Sponsored

Given the issues with the MIC TOP (Why can’t we choose soft top for two door? What am I missing??

Gpscharron

Badlands
First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FORD Bronco, RV- Ford E450 (Thor Vegas 24.1)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am NOT trying to start a complaint tread here. I just want to know what the logic is in regards to why we have to depend on the MIC TOPS?

I am sure there is a good reason and I missed it.. I just wish I had the option to pick a soft top now given the issues with MIC top..

Does anyone know the real story behind why we have to depend on MIC top? Options for faster deliver makes perfect sense to me.

What am I missing? Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mdsuits

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 f350, 68 bronco 89 samurai
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah I don’t get why it wasn’t a option from the get go...

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For whatever reason, it looks like the 2DR was not designed for a factory soft top. The 4DR has removable panels in the back for attaching the factory soft-top. The 2DR does not. The aftermarket Bestop is more of a sealable bimini top than a factory soft-top replacement. I hope Ford can fix this in a future model year. The 2DR needs a factory soft-top.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For whatever reason, it looks like the 2DR was not designed for a factory soft top. The 4DR has removable panels in the back for attaching the factory soft-top. The 2DR does not. The aftermarket Bestop is more of a sealable bimini top than a factory soft-top replacement. I hope Ford can fix this in a future model year. The 2DR needs a factory soft-top.
Ford has their hands full with 2 tops, no way they can manage anything else right now.

Sponsored

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope that Bestop ends up offering an option on a real soft top, one that folds down instead of just flips back. I have written to them a couple of times with the request, but haven't heard any response so far in the past couple of months. Typically, Bestop is pretty good at identifying market demands and responding with product. If anyone can solve the potential 2 door fold-down issue, that is who it will be. If it's something that you would like to see, make sure to let them know. It doesn't help the current 2 door MIC problem, but it might help it to be offered in the near future.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I have no measurements, it eyeballs since day one (to me anyway, but there are plenty who either think it is possible, or more likely didn't think at all, based on the quantity of complaining about wanting a 2-door soft top) that the 2-door doesn't have the length to mount a folding roof that will clear the roll bar, not without getting into the rear seats area for the pivot point. All they can do is a lift off Bimini with some zip in windows. Explains why you never see a 2-door folded down. Maybe you could remove it, roll it up, and cram it in the back somehow, but I just don't see it having space to store a removable roof in a two door or being physically able to have a folding roof and clearing the roll bar. Never have, my assumption is that is why all 2-doors are hard tops. Moving the roll bar forward or lowering the height of the top, bar, and windshield might make it doable, but they are not going to do that.

Last edited:

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I actually saw an older 2 door Wrangler today with a fully folded down soft top, sorry, could not tell you what year/model.
That soft top looked like a cheap beach umbrella with 3 flimsy looking support arms for when it's closed. Didn't seem to be much more than a solid bimini top with added ribs. Looked great, but that top would not be much more than a thin sunshade and is probably not much fun on the freeway.

I think it's correct that there's just no good way to fold it back and get it over the roll bar bump to fold down. It might be possible (we flew to the moon after all), but might be too expensive/complicated to build.

I hope someone can figure it out, but if Bestop has not so far, as good as they are, I'm skeptical.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't disagree at all with your eyeball measurements, and I agree the pivot would have to be located somewhat adjacent to the rear seat. The space between the rear of the roll bar and the back of the vehicle appears to be minimal. I may be giving Ford too much credit, but I would find it hard to believe that the 2 door was designed without ever taking a folding soft top into mind. I think it is something that we will be seeing in the future, either through Ford or through the aftermarket. That said, I could be very wrong and badly misjudged Ford. They didn't miss much with the Bronco, and I would hate if this is a glaring oversight.

I think we are seeing only one of Bestop's products for the 2 door, and I doubt that it ends up being the best one they offer. Keeping my fingers crossed anyway...
Sponsored