Sponsored

Given GVWR update - How long until dealers could get parts from Ford? Potential workarounds

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
But then why did Esteban say wait and get a MY22? Do they plan on raising the GWVR in MY22 (its an arbitrary number, so they dont need to physically change anything), which will allow you to add roof racks. Then they could still stake the claim of it being better than the Jeep in the first year...only? Strange.
Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It's my understanding that the issue with GVWR is not actual safety of the vehicle, its weightclass. Ford wants to win this weight class (the one that the Wrangler is in).

Think of a light heavyweight boxer at the top edge of his weight restriction. If he adds 10 pounds is he somehow unhealthy and going to collapse under his own weight? Or does he simply have to move up to a new weight class, under rules and regulations, and compete against much larger boxers at the top of that class?

Ford wants to avoid that so that they can say "best in class blah blah blah" on a variety of statistics that they could not say it for if they moved up.
Wow, that's a damn good explanation. Thanks!

It seems to me like some marketing genious wants to be able to say that the Bronco is "Best In Class" by having it have the same GVWR as the Wrangler when they could have given it more capability by having a higher GVWR. It's a stupid decision that only makes sense to people who drive commuter cars. They should bump up the GVWR so that the Bronco can carry all of the available options, a goodly amount of camping gear and tow a halfway decent sized trailer. What good is a trail rig that can only carry a half full cooler before it is overweight?
Thats marketing 101, being able to say best in class draws people that know nothing in. If im understanding this all correctly if Bronco goes up a GVWR class then it would technically get compared to like full size SUVs?

Adumb

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Area 51 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Regardless of the reason, if the GVWR is set/certified with the DOT that’s the ACTUAL GVWR.

Exceed it and there are consequences.

I personally don’t think it’s a “class” thing - legally there is no “class.” It’s ALL marketing.

I have a hunch that when the Sasquatch package is applied the vehicle (4door) is so close to GVWR that it’s basically a single occupant scenario.

There is something going on with the weight and Sasquatch and it’s bullsh*t that Ford is hiding it two weeks from order banks opening.

JK
Not at all trying to say you're wrong (although I'm sure we both hope you are), but why does a lack of information lead you to believe that they are hiding something, and so strongly?

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's my understanding that the issue with GVWR is not actual safety of the vehicle, its weightclass. Ford wants to win this weight class (the one that the Wrangler is in).

Think of a light heavyweight boxer at the top edge of his weight restriction. If he adds 10 pounds is he somehow unhealthy and going to collapse under his own weight? Or does he simply have to move up to a new weight class, under rules and regulations, and compete against much larger boxers at the top of that class?

Ford wants to avoid that so that they can say "best in class blah blah blah" on a variety of statistics that they could not say it for if they moved up.
Ford's biggest enemy sometimes is just their marketing dept

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, that's a damn good explanation. Thanks!

Thats marketing 101, being able to say best in class draws people that know nothing in. If im understanding this all correctly if Bronco goes up a GVWR class then it would technically get compared to like full size SUVs?
I don't know why they think it is important, people don't shop that way. There are no full size SUVs that have it's capability so what's the big deal?

Sponsored

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not a Jeep guy so these are just basically questions...
Does Jeep sell their jeeps with 35s or basically the ford version of Sasquatch?

I get Ford is concerned with selling a vehicle close too GVWR but also wanting to stay within a certain weight class to claim “best” in said class.
But if Jeep were selling a Sasquatch version of their Jeep’s my guess is that they too would be butting up or over their said weight class restriction...
I think Ford wanting to be the aftermarket for their bronco vs Jeep buyers buying typically aftermarket for their mods has created this weight issue for Ford...
Just thinking out loud...

Just spillballing, like I said I’m not a Jeep guy..
Correct. Jeep doesn’t sell anything from the factory with over 33’s, and even then that’s just the rubicon. Almost any Jeep you see running around with a hi lift, Rotopax, gear in the back and wheels/lift/tires will be over GVWR. Not saying it’s okay but it’s pretty common.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

To add something on topic for OP: I could see some 4D, non SQ guys coordinating with 4D SQ guys to order a roof rack that they don’t want and swapping at delivery, however this is contingent on the factory not drilling holes in the MIC for the rack, and the customer being able to tell the dealer to hold off on doing it. Doubt guys would want to get into swapping entire tops but that’s just me.

From a parts counter ordering perspective it will depend on how ready Ford is to sell Bronco accessories from your dealer’s parts counter at delivery. Not crossing my fingers on that.

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Correct. Jeep doesn’t sell anything from the factory with over 33’s, and even then that’s just the rubicon. Almost any Jeep you see running around with a hi lift, Rotopax, gear in the back and wheels/lift/tires will be over GVWR. Not saying it’s okay but it’s pretty common.
This is true, BUT, there is nothing that Jeep sells/markets with regards to their vehicle that limits it capabilities (no towing) or can’t be added because of weight concerns (headliner, roof rack, PPF, etc) on/in the Jeep B&P.

The fact that the Ford B&P sees an issue means there IS an issue with weight (specifically on the 4door Sasquatch rigs).

JK

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As mentioned in the video, the way BnP is setup such that it locks you out of getting roof racks...
It would be useful if you linked to the video or the thread where the video is for people that don't keep up with all the discussions here.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is true, BUT, there is nothing that Jeep sells/markets with regards to their vehicle that limits it capabilities (no towing) or can’t be added because of weight concerns (headliner, roof rack, PPF, etc) on/in the Jeep B&P.

The fact that the Ford B&P sees an issue means there IS an issue with weight (specifically on the 4door Sasquatch rigs).

JK
Agreed, Ford decided to try and grab dollars heading for the aftermarket and realized why Jeep hasn’t really been doing that all along.

Sponsored

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What exactly did the video say about GVWR? Did it give a number? That's probably been one of my bigger concerns.

Am I going to be able to fit my family and all of our gear in it without exceeding the GVWR?
It is pretty crazy. If a roof rack puts the vehicle over GVWR, certainly even just the presence of a driver does as well?

Plus, it's possible to add the headliner, roof rack, winch, and rooftop tent on a 2-door Badlands with the Sasquatch package, but you can't add even just the headliner on a 2-door Black Diamond with Sasquatch an no roof rack, winch, or tent.

The GVWR explanation doesn't make sense with how the B&P works today.

corey07

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But then why did Esteban say wait and get a MY22? Do they plan on raising the GWVR in MY22 (its an arbitrary number, so they dont need to physically change anything), which will allow you to add roof racks. Then they could still stake the claim of it being better than the Jeep in the first year...only? Strange.
Thanks for starting this thread. Maybe it is beating a dead horse but this is exactly the question I had last night.
I am totally not here to flame poor Esteban (the messenger) or anybody else really. I just like good, respectful discussion. I will be doing plenty of AM mods to my Bronc. If MY22 makes a borderline MY21 "legally" better suited for bolt on it is something to consider for me. Just curious as to the change.

@Adumb thank you for a really good explanation of GVWR.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't know why they think it is important, people don't shop that way. There are no full size SUVs that have it's capability so what's the big deal?
True people probably don't shop that way, but ford advertises that way.

Only reason F series is best selling vehicle for 40+ years is become gm breaks it into the Silverado and Sierra. Its a technicality based on name plate but they can advertise it because its technically true. Same reason the big three add 10 foot pounds of torque to their heavy duty diesel so they can say best in class torque. Or ranger and gladiator are technically in the same class...I see the ad all the time that ranger has better gas payload towing and fuel economy and they can say it because its true but the gladiator is probably way more capable off road..

Automakes love to say they have the best of something but it has to apply to a class or they can't say it
Sponsored