Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Anyone that thinks warranty will clear up any issues has no idea how manufacturers treat Manual trans customers. The answer is ALWAYS customer abuse, doesn’t matter you have half a million trouble free miles and 40 years experience on manual trans. The customer is ALWAYS at fault when it comes to manual trans warranty claims.
Can you provide an example? I'm naive to how warranties work in these situations, having never owned a new vehicle before
Sponsored

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After seeing what 1st gen mini owners went through I would trust a mt made in China before one made in the UK. Just sayin. So lets say its not made in China but not in North America, Japan, or Europe, where would give you the most confidence, and where the least?
I use USA, Japan, and Germany as examples because those countries manufacturing standards are synonymous for being generally high—er quality than say China, Taiwan, Etc... Name me one automotive brand that is HISTORICALLY known for its high performance and reliability made outside of the “Top Three”???

Tremec (USA), ZF (Germany), Getrag (Germany), AISIN (Japan), Denso (Japan), Hitachi (Japan), Garrett (USA), IHI (Japan), etc... The list is well defined and consistent. This isn’t a bash at a group of people...it is a bash at quality standards.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use USA, Japan, and Germany as examples because those countries manufacturing standards are synonymous for being generally high—er quality than say China, Taiwan, Etc... Name me one automotive brand that is HISTORICALLY known for its high performance and reliability made outside of the “Top Three”???

Tremec (USA), ZF (Germany), Getrag (Germany), AISIN (Japan), Denso (Japan), Hitachi (Japan), Garrett (USA), IHI (Japan), etc... The list is well defined and consistent. This isn’t a bash at a group of people...it is a bash at quality standards.
Didn't say company...just country of origin...most of those names own plants in other countries...mainly china

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Didn't say company...just country of origin...most of those names own plants in other countries...mainly china
I agree, most do have manufacturing plants in China. My point is based on statistics and how several of those companies have opted out of China manufacturing for quality concerns....would you feel confident in a critical component like a transmission being made in a factory with below average quality?

My 4Runners had Chinese made parts in them (i.e., cigarette lighter cover, door sill plastics, glove compartment cover, etc...). Not a single mechanical part or electronic outside of Japan though ;-)

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I see Germany and China in that job listing. Not much good to do the engineering and testing in Germany and then send production to China.
As someone that has worked in this type of environment keeping your engineering and production in one place is crucial to pinpointing issues and developing real time solutions. This is how you can pinpoint issues to 25-100 units and solve those issues before it becomes 25,000-100,000 units.

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As someone that has worked in this type of environment keeping your engineering and production in one place is crucial to pinpointing issues and developing real time solutions. This is how you can pinpoint issues to 25-100 units and solve those issues before it becomes 25,000-100,000 units.
110% correct sir.

Quality Control is the cornerstone of any successful business.

Sponsored

BroncOcotillo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So much this.

Lots of anti-China rants, no evidence that ‘this vehicle’s reputation is ruined by having this transmission made in China’. Ridiculous level of xenophobia on display.

Where are these same people when it comes to actual purchases? Don’t they realize we imported a record amount of products from China in the last quarter? That trade deficit that was so important a few years back? Record level of trade deficit with China in July 2020.

And what does all this have to do with the amazing, all new, beautiful Bronco that we can’t wait to get our grubby hands on? Nada. Let’s stick to the topic, eh?
Has nothing to do with dislike or prejudice against the Chinese people(xenophobia). Maybe a bit to do with distaste for the Chinese government. Personally, it has to do with previous poor quality control of Chinese transmission manufacturing and jobs that could have been done in the USA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So much this.

Lots of anti-China rants, no evidence that ‘this vehicle’s reputation is ruined by having this transmission made in China’. Ridiculous level of xenophobia on display.

Where are these same people when it comes to actual purchases? Don’t they realize we imported a record amount of products from China in the last quarter? That trade deficit that was so important a few years back? Record level of trade deficit with China in July 2020.

And what does all this have to do with the amazing, all new, beautiful Bronco that we can’t wait to get our grubby hands on? Nada. Let’s stick to the topic, eh?
This isn’t a racial topic, stop trying to push it in that direction.

This is a legitimate concern for some of us who work hard for our DOLLAR. If Ford wants $50k+ from us, they better offer a $50k+ quality car. Period.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s a dead-end question. Ford needs to redefine their strategy in this area. Go ask Toyota to outsource their powertrain or drivetrain for the 4Runner or LandCruiser to China, Indonesia, Taiwan, etc... even though they have manufacturing in those countries. They will laugh at you. Why? Toyota understands that a vehicle meant to take you off-road must be reliable and durable. Toyota knows the only way to accomplish that is by manufacturing crucial components in top-tier quality facilities. Corolla, Yaris, etc... sure let China have a crack at it. They can be serviced on-road quite easily, it will hardly leave a dent in Toyota’s bank account.

To answer your question, as it stands today, nothing outside of; USA, Japan, and Germany for quality manufacturing and products. These are facts my friend.
Ford contracted w/getrag for a transmission. Getrag chooses where it is manufactured, not Ford. Ford IS NOT Getrag's only customer. Could Ford apply pressure to Getrag to get it manufactured somewhere else? Maybe, but doubtful it would change anything. This is the way manufacturing works today...not saying I like it, just its a fact of life. I think I'm fully on topic asking if not china then where? How much does it matter? I'm not defending it at all...sure, I would prefer its made in the USA, but I'm so used to a little china in every product that I'm not all that worked up about it. If the plant was in Malaysia, or India, or Brazil, I guess i wouldn't really know the difference. As long as the thing holds up...fine

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford contracted w/getrag for a transmission. Getrag chooses where it is manufactured, not Ford. Ford IS NOT Getrag's only customer. Could Ford apply pressure to Getrag to get it manufactured somewhere else? Maybe, but doubtful it would change anything. This is the way manufacturing works today...not saying I like it, just its a fact of life. I think I'm fully on topic asking if not china then where? How much does it matter? I'm not defending it at all...sure, I would prefer its made in the USA, but I'm so used to a little china in every product that I'm not all that worked up about it. If the plant was in Malaysia, or India, or Brazil, I guess i wouldn't really know the difference. As long as the thing holds up...fine
I understand what you are saying, but Ford is the customer in this arena....not Getrag. When Ford decides who to choose as their transmission supplier, you bet they can define THEIR OWN STRATEGY! This means deciding whether or not they want to go with a unit manufactured in China for their 4x4.
Sponsored