getrag in 2018. Ford and Getrag have a previous joint venture with 4 production facilities.

The plant in China has a capacity of 150k units a year. It currently produces the 5/6MTT125/215.

The plant in England has a capacity of 481k units a year. It currently produces the 6MTI500 and the 6MTT331.

The Bronco transmission is called the 6MTI550. That leads me to believe that it would most likely be built in England as it’s the successor to the 6MTI500.

Let the comments on British quality commence.

BroncOcotillo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What other parts/components on the Bronco will not be American made? Manual transmission won't be the only thing. If 100% American supplied part is your requirement then I suspect you will not be buying a Bronco
Hey. It was just a response to the “Getrag transmission” thread. I’m getting a Bronco and have no “requirements,” other than certain features I prefer, but I likely won’t be getting a manual transmission assembled in China.

Ford Bronco Getrag Transmission:  German or Chinese? C56C8765-42E3-40A9-AB24-F079C29AEAA1
Sponsored