Sponsored

Getting leather seats wet - how bad is it?

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1969 Mustang, 85 SVO, Mach-e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want the rubber floor so if I get caught in the rain, I won't have to worry about anything, but what about the seats? I have a BL and FE reserved. I just realized that the FE has rubber floors, but obviously leather.

What if they get wet? What do people do, scotch guard them? Bees wax?
Sponsored

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My guess would be whatever you put on leather boots to keep them water resistant

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would rate as not a big deal, Girlfriend and I hop out of the ocean into the truck, turned the heated seats on and go. Other than typical wear there are no stains or issues.

OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's good to know. Thanks!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would rate as not a big deal, Girlfriend and I hop out of the ocean into the truck, turned the heated seats on and go. Other than typical wear there are no stains or issues.
That's a good point, maybe the heated seats will help it all dry out. Hopefully water doesn't go through the leather, but I'm sure some water has to get in somewhere...

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This has happened to me more times then I care to admit. You think I would have bought an emergency rain cover by now for when I am out and about. To answer the OP's question: the leather in my JKU has taken the abuse just fine and I think the Broncos will too. Just have to give everything a good wipe down and pull the carpets if possible. Looking forward to just pulling some drain plugs in the Badlands with the vinyl and rubber for when I get caught out in it.

OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you all for the feedback!

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think after consantly getting wet it might evently break down the leather. If your one that is going to be have your interior wet alot, why not go with the marine grade interior. In the long run marine grade will serve better for the beachcombers, surfers and those that plan on hosing down their interior.

moresmoke

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Chief
Your Bronco Model
Base
Most of the leather producing animals live outdoors ;)
Most of the leather used in vehicles anymore doesn’t contain all that much dead cow.

It’s interesting how people here are all excited by marine grade vinyl, when not to many years ago you could not have sold them a car with plastic seats.

Sponsored

Norsman

Badlands
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The marine grade vinyl is the shiz... it looks and feels like fabric on my boat. I'm considering it over leather.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most of the leather used in vehicles anymore doesn’t contain all that much dead cow.

It’s interesting how people here are all excited by marine grade vinyl, when not to many years ago you could not have sold them a car with plastic seats.
Think this has depended on application (what kind of car) and information/education.

In my BMWs, Leather is a must, but those have been for the purpose of luxury and sport. Add to the fact that the doors and tops didn't come off. I to this day don't even drive around with the moon roof open and the shade is always closed.

I've always detailed my own cars including interior with the real stuff from Adams, Chemical Guys, Griots, SONAX, etc and did annual paint corrections and kept the cars pretty much showroom ready.

I ain't doing none of this shit with Bronco. Bronco will see it's fair share of rain, dirt, sand, and mud. lots of good thick mud lather; gives character to the vehicle to allow it to just cake on up in there real good.

I am getting the Marine vinyl seats and actually insist on anything but leather, because when some people even get on my boat they think they're sitting on leather seats (folks from Alabama, Ha!).

So, apples to oranges vehicles friend.

Last edited:

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My 4Runner TRD PRO has Softex (Synthentic leather) which in my opinon is very rugged. If the Marine Grade interior is similar it will a hugh hit.
Ford Bronco Getting leather seats wet - how bad is it? 2020tos070119_640_13

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I kept King Ranch leather conditioner on my F-250 leather seats when I had a King Ranch years ago. It kept it looking good and kept from drying out and cracking. It was something I had to do 2-3 times a year. You definitely need to do something to it because if it's real leather the elements will eventually take a toll.
Sponsored