First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Fastback AND A 2014 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes that is correct. I was able to program 2 spares using the method described in the owners manual
Sponsored

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Should have gone to a local automotive locksmith. It would have took 20 minutes and probably cost you half of what the dealer wants. You said cut? Or did you mean program? Cause you can buy a blank key fob and program it yourself if you have both keys.

330SMG

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 ,89 325i and 72 Dodge Charger SE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its not the dealership that requires all the info it is Ford that does. Also the dealership only gets so many key code requests per year.
Curious, where did you hear the "dealers only have so many key code requests per year"
I have a friend that works at parts at BMW, replacing keys is an income stream for the dealership. I doubt it is different at Ford.

Derbystud

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Curious, where did you hear the "dealers only have so many key code requests per year"
I have a friend that works at parts at BMW, replacing keys is an income stream for the dealership. I doubt it is different at Ford.
I'm the service manager at a Ford dealership.

Derbystud

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We can cut all the keys off of originals that we want. But to get the code to cut them if you don't have a key is where the problem is.

Sponsored
OP
OP

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
We can cut all the keys off of originals that we want. But to get the code to cut them if you don't have a key is where the problem is.
My dealer didn’t have the key cutting machine so I went to dealer in a different city on my way south to a tournament. Figured I’ll get it done on my way but it took much longer than just the 10 min to cut a key!

They never programmed as I can do that myself!

Hopefully I never need to do it again!

I ordered the spar me key fob online.

I also got a 4th key that looks like a regular key (with a chip inside) but they’re telling me it cannot be programmed. But I’m not giving up on trying to program it! I’m hoping it can work in the dead key slot inside the console.

Derbystud

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My dealer didn’t have the key cutting machine so I went to dealer in a different city on my way south to a tournament. Figured I’ll get it done on my way but it took much longer than just the 10 min to cut a key!

They never programmed as I can do that myself!

Hopefully I never need to do it again!
Yeah that is a long time to cut it.

330SMG

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 ,89 325i and 72 Dodge Charger SE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm the service manager at a Ford dealership.
That is so strange. But if 1,000 customers lose their keys you could make new keys for them? This dealership was making 400k off of replacing lost/damaged keys a year.

Derbystud

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That is so strange. But if 1,000 customers lose their keys you could make new keys for them? This dealership was making 400k off of replacing lost/damaged keys a year.
We can make keys if we have one to copy. We we don't have one then you have to send Ford all the info to get the code. If you don't give them all the paperwork required then you can only do a limited number.

OP
OP

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Where did you order your spare from?
ebay, $25,

for Ford Edge Ecosport Explorer Ranger F150 F250 F350 Remote Key Fob 164-R8163 | eBay

I programmed it this morning and it works like the other two.

The other key I had cut is a regular transponder key which the seller stated was compatible for frequency but as of yet I have not managed to program it. I was hoping it could be used same as a dead key fob by placing it into the recess and start the bronco but it does not. Good thing it was only $6, but it does unlock the bronco!
Ford Bronco Getting spare key cut = 1.5 hrs 1666639929738

Ford Bronco Getting spare key cut = 1.5 hrs 1666639967831

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No idea how they cut these keys. I cannot imagine it takes that long though. I am glad they don’t just hand one to you.
Sponsored