Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Many of us went through this same comparison specially if you wanted the mid package. The heated seats was a MUST option dictated by my wife. In the end I just bumped it to the High Package on the BL because the whole vehicle is geared around off-roading and I wanted the 360 camera stuff and decided its now or never. Other than that those were only the two items I really wanted/needed, but Ford marketing knows how to force upselling. Also did not splurge for the Sasquatch package on the BL, just not justifiable, but I would have done that option on any other trim that didnt have it.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I don't understand is what mid-package features are driving you $5k above the BD, just to get a manual with a Mid package other than the heated seats that can be duplicated for under $100 in parts?

Is it the:

2 door intelligent access?
Ambient footwell lighting?
Auto-dimming rear-view?
The 90 day trial Navigation system?
Dual-Zone Climate Control? (happy wife, happy life option)
Illuminated Vanity Mirrors (this must be it)? (another happy wife, happy life option)
The 110v power outlet? (this is for me to power my laptop when needed, I'm a workaholic)
Rear parking sensors? (not 100% sure I need it, never had it, but this is a big rig so thought it would be good to have)

Enhanced voice recognition for Sync 4?
Auto high beam?
Blind Spot information system w/ CTA?
The lane keeping system?
The pre-collision assist?
Or the backup assist grid lines?

I know that some people noted that they wanted the Sasquatch but didn't want to essentially pay $6k for a suspension upgrade, some rims and tires they may not want, and a front locker. I don't see what is so attractive about the Mid-package here that people are wanting to leave the BD for the BL.

Help me understand, because I am not seeing $6,500 in additional value above (including the front locker, Bilstein's, sway bar disconnect, and Mid-package) for someone who doesn't desire the front locker or sway bar disconnect.
I highlighted the stuff I wanted/needed in the Mid above. some for me, some for the wife, and of course the heated seats.

My wife runs hot and she wants cold air blowing on her ALL THE TIME. to the point I feel like I am in a meat locker without dual climate zones. I could get by without it (I don't have it in my bimmer, and just wear a jacket in the car when I am with her). My wife is also applying makeup 98% of the time when we go somewhere. I guess it is better than always being 20 min late by doing it at home, but she can't do this in a car without lighted vanity mirrors, so a silly option, but believe me very needed to avoid the "you bought a $50K car and the damn thing doesn't have lighted vanity mirrors?" conversation. :)

The 110v outlet in our Subaru Outback gets used all the time on long road trips for my laptop. I could get a cigarette lighter power supply, but it made the Mid package more desirable.

Finally the rear parking sensor. Not having had a really big vehicle before, I didn't have a good concept of how difficult/hard it would be to back up in this thing and not hit stuff. I can back into a parking spot better/faster with my 330i faster than most people can with a rear camera, but it is a small, maneuverable car. Just figured to be safe, it would be nice to have this feature.

So yes, I wanted 4dr, manual, and mid. I also wanted the bigger engine, but I could give that up. If the 4cyl was a gutless 100hp motor, i wouldn't be buying a Bronco at all.

Options are a very personal choice (hence the word "options"). for me it was a deal breaker not having Mid with a manual in the BD, but I still wanted the Bronco so I caved and moved to the BL.

Last edited:

Crazyhorse8889

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RTR Mustang, 1933 Ford truck, Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I went with the BD and SAS bc its going mainly be my vehicle and dad mobile. I like the heated seats and mid package but with 2 kids under 3 the MGV and wash out floors are a plus. If I want all the comfort stuff we will take the wife's fully loaded Durango. Bronco is gonna be our go to the creek, camping and fun family vehicle. Durango is the family comfort ride and Mustang is the party car. So I gave up some of the over the top stuff of the BL

long_road

Big Bend
First Name
TR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202? 4dr CG Big Bend 2.3 7MT (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've been pretty vocal in all these various BD vs BL threads talking about my own "struggle" to pick between the two. After an exhaustive point by point analysis of all the factors that matter to me, I ultimately ordered a 4 door Black Diamond.

Then after a couple weeks of having that gnawing gut-feeling nagging at me, I called up my dealer and changed it to a 2-door Badlands.

At the end of the day, the Bronco isn't a "practical" purchase. This is a splurge vehicle that will be used for recreation only. Do I need any of the Badlands stuff? Nah. But will I feel good knowing I have it? Of course! Sigh... I'm one of those people.

Kinda funny, the whole "can't get mid-package on BD with a manual" thing didn't matter to me. I didn't even get mid on my Badlands. Just went with a 2.3 manual with standard package and nothing else.
Sponsored