First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's why tesla should be offering add on battery source that can connect to your frunk and trunk. So you can get more distance otherwise bring some solar panels and camp out for a few days while it charges ?
Maybe Tesla can work on that after they figure out how to make a bumper that doesn't fall off if you hit a puddle. Baby steps haha
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ajusaf

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Maybe Tesla can work on that after they figure out how to make a bumper that doesn't fall off if you hit a puddle. Baby steps haha
Rare things will happen but it was the plastic part lol. Cyber truck I'm waiting to see. I did reserve it

A_Locke

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius, 1966 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am a big fan of electric vehicles and I would 100% be interested in an electric bronco.

I think that range anxiety is often overstated (especially for commuter cars) but I am going to be realistic in saying that heavy duty towing and off roading do pose challenges with Electric Vehicles. If you watch videos of F-150's and Ranger's towing, fuel economy can often be cut in half. Add that to cold weather for BEV's and you could be seeing a 50-75% drop which is really tough on a 300 range vehicle. Same goes for off-roading. Heavy sand, rock crawling, mud can really put a dent in fuel economy.

While chargers are becoming more ubiquitous in the city, they are still fairly rare in rural areas where off-roading primarily takes place. Rivian is installing chargers at off road areas and national parks, but I'm unsure if all OEM's can use them.

Lastly, a 400 mile range Hummer is going to have a big battery and will take a longgggg time to charge, even with a DC fast charge. Stopping every 100-200 miles to charge when towing or off road is a huge sacrifice not all will make.

OP
OP
Ajusaf

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am a big fan of electric vehicles and I would 100% be interested in an electric bronco.

I think that range anxiety is often overstated (especially for commuter cars) but I am going to be realistic in saying that heavy duty towing and off roading do pose challenges with Electric Vehicles. If you watch videos of F-150's and Ranger's towing, fuel economy can often be cut in half. Add that to cold weather for BEV's and you could be seeing a 50-75% drop which is really tough on a 300 range vehicle. Same goes for off-roading. Heavy sand, rock crawling, mud can really put a dent in fuel economy.

While chargers are becoming more ubiquitous in the city, they are still fairly rare in rural areas where off-roading primarily takes place. Rivian is installing chargers at off road areas and national parks, but I'm unsure if all OEM's can use them.

Lastly, a 400 mile range Hummer is going to have a big battery and will take a longgggg time to charge, even with a DC fast charge. Stopping every 100-200 miles to charge when towing or off road is a huge sacrifice not all will make.
The claim for the 2021 F150 is 700 miles with eco post and electric motor.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Buddy of mine just got a 2020 4Runner TRD Pro in army green. It’s pretty BA. it has the bash plates and rock sliders, but I’m not sure on the suspension.
I think the new trd pros have fox shocks. Also comes with rear locker. They don’t have a front locker option. I have had my 4Runner for 6 years and I still really enjoy driving it. If it wasn’t for the Bronco coming out, I would keep it. I would consider the next gen 4Runner, but I doubt it will be as cool as this bronco. Hopefully it is. It would be cool to have a Ford, Jeep, and Toyota battling it out for the best adventure vehicles.

I have no hope for GM to make anything competitive, besides Jeep.

Sponsored

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would add Toyota to that list. The 4Runner is great but its now a dinosaur in terms of tech and features.
Probably not as much as you would think. Toyota has more of a cult following. I think you will see way more Jeep decent then Toyota. You're right on the dinosaur part for sure.

Buddy of mine just got a 2020 4Runner TRD Pro in army green. It’s pretty BA. it has the bash plates and rock sliders, but I’m not sure on the suspension.
It has Fox Suspension and a added front Al skid plate. They do not come from Toyota with rock sliders unless he added them on aftermarket.

I think the new trd pros have fox shocks. Also comes with rear locker. They don’t have a front locker option. I have had my 4Runner for 6 years and I still really enjoy driving it. If it wasn’t for the Bronco coming out, I would keep it. I would consider the next gen 4Runner, but I doubt it will be as cool as this bronco. Hopefully it is. It would be cool to have a Ford, Jeep, and Toyota battling it out for the best adventure vehicles.

I have no hope for GM to make anything competitive, besides Jeep.
That's pretty much my exact situation as well. I love my 4Runner but the Bronco is lights years ahead if it in tech and features. I have little hope the 6th gen will be competitive with the Jeep or Bronco. That's just not Toyota's business model.

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It has Fox Suspension and a added front Al skid plate. They do not come from Toyota with rock sliders unless he added them on aftermarket.
it is very possible he was talking about getting rock sliders and I just remembered it incorrectly. He also talked about getting a ceramic coat added to his paint job to which i found interesting. had never heard of that before.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love love love electric. I bought a cheap electric car used just to try it out and love it. Also have an electric mtn bike I built that is so fun. I test rode Zero bikes and the new Harley Livewire and loved them both.

If your sphere of movement within the day is within the battery range It makes perfect sense. I reset my tripmeter everyday for a couple weeks on my ICE car before I bought my electric car just to see how much I drive everyday.. I had no idea. Turns out 90% of days are <50 miles for me.

It is so cool to wake up everyday with a full tank and pretty much zero maintenance but.. the biggest addiction is instant torque with no shifts. Just quiet uninterrupted seamless power..

Electric makes a lot of sense for 4x4 applications as well I think.. except the elephant in the room.. range. The beauty of a 4x4 is exploring wherever wanderlust takes you. Range anxiety takes the fun out of adventure. Everything else about electric would be sweet for off-road.

So until range is 1,200 miles.. A plug in with range extender, like the BMW i3 would be perfect.

The gives the advantages of a full electric drivetrain that can be plugged in and run electric for weekdays around town and all the <50 miles/day stuff. But on the weekend put gas in the range extender ICE and go explore to hearts content. I see so much more wildlife on my electric mtn bike than I did on my dirtbikes because its so quiet. Electric range of a 4x4 could be saved for those occasions. The Volt can do it currently..

So yeah I think an all electric Hummer pickup is still going to be a tough sell for a few years to general public.. but if Chevy put the Volt drivetrain in a 4x4 configuration in an H3 revival with removal top and doors.. that could be seriously cool.
Electric vehicles have no soul. And their not saving the planet. It's a crock! 90% of electrical power is generated by Diesel Generators. Just because your not emitting exhaust from the vehicle, doesn't mean that hundreds of miles away, Diesel Generators are emitting exhaust into the atmosphere. How is that saving the planet? What about the elements, minerals and metals that are mined and stripped from the earth to make the necessary batteries? A significant amount of these elements are not recyclable. Not to mention the terrible working condition, and child labor used to mine these elements. The internal combustion engine has made huge improvements in reducing emissions and increasing efficiency. The whole push to electric vehicles is surprising to me. Maybe some day electric vehicles will be a great thing? But their really not a great thing right now.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@TN Wheeler thanks for reading my post and having the common sense to understand the sham that is electric vehicles today. Yeah, some of them excellerate pretty quick, but the day an electric car beats a Top Fuel Dragster down a 1000' strip... Maybe then I'll take notice. ?
Sponsored