AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco® The Sasquatch™ 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco Glove box light installed - DIY & photos 1673922463530

I've wanted to install a lamp in the glove box of my Bronco since the day I drove it off a dealer's lot. I don't know why such a simple convenience is not part of the Lux package.

I started to browse the web looking for a lamp that would perfectly fit in the area surrounding the glove box, wouldn't require too much trimming, and something that would look as if Ford hadn't cheap out and had installed it at the factory.

Ford Bronco Glove box light installed - DIY & photos 1673922499994

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any glove box light made for Ford, Lincoln, or Mecury models that would work for the Bronco. In my case, the perfect solution came from Hyundai. If any Blue Oval purists are reading this thread, I beg your pardon.

I looked for a lamp that had an external swich because it would be easier to find a good spot for two smaller parts that for a larger all-in-one unit. The Hyundai lamp I used is often sold as a kit: a lamp, switch, and wire harness. Here are the numbers of all these parts: 92620-33000, 93510-21000, 91180-2D900. The kit cost me $19+tax.

Ford Bronco Glove box light installed - DIY & photos 1673922525400

The lamp fits perfectly in the upper lip of the housing that surrounds the glove box.

Ford Bronco Glove box light installed - DIY & photos 1673922557817

The best spot for the switch is right next to the left latch hole. I cut out the rectangular holes using a small hand drill and Tamiya hand saw.

Ford Bronco Glove box light installed - DIY & photos 1673922685376

Ford Bronco Glove box light installed - DIY & photos 1673922699490

Before cutting this holes in the Bronco, I test fitted the lamp and switch in a piece of plastic of the same thickness to make sure they wouldn't wiggle or fall out. After I was happy with the size of the cut outs, I used this plastic piece as a stencil and marked the cut line with a white thin tip marker.

Ford Bronco Glove box light installed - DIY & photos 1673922582718

I had to squeeze myself in between the passenger seat and the dashboard to be able to cut the hole for the lamp. I'm glad the plastic is pretty soft, so it didn't take me much time to complete this task. If I were a bigger guy, I would have needed to unbolt the passenger seat.

Ford Bronco Glove box light installed - DIY & photos 1673922599089

OCD didn't allow me to cut the brand new Hyundai wire harness, so I also purchased a used female electrical connector of the same Korean brand. There aren't any junk yards around the area I live in, so eBay helped me out once again. I don't know the part number, but I'm sure it was used by Hyundai and Kia over many years for iterior lighting.

Ford Bronco Glove box light installed - DIY & photos 1673922654372

I soldered 20 AWG wires to this connector and routed them to the Ford connector hiding behind the passenger's A-pillar plastic trim. The two wires I spliced feed power to the lamps in the sun visors.

I installed the lamp in the glove box while retroffiting the upfitter switches and adding a roof light bar. This video provides excellent instructions on how to disassamble the interior and get to the electrical connector on the A-pillar.

I'm super happy with the result. Now I can see the stuff lying in the glove box any time of the day. I hope this write up helps you bring more light into your Bronco.

Ford Bronco Glove box light installed - DIY & photos 1673922736615
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rat

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr Bronco Wildtrak, 22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well done!

OP
OP
2door

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well done!
Thanks!

Ford Bronco Glove box light installed - DIY & photos 1673924176257

I forgot to mention – I had swapped the bulb to LED W5W. The Hyundai lamp came with an incandescent one.

Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

I've wanted to install a lamp in the glove box of my Bronco since the day I drove it off a dealer's lot. I don't know why such a simple convenience is not part of the Lux package.

I started to browse the web looking for a lamp that would perfectly fit in the area surrounding the glove box, wouldn't require too much trimming, and something that would look as if Ford hadn't cheap out and had installed it at the factory.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any glove box light made for Ford, Lincoln, or Mecury models that would work for the Bronco. In my case, the perfect solution came from Hyundai. If any Blue Oval purists are reading this thread, I beg your pardon.

I looked for a lamp that had an external swich because it would be easier to find a good spot for two smaller parts that for a larger all-in-one unit. The Hyundai lamp I used is often sold as a kit: a lamp, switch, and wire harness. Here are the numbers of all these parts: 92620-33000, 93510-21000, 91180-2D900. The kit cost me $19+tax.

The lamp fits perfectly in the upper lip of the housing that surrounds the glove box.

The best spot for the switch is right next to the left latch hole. I cut out the rectangular holes using a small hand drill and Tamiya hand saw.

Before cutting this holes in the Bronco, I test fitted the lamp and switch in a piece of plastic of the same thickness to make sure they wouldn't wiggle or fall out. After I was happy with the size of the cut outs, I used this plastic piece as a stencil and marked the cut line with a white thin tip marker.

I had to squeeze myself in between the passenger seat and the dashboard to be able to cut the hole for the lamp. I'm glad the plastic is pretty soft, so it didn't take me much time to complete this task. If I were a bigger guy, I would need to unbolt the passenger seat.

OCD didn't allow me to cut the brand new Hyundai wire harness, so I also purchased a used female electrical connector of the same Korean brand. There aren't any junk yards around the area I live in, so eBay helped me out once again. I don't know the part number, but I'm sure it was used by Hyundai and Kia over many years for iterior lighting.

I soldered 20 AWG wires to this connector and routed them to the Ford connector hiding behind the passenger's A-pillar plastic trim. The two wires I spliced feed power to the lamps in the sun visors.

I installed the lamp in the glove box while retroffiting the upfitter switches and adding a roof light bar. This video provides excellent instructions on how to disassamble the interior and get to the electrical connector on the A-pillar.

I'm super happy with the result. Now I can see the stuff lying in the glove box any time of the day. I hope this write up helps you bring more light into your Bronco.

Apologies for any grammar or spelling mistakes – English is not my first language.
Very nicely done.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had to squeeze myself in between the passenger seat and the dashboard to be able to cut the hole for the lamp. I'm glad the plastic is pretty soft, so it didn't take me much time to complete this task. If I were a bigger guy, I would have needed to unbolt the passenger seat.

Apologies for any grammar or spelling mistakes – English is not my first language.
Nice!!! I have a similar light from day one. Still not installed.... Moved on to other upgrades bcuz my tester gave up and finding a hot lead was too much work! LOL

I was planning to mount it to the glove box itself on the back panel. Your spot looks good.

OP
OP
2door

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nice!!! I have a similar light from day one. Still not installed.... Moved on to other upgrades bcuz my tester gave up and finding a hot lead was too much work! LOL

I was planning to mount it to the glove box itself on the back panel. Your spot looks good.
I was thinking about placing the lamp on the back wall of the glovebox too, but didn't like that idea much because the wires behind it would bend and unbend every time you open and close the glovebox.

Cobrafang

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I love it. Very clean install. Thank you so much for sharing. It is now on my list.

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Perfection!

clap.gif

Sponsored

Darrell

Badlands
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great idea and write-up, I think I will follow your lead on this and try to install it myself.

OP
OP
2door

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Great idea and write-up, I think I will follow your lead on this and try to install it myself.
Good luck with your project! I look forward to seeing photos of another illuminated glovebox.💡

It's a pretty easy task. The hardest part is to make a cut out for the lamp due to its location. I suggest using a masking tape to protect the plastic panel from scratches.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, let me tell you something about using Hyundai parts!!

The self dimming/homelink rearview mirror with integrated camera monitor and compass I installed on my Wrangler came from a Tucson option. It works flawlessly and was less than $200 at the time.

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nice job, I might have to think about doing this, the price is right.

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Fantastic work - is it possible to show more images of the spliced wires and locations of those?
Sponsored