Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So here's the situation I find myself in:

I'm a day one preorder; I started attempting to reserve as soon as the system went live, and successfully placed an order about 3 hours in. I am first in line at my local dealership.
Because I'm in East Tennessee, I was able to see the Area 51 Badlands Overland in-person last fall. Loved it. My current order is a 4-door Area 51 with the 2.7 Engine and Lux Package.
Here's the issue: I'm a hardcore devotee to Green, and I know I want a white top eventually. I feel pretty confident that I'll want a 2022, likely Green Heritage Edition. However, even if I got the 2021, and went to trade it (yes, I know I'd lose money), by that point, I am guessing the chances of actually getting a 2022 would be nil, given the number of reservations that are already pushed to '22. And, given that both the 2.7 and Lux Package are late availability, It could be that I'm already getting pushed back significantly, despite my early reservation and status as first-in-line at my dealership.

•Do I keep my order as-is, and then wait and hope I can get a 2022 if the color combo I want becomes available? Or, do I have my dealer enter the "99" code that will push me to 2022, at which point I assume I'd be first in line for that model year?

•Does late availability mean NO Broncos will be made w/2.7 and/or Lux at first, or just that those will be severely restricted?

Give me your thoughts!
Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Make a second reservation now. Then if you find out that they are going to have the green you wanted before your first order is manufactured, tell you dealer to change it to code 99 then. Otherwise take delivery, drive it until your second reservation comes up, trade in the first one. Still get it before a lot of dealers have floor stock. Might even be rebates or x-plan by then.

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would do this - make another reservation if possible at a dealership - securing your spot for a 22. Purchase the 21 now, then trade in - I doubt you will lose much value if they are in the high demand that is expected.
That is my plan - I am #4 at my dealer - I plan to buy and look at buying again in 22 when new options come out - if I am not over the moon with my 21. But I do suspect my 21 will be just right.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd put in my order as a 2021...then wait to see what you're delivery could look like in May. That will buy you over two months to see what may be available on a 2022, and if youre 2021 will be delayed. You may find yourself wanting to get a 2021 if it's not delayed. Could always get the cheaper MIC top as a holdover, then purchase a white mod top, and maybe wrap the car. Or, you 99 the order in May.

Last edited:

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Honestly, if you're willing to take a 5k-10k loss (when you factor in transaction costs/tax), why not spend the money to custom paint instead of wrap. Get the EXACT green you want on the 2021, and then wait until Ford has a white mod top for sale....or get a shadow black mod top, which will only delay you slightly, then tack on a nominal fee to get that painted white since the car is going to the paint shop anyway.

Sponsored

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm a day one preorder; I started attempting to reserve as soon as the system went live, and successfully placed an order about 3 hours in. I am first in line at my local dealership.
Because I'm in East Tennessee, I was able to see the Area 51 Badlands Overland in-person last fall. Loved it. My current order is a 4-door Area 51 with the 2.7 Engine and Lux Package.
Here's the issue: I'm a hardcore devotee to Green, and I know I want a white top eventually. I feel pretty confident that I'll want a 2022, likely Green Heritage Edition. However, even if I got the 2021, and went to trade it (yes, I know I'd lose money), by that point, I am guessing the chances of actually getting a 2022 would be nil, given the number of reservations that are already pushed to '22. And, given that both the 2.7 and Lux Package are late availability, It could be that I'm already getting pushed back significantly, despite my early reservation and status as first-in-line at my dealership.

•Do I keep my order as-is, and then wait and hope I can get a 2022 if the color combo I want becomes available? Or, do I have my dealer enter the "99" code that will push me to 2022, at which point I assume I'd be first in line for that model year?

•Does late availability mean NO Broncos will be made w/2.7 and/or Lux at first, or just that those will be severely restricted?

Give me your thoughts!
The answer depends on your situation. If your above 65- get the 2021 because time is more valuable to a 65 year old than a 35 year old. Second - do you need the vehicle - in other words is your present ride reliable and will it carry you safely to next year. If your under 65 and have a reliable ride now - wait and get what you have dreamed of.

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Im hopefully not, but probably going to be a 2022 and green is the one thing that will get me through the waiting period if so. That said, we have no idea what green it will be so maybe the guy above suggesting 2021 w. A 10k paint job is the best answer if you have the $.

Seventyfouronthefloor

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, LUBR, Chrome Yellow, 2016 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was in this position (want a Cyber Orange heritage, if possible) and decided to push my reservation into MY22 by requesting code 99. I live next to Silver Lake Sand Dunes and was told by a Ford executive part-time neighbor in late January (whom I begged for a white top option for '21) that the Heritage Edition may end up being a limited-run trim, aka First Edition 2.0 that will only get made in 2022-23, i.e. before the premium Warthog trim is ready to be reserved/ordered. Upon pressing him further on this, it is my understanding it is going to be a First Edition-clone with white accents/grill/top and a unique interior, with no other major changes, which is why it would come out sooner than the Warthog. I'm not thrilled by this, as I would prefer to get the white top/accents/grill on a Black Diamond.

If it has a broad appeal they may make more years of it, but I am moving from a '21 to a '22 in case it is a limited-run replacement for the First Edition to be replaced by the Warthog. If you have to have it, your only chance may be pushing an early MY21 reservation over to one of the first MY22's (confirmed by my dealer). Because if there are 3500-or-so people like me waiting for a Heritage Edition with their summer 2020 reservations, you might not be able to choose it with a late MY22 reservation, now that you're behind all the Sept. 18 -----> reservations .

Trueblue2296

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands, 2022 F250 Tremor 6.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Give me your thoughts!
the LUX and 2.7 are not late availability. They can delay orders due to commodity constraints. so not the same thing if you are an early enough reservation you will likely get what you want. it's the later ones that might be delayed. none of that is confirmed yet.

OP
OP

Harrisonhud78

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks to all for the responses. A follow up question: Anyone know how late in the game I can have the code 99 added to my order? Is it the March conversion cutoff, or May, or ....?

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks to all for the responses. A follow up question: Anyone know how late in the game I can have the code 99 added to my order? Is it the March conversion cutoff, or May, or ....?
FWIW my dealer says March is the cut-off

BuiltTough

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm sure the answer is all over these threads, so I'm apologizing to the thread organization police (Judge Rufus mainly) ahead of time.

I will place my order and take a 2021 even though in all likelihood I will end up with a 2022 anyway. What happens at that point, if there's a significant 2022 option change or color that I like. Can I modify my order when Ford releases that 2022 info? (assuming to do not order w code 99)

Unrelated question: Other then the option changes, will there really be any re-tooling on the assembly line as some say that the 2022 will be better as they fine tune along the way. Are they really gonna stop production for a period of time to do this for 2022's?

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I'm a second day reservation and was in my dealer's allocation for a '21 but really want the white top so I'm waiting for '22. It really depends if you can wait or want it now and want to resell/trade it later but that's something I didn't want to hassle with.

One of my big considerations was that I was going to be adding allot of late/wait items so even with an early reserve date it probably would have been fall before I received my order. Well, at that point I'd rather wait the couple of months and be at the head of the '22 line and get it the way I wanted. Your call though.

BigBend1

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, 2012 Boss 302
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My concern with waiting for a MY22 is how much is Ford going to increase the MSRP and option packages prices.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I was in this position (want a Cyber Orange heritage, if possible) and decided to push my reservation into MY22 by requesting code 99. I live next to Silver Lake Sand Dunes and was told by a Ford executive part-time neighbor in late January (whom I begged for a white top option for '21) that the Heritage Edition may end up being a limited-run trim, aka First Edition 2.0 that will only get made in 2022-23, i.e. before the premium Warthog trim is ready to be reserved/ordered. Upon pressing him further on this, it is my understanding it is going to be a First Edition-clone with white accents/grill/top and a unique interior, with no other major changes, which is why it would come out sooner than the Warthog. I'm not thrilled by this, as I would prefer to get the white top/accents/grill on a Black Diamond.

If it has a broad appeal they may make more years of it, but I am moving from a '21 to a '22 in case it is a limited-run replacement for the First Edition to be replaced by the Warthog. If you have to have it, your only chance may be pushing an early MY21 reservation over to one of the first MY22's (confirmed by my dealer). Because if there are 3500-or-so people like me waiting for a Heritage Edition with their summer 2020 reservations, you might not be able to choose it with a late MY22 reservation, now that you're behind all the Sept. 18 -----> reservations .
I'm going to be upset if the white top isn't available a la carte for '22, no real interest in the Heritage Edition if they do white accent pieces like the CG concept they had.
Sponsored