First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree that configuration would be best for off-roading/rock-crawling. The 2.7 automatic might be better for desert running.
It will be better. Grabbing a gear fast and smoothly in a sand wash or while you've got several other inputs for your hands and eyes, especially steering, the mental stimulus is just easier to deal with. The fat shift will keep momentum better. Yea sure, you can run a manual, but race teams and enthusiasts alike run autos in the desert for a reason. Gate shifters on TTs and KoH rigs are common, that's why selecting a gear has become normal for off road oriented AT vehicles. I speak from experience: pushing a button for a gear coming out of a high speed, off camber 4 wheel drift in a turn then getting right into a jump or similar obstacle while avoiding that one tree and rock on the inside of the corner is easier without trying to balance your foot on the 3rd pedal searching for a gear while the trail is bashing you around, then saying screw it and bogging out of the turn in a gear that's too high and nose diving. That's just too much input to deal with. Just the jostling about in the truck is enough to make you miss the shifts a little too often, let alone all that added stimuli. Unless it's short throw and tidy like a WRC car, but those roads tend to be groomed better than desert trails. Even then just give me paddle shifters or a button on the shift lever.

But whatevs, to each their own. Maybe Ford will release a V10 16L TT EcoBoost with a hybrid manual/auto transmission and helicopter rotors on the Warthog for MY21. That's hopefully why the B&P is delayed. ?
Sponsored

WadeWolf76

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler JK Willy's, 67 Ford Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"...heated 'debris' could contact ignition sources and cause a fire."

This isn't even a known issue or documented case. Manufacturers put out the warning to make sure people don't drag-@ss and not come in for the recall. It's like when Toyota told everyone the pedal recall may cause your vehicle to not stop, lose control, and kill you so people would come in and get the fake recall done to cover their butts. In the end, the Toyota issue was just a hoax because the big three were losing money while Toyota was making money. Politics....it's everywhere....like Corona.

If a faulty manual transmission can cause your vehicle to burn to a crisp, then this should have been documented numerous times in the past with manual trans cars existing longer than autos since the Model T.

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, FJ40, SLK300, Viper
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This isn't even a known issue or documented case. Manufacturers put out the warning to make sure people don't drag-@ss and not come in for the recall. It's like when Toyota told everyone the pedal recall may cause your vehicle to not stop, lose control, and kill you so people would come in and get the fake recall done to cover their butts. In the end, the Toyota issue was just a hoax because the big three were losing money while Toyota was making money. Politics....it's everywhere....like Corona.

If a faulty manual transmission can cause your vehicle to burn to a crisp, then this should have been documented numerous times in the past with manual trans cars existing longer than autos since the Model T.
At least one owner posted on JL FB group I watch.

The following was from a quick search and a different vehicle.

Ford Bronco Getrag Transmission:  German or Chinese? 1600375245631

Ford Bronco Getrag Transmission:  German or Chinese? 1600376465470

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fire-result-of-transmission-failure.46100/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At least one owner posted on JL FB group I watch.

The following was from a quick search and a different vehicle.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fire-result-of-transmission-failure.46100/
My point is, how do they conclude the transmission caused that fire? It’s like the “runaway Prius” that killed the old lady years ago. There was ZERO evidence that the pedal malfunctioned or the throttle body stayed “stuck open.” Then Toyota issued a recall to shorten the pedal or cut a hole in the carpet (to shut the media up), because stupid idiots were putting thick heavy floor mats that were making the pedal stuck when accelerator was at WOT.

Again, a picture of a burned Jeep doesn’t explain anything. It’s just that, a burned Jeep. “Runaway Toyota’s Part II” another hoax.

Sponsored

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, FJ40, SLK300, Viper
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My point is, how do they conclude the transmission caused that fire? It’s like the “runaway Prius” that killed the old lady years ago. There was ZERO evidence that the pedal malfunctioned or the throttle body stayed “stuck open.” Then Toyota issued a recall to shorten the pedal or cut a hole in the carpet (to shut the media up), because stupid idiots were putting thick heavy floor mats that were making the pedal stuck when accelerator was at WOT.

Again, a picture of a burned Jeep doesn’t explain anything. It’s just that, a burned Jeep. “Runaway Toyota’s Part II” another hoax.
https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Jobs/Automotive-Warranty-Claims-Adjuster

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It will be better. Grabbing a gear fast and smoothly in a sand wash or while you've got several other inputs for your hands and eyes, especially steering, the mental stimulus is just easier to deal with. The fat shift will keep momentum better. Yea sure, you can run a manual, but race teams and enthusiasts alike run autos in the desert for a reason. Gate shifters on TTs and KoH rigs are common, that's why selecting a gear has become normal for off road oriented AT vehicles. I speak from experience: pushing a button for a gear coming out of a high speed, off camber 4 wheel drift in a turn then getting right into a jump or similar obstacle while avoiding that one tree and rock on the inside of the corner is easier without trying to balance your foot on the 3rd pedal searching for a gear while the trail is bashing you around, then saying screw it and bogging out of the turn in a gear that's too high and nose diving. That's just too much input to deal with. Just the jostling about in the truck is enough to make you miss the shifts a little too often, let alone all that added stimuli. Unless it's short throw and tidy like a WRC car, but those roads tend to be groomed better than desert trails. Even then just give me paddle shifters or a button on the shift lever.

But whatevs, to each their own. Maybe Ford will release a V10 16L TT EcoBoost with a hybrid manual/auto transmission and helicopter rotors on the Warthog for MY21. That's hopefully why the B&P is delayed. ?
Yeah but will that V10 Warthog have a hybrid hard/soft top that changes color and has every panel top and sides interchangeable? I'm starting the petition right now :LOL:

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are fully ISO certified so QC shouldn't be an issue. I think most of the issues with the MT-82 were design flaws, so that's on Getrag's engineers anyway. Supposedly the MT-88 is all-new to address those flaws so it has potential to be an awesome gearbox. I'm going to roll the dice and get the transmission I want rather than fret over potential issues that are entirely based on speculation at this point.
I don't know much about manuals but I'm going to just go with it. We don't have much choice with the Bronco and manual at the moment. So we either buy it and roll the dice or go to Jeep and get their manual.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My money's on hookers and blow.

... wait. Not literally
If you do it right, it's other people's money you're using for your hookers and cocaine.

However, I digress. Frankly, i'm not all that concerned about the manual transmission on offer. Things go wrong with any vehicle, and parts fail, and warranties exist or aftermarket parts exist. Ford admitted faults to their dual clutch offerings (as a result of class action lawsuit, not voluntarily) and there have been recalls on vehicles. This happens. To assume that somehow having a Chinese assembled component in the vehicle will somehow be a fleet-wide failure mode with 100% penetration seems to only serve somebody who has pre-existing beliefs about the nation in question. And we all know that chicks only date welders, because welders produce 100% penetration, 100% of the time!

Frankly, if all domestic manufacturers were going to repatriate 100% of parts production and manufacturing back to the US, not only would the domestic auto market collapse, but the products would be pretty horrific as well (or do you all forget what cars America was producing during the 1980's?).

It's not like there was a roving gang of Chinese banditos which caused the pollution in Flint Michigan. It was Americans polluting their own nation for monetary profit. Now you get the UAW unintentionally (to the point of criminal stupidity) trying to take down the American auto sector from within.....

So the options on the table really are "globally sourced manufacturing" or "failed industry".

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Interesting thread. Our community is filled with such diverse ideas and experiences.
2 Examples: This thread questioning the viability of the manual transmission due to manufacturing location.
#2: The thread about the potential MANSQUATCH and how if it happens a ton of folks are on board and may even be changing models from BL to BASEMANSQUATCH or similar.
I think this proves that there is enough choice/options in the Bronco to fulfill everyone’s desires end state.

Sponsored

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

My experience is FCA (or whatever they are called now) likes to have silly recalls. Like a big one (100k+ impacted) for RAM 1500's just came out a week or two ago that is a safety recall for floormats. Watch out for those dangerous floormats...

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Interesting thread. Our community is filled with such diverse ideas and experiences.
2 Examples: This thread questioning the viability of the manual transmission due to manufacturing location.
#2: The thread about the potential MANSQUATCH and how if it happens a ton of folks are on board and may even be changing models from BL to BASEMANSQUATCH or similar.
I think this proves that there is enough choice/options in the Bronco to fulfill everyone’s desires end state.
I bridge that divide myself. Hate me Chinese transmission but may just get me a BaseManSquatch. I will just pretend my trans was made in the UK.. Denial is a wonderful thing..

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is not geography. It is the “system” within that Geographical location. Standards. If we classify this as “concerns of foreign parts” well that wouldn’t be very informative as Japanese and German parts are “foreign.” Again, this is not about Chinese people....its about the Chinese manufacturing standards and how they have and continue to be below average in overall quality.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

The fact that the bellhousing is fragged, and the clutch is exposed should be a good clue. That didn't happen in the fire, and the guy sure didn't drive it like that.
Sponsored