First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, I pulled the trigger today and formalized my order and went with a BL over a BD.

Ford got me hook, line and sinker and got me to spend more $$$ for the BL just to get Mid.

And I went with the Eruption Green since they also took away my AMB option.

Now I guess I need to see when I might actually get it. Hoping it is before next July when I normally go to Montana for fly fishing with family. Would love to drive out in the Bronco instead of flying out and renting a car...

This might be the only vehicle that doesn't apply to this old frequent traveler joke: "What's the difference between an SUV and a rental car? There is nowhere you can't drive a rental car :) "

And I have done some moronic things in my day in a rental car in Montana...
Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford got me hook, line and sinker and got me to spend more $$$ for the BL just to get Mid.
I'm confused. Black Diamond offers mid also.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I just wish I could get the mid package in a base...

Sponsored

Leonidas

Badlands
First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m in the same situation as you guys, but I bumped up to the Badlands to get my damn heated seats. While I was there I went up to the high package for the 12ā€ screen, 360 cameras, forward parking sensors, and mirror LED lights. For the extra $1295 the high package is a relative bargain. There probably wonā€™t be too many manual transmission high package Broncos built. I thought about the next $2295 for Lux, but I donā€™t know how well the adaptive cruise control will work on a manual and I didnā€™t care for the B&O stereo option. Heated steering wheel and the garage door opener were the only Lux options I would want.

I have a second reservation to order a 2022, but I wanted to wait until my 2021 (with vin) is delivered to see what I would change. Iā€™m debating on flipping the 2021 when it arrives. Honestly a base with aftermarket seat heaters would probably fit my needs just fine.
BL with manual and lux build here. I can attest to the adaptive cruise control working amazingly (depends on your perception) as designed on a manual transmission. Set the distance and if a car cuts in front of me it slows down excessively which was a bit abrupt the first time it happened but was ready for it after that. It does also pick back up to the set speed once the set distance to the vehicle in front becomes open again.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
BL with manual and lux build here. I can attest to the adaptive cruise control working amazingly (depends on your perception) as designed on a manual transmission. Set the distance and if a car cuts in front of me it slows down excessively which was a bit abrupt the first time it happened but was ready for it after that. It does also pick back up to the set speed once the set distance to the vehicle in front becomes open again.
Good to hear. Itā€™s too late for me to change as I have a vin for a week of 11/15 build.

Leonidas

Badlands
First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good to hear. Itā€™s too late for me to change as I have a vin for a week of 11/15 build.
All good, just wanted to give a real life review as it seemed to be something that you were curious about.

Congrats! Does that mean you'll be receiving it in the next few months then? Not sure how that works as I waited 7 months for mine.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Geezer hereā€¦life lesson learned is, ā€œ if you can afford the extra, get the extra. If you can pay for bigger, go bigger. Because no amount of money can pay for regret. ā€œ If this Bronco was solely for my use, I would have done Base SAS auto or BD SAS autoā€¦both two doors with the 2.7. Since this will be a shared vehicle, the finer things in life are required. BL lux non SAS provides all that. You only live once.

Leonidas

Badlands
First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Geezer hereā€¦life lesson learned is, ā€œ if you can afford the extra, get the extra. If you can pay for bigger, go bigger. Because no amount of money can pay for regret. ā€œ If this Bronco was solely for my use, I would have done Base SAS auto or BD SAS autoā€¦both two doors with the 2.7. Since this will be a shared vehicle, the finer things in life are required. BL lux non SAS provides all that. You only live once.
Exactly what my wife and I decided, which is why we went BL lux non SAS as well. Already looking into a 22 though as we ordered it with a hardtop and it wasn't available due to the lawsuit, so it came with a soft top and it was not built with the hard top wiring prep kit for later installation.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OK lemme get this straight. I have tried to analyze the differences between the BL and the BD in a 4 door config and maybe it is just me but I am a little irritated at the process and the issue revolves around getting the Mid-package with a manual transmission.

I just want a friggin Mid-package on a 4 door manual BD and instead of spending $1495 I have to spend almost $6500???
@Ford Motor Company has entered the discussion:

"Can we interest you in a Badlands with Lux?"

LMFAO

OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Ford Motor Company has entered the discussion:

"Can we interest you in a Badlands with Lux?"

LMFAO
That was actually pretty good! :)

Ford marketing can bite me!

As recently as 2019 there were "cold weather" packages available for the Explorer. Some Harvard MBA grad yahoo took packaging lessons from Comcast and ESPN and decided to screw all their customers by putting the gold nugget option into a massive pile of crap that costs a ton of money and are laughing all the way to the bank.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I made the tongue in cheek comment earlier because I really wanted to comment on this topic and do it justice. The only Mid-package feature that I have seen identified as a must have has been the heated seats, which as noted could be added via the aftermarket vs going to the Badlands Mid package.

Depending on whether you were to go with the standard 4x4 vs the advanced 4x4 transfer case is a difference of $40,290 vs $41.480 ($1190 more), either case the 2.3 Manual Badlands comes with a rear locking differential. So this makes a lot of sense as a configuration, especially for those who don't want a bunch of other features that are less than useful in their personal situations.

What I don't understand is what mid-package features are driving you $5k above the BD, just to get a manual with a Mid package other than the heated seats that can be duplicated for under $100 in parts?

Is it the:

2 door intelligent access?
Ambient footwell lighting?
Auto-dimming rear-view?
The 90 day trial Navigation system?
Dual-Zone Climate Control?
Illuminated Vanity Mirrors (this must be it)?
The 110v power outlet?
Rear parking sensors?
Enhanced voice recognition for Sync 4?
Auto high beam?
Blind Spot information system w/ CTA?
The lane keeping system?
The pre-collision assist?
Or the backup assist grid lines?

I know that some people noted that they wanted the Sasquatch but didn't want to essentially pay $6k for a suspension upgrade, some rims and tires they may not want, and a front locker. I don't see what is so attractive about the Mid-package here that people are wanting to leave the BD for the BL.

Help me understand, because I am not seeing $6,500 in additional value above (including the front locker, Bilstein's, sway bar disconnect, and Mid-package) for someone who doesn't desire the front locker or sway bar disconnect.

First, the Badlands non-sas suspension, which is capable of more articulation than the Sasquatch package by about 4% would only set you back about $1300 (assuming you install it yourself).

Second, there are several options should you want to do something about the open front differential depending on how hard you are going to be on the equipment. A lunch box locker being probably the cheapest option, a true track limited slip, or even an M210 ELD are all options that could be retrofit. The cheapest option, the lunch box locker is only a few hundred dollars (certainly under $500 to DIY install it).

Personally, I didn't want MGV or the washout floors, and I was getting a 2.7 so I was already saddled with the automatic transmission (and my one must have was ACC - Thanks Ford for making me jump to a minimum OBX to get that). Like many of you, didn't feel like I needed 4.7 gears, sway bar disconnect, and the Sasquatch rims and tires, I did want a front locker though and the Bilstein dampers.

My answer is to build my 2 door 2.7 OBXlands... LOL. A TrueTrac LSD in the front axle ($500 + some addional install parts), the Badlands suspension ($1300), and 33.5" tires on RTR Tech 6 wheels ($2000). It's still less than the $4200 Sasquatch package - I am sure that I can recoup some of the money down the road if I sell the OBX suspension, rims, and tires. That's how I worked around the issues I was stuck confronting.

GTPrincessa

Black Diamond
First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That was actually pretty good! :)

Ford marketing can bite me!

As recently as 2019 there were "cold weather" packages available for the Explorer. Some Harvard MBA grad yahoo took packaging lessons from Comcast and ESPN and decided to screw all their customers by putting the gold nugget option into a massive pile of crap that costs a ton of money and are laughing all the way to the bank.
My husband calls that the "man-bun" syndrom!

Baconator

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Chevrolet Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I spent a lot of time debating the BD vs BL. I also was frustrated with all the package nonsense (e.g., needing the Lux package to get Universal Garage Door Opener). At least the 16 months of waiting allowed me to analyze every possible configuration.

So I guess Ford won this battle since I ended up with a Badlands with Lux Package. I am OK with it because I wanted a Truck or SUV with manual transmission that had most of the amenities I am used to. Very slim pickings in the market today.

And don't get me started about no power seats...
Sponsored