Sponsored

Getting leather seats wet - how bad is it?

Jp215

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My concern with it is durability but not from getting wet or dirty. I’m concerned that if I hop in the thing while exercising my 2A and my shirt moves, could the firearm cut the vinyl ?
Sponsored

Todkavonic

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ducati, Guzzi, and the Jeep.
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Most of the leather used in vehicles anymore doesn’t contain all that much dead cow.

It’s interesting how people here are all excited by marine grade vinyl, when not to many years ago you could not have sold them a car with plastic seats.
yes, back then everyone was excited about soft Corinthian leather :ROFLMAO:

Ford Bronco Getting leather seats wet - how bad is it? 8B25EB79-1698-4F08-9FB9-46F4D25B82ED

"Oddly enough, the first Chrysler product to be equipped with the automaker’s famed (but utterly fictitious) “Corinthian leather” was the 1974 Imperial LeBaron. But nobody remembers that. Instead they recall the phrase from the new Cordoba introduced one year later, thanks to the kitschy television commercials starring actor Ricardo Montalban (1920-2009). Today, Montalban is celebrated for three great roles: as the proprietor of television’s Fantasy Island of 1977-1984; in the title role of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan; and as the star of a whole series of Chrysler commercials in which the phase “soft Corinthian leather” r-r-rolls off his silvery tongue as though he were reading from Cervantes.

In truth, there’s no such thing as “Corinthian leather.” The Wall Street Journal would later determine that the leather goods used in Chrysler products were procured not from an ancient city in Greece, but from a wholesaler in New Jersey. The “Corinthian leather” phrase was reportedly invented by Bozell, Chrysler’s Omaha-based ad agency. Chrysler used essentially the same middling-grade treated hides as the rest of the Motor City."

From https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/the-chrysler-cordoba-corinthian-leather-commercial/

At least marine-grade vinyl is actually a thing. It is, right? Right?!?

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Most of the leather used in vehicles anymore doesn’t contain all that much dead cow.

It’s interesting how people here are all excited by marine grade vinyl, when not to many years ago you could not have sold them a car with plastic seats.
Todays marine grade vinyl is so much better than it was when vinyl was common in cars. My boat is 10 years old, in the sun lots, has kids and dogs on it. It still looks new, easy to clean and feels very nice. Its soft and very pliable, has a high dollar feel to it.

The marine grade vinyl is the shiz... it looks and feels like fabric on my boat. I'm considering it over leather.
Yep. As long as they use the high end, high grade marine vinyl like in Mastecraft and other high end boats it will be very nice.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My concern with it is durability but not from getting wet or dirty. I’m concerned that if I hop in the thing while exercising my 2A and my shirt moves, could the firearm cut the vinyl ?
You can say gun man, like you said, 2nd Amendment Right, right?

I've been more concerned with my conceal carry cutting my leather than I would a synthetic vinyl. If carrying one of my bigger pistols in a back belt holster, I just don't see how you can drive with that. I take off the .45 or 9mm, but my smaller .380 fits nicely in my pocket of cargo pants or shorts, you'll never notice it.

This vinyl, like that on my boat and someone else has stated, feels almost indestructible. People with the fake leather in BMWs love it. Frankly I only have gotten the leather for the smell. The Dakota leather is decent, but not soft and it is durable, but I wouldn't trust that stuff wet at all.

The leather likely used by Ford can't be that good, so it may prove more trouble than worth if you plan to go off road. If Bronco will be your street car, not a big deal unless you plan to keep it for 10 years. No modern auto leather should show much wear for first 5 years even if you do nothing to treat it.

Jp215

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yea I realize I mentioned the vinyl but I meant to to include the leather also. I have cloth in my f150 and im also left handed so I usually carry in the waistband but at my back because I carry a baby desert eagle .40 and it’s a tat on the large side. I haven’t had any problems with the cloth seats but I don’t know what to expect from the leather and vinyl

Sponsored

Jchetty

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Tacoma, 00 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okole makes neoprene seat covers and may be a good option to use when you know you will be getting the leather seats really wet.

Last edited:

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Exactly!

Ever heard of nappa leather?

Nocturnal
Animals
Procceced in
Particles for
Automotive

OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1969 Mustang, 85 SVO, Mach-e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If your one that is going to be have your interior wet alot, why not go with the marine grade interior.
Problem is you can't get the vinyl seats in a First Edition

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good questions, but you'd be in prison or dead if all of that plays out the way you just wrote, so why would it even matter? You're Bronco would then be sold to someone else, so guess I'll share my thoughts with that person when they come on Bronco6G to ask....

Sponsored
OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1969 Mustang, 85 SVO, Mach-e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So was I. See how easy it is to mistake context on the internet? I was sure you were joking.
Sponsored