GM to build Chevy Colorado ZR2-based Infantry Squad Vehicles for U.S. Army

JAGSarge

Well-Known Member
First Name
'Blu'
Joined
Mar 3, 2016
Threads
30
Messages
264
Reaction score
383
Location
TEXAS!
Vehicle(s)
Former Broncos - 76, 93, 95 (and a couple parts rigs)
Vehicle Showcase
3
GM may have beat us to the Warthog :oops: These are going to get A B U S E D! ! ! 😝 Obviously these aren't intended for the average Joe, more than likely they'll be for Special Forces, Rangers, etc. (IMHO) BTW, looks like IFS 🤫 Special Forces cats had a compound on my FOB in Afghanistan and we'd never see them unless they were familiarizing (aka. playing) on their 4-wheelers in the rock quarry on post. (y) Army should have held out for the Bronco :cool:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/gm-army-chevy-colorado-zr2-infantry-squad-vehicle
By Gary Gastelu | Fox News

The Chevrolet Colorado is reporting for duty.

isv1.jpg


U.S. Army has awarded GM Defense LLC, $214.3M production contract to build, field, and sustain the Army’s new Infantry Squad Vehicle (ISV). GM Defense’s solution to the Army’s next-generation transportation needs is based off the award-winning 2020 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 midsize truck architecture and leverages 70 percent commercial-off-the-shelf parts.

GM Defense, a General Motors division launched in 2017, has won a $214.3 million contract from the U.S. Army to build Infantry Squad Vehicles based on the high-performance Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 pickup.

isv2-1.jpg



The troop-toting truck features seating for nine and a protective roll cage that has mounts for gear and attachment points where it can be strapped to a UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter for rapid deployment, but is low enough so that the vehicle loaded into a CH-47 Chinook.


isv3.jpg


The ISV uses 90 percent off-the-shelf parts, including the Colorado’s 186 hp 2.8-liter turbodiesel four-cylinder and six-speed automatic transmission. It also carries over the consumer model’s precision-tuned Multimatic DSSV spool-valve dampers, which allow it to drive and jump over rough terrain at high speeds.

isv2.jpg



The project is a collaboration with Ricardo Defense that beat out submissions from Oshkosh/Flyer Defense and SAIC/Polaris for the contract. According to a GM Defense spokeswoman, the contract price covers the purchase of up to 1,070 trucks, with the first 649 of them confirmed, while additional allocations could expand the program to 2,065 vehicles



Advertisement


 

JimmyDean

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2019
Threads
10
Messages
1,274
Reaction score
2,550
Location
Louisiana
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas

Timsvtgen1

Well-Known Member
First Name
Tim
Joined
Jan 13, 2020
Threads
14
Messages
225
Reaction score
504
Location
PA
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 Tremor, 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis
W
T
F

Seriously, how the hell. It's not like he's trying to tow an excavator.
There is a story behind this.. It seems to be an issue with pulling a trailer while overlanding... Gladiators have a similar issue, seemingly.
 

JimmyDean

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2019
Threads
10
Messages
1,274
Reaction score
2,550
Location
Louisiana
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
There is a story behind this.. It seems to be an issue with pulling a trailer while overlanding... Gladiators have a similar issue, seemingly.
I would assume it has to be the tongue weight, and when coming over a bump/angle that increases it, it makes a lever with rear axle as the fulcrum, but the frame isn't strong enough to support the weight of the front end coming off the ground like that.

which is piss poor design.
 

TN Wheeler

Member
First Name
roy
Joined
Jun 23, 2020
Threads
0
Messages
8
Reaction score
7
Location
tennessee, USA
Vehicle(s)
Ford f150, Ford f150, Toyota Tacoma
GM may have beat us to the Warthog :oops: These are going to get A B U S E D! ! ! 😝 Obviously these aren't intended for the average Joe, more than likely they'll be for Special Forces, Rangers, etc. (IMHO) BTW, looks like IFS 🤫 Special Forces cats had a compound on my FOB in Afghanistan and we'd never see them unless they were familiarizing (aka. playing) on their 4-wheelers in the rock quarry on post. (y) Army should have held out for the Bronco :cool:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/gm-army-chevy-colorado-zr2-infantry-squad-vehicle
By Gary Gastelu | Fox News

The Chevrolet Colorado is reporting for duty.

isv1.jpg


U.S. Army has awarded GM Defense LLC, $214.3M production contract to build, field, and sustain the Army’s new Infantry Squad Vehicle (ISV). GM Defense’s solution to the Army’s next-generation transportation needs is based off the award-winning 2020 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 midsize truck architecture and leverages 70 percent commercial-off-the-shelf parts.

GM Defense, a General Motors division launched in 2017, has won a $214.3 million contract from the U.S. Army to build Infantry Squad Vehicles based on the high-performance Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 pickup.

isv2-1.jpg



The troop-toting truck features seating for nine and a protective roll cage that has mounts for gear and attachment points where it can be strapped to a UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter for rapid deployment, but is low enough so that the vehicle loaded into a CH-47 Chinook.


isv3.jpg


The ISV uses 90 percent off-the-shelf parts, including the Colorado’s 186 hp 2.8-liter turbodiesel four-cylinder and six-speed automatic transmission. It also carries over the consumer model’s precision-tuned Multimatic DSSV spool-valve dampers, which allow it to drive and jump over rough terrain at high speeds.

isv2.jpg



The project is a collaboration with Ricardo Defense that beat out submissions from Oshkosh/Flyer Defense and SAIC/Polaris for the contract. According to a GM Defense spokeswoman, the contract price covers the purchase of up to 1,070 trucks, with the first 649 of them confirmed, while additional allocations could expand the program to 2,065 vehicles
""UP to 1,070 trucks", what does that mean? They have a firm order at 649 trucks, and can negotiate for up to 1070 total at that price, but if the Army makes one request for a change-you can bet they cost will be in the 1000's /truck. The cost per ride is ridiculous!! I am 100% with buying American-but I've never been behind getting ripped off. AT 90% off the shelf parts-do the math, what are the other 10% costing??? Suddenly a $1,000 toilet seat doesn't seem over priced.
 

JimmyDean

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2019
Threads
10
Messages
1,274
Reaction score
2,550
Location
Louisiana
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
""UP to 1,070 trucks", what does that mean? They have a firm order at 649 trucks, and can negotiate for up to 1070 total at that price, but if the Army makes one request for a change-you can bet they cost will be in the 1000's /truck. The cost per ride is ridiculous!! I am 100% with buying American-but I've never been behind getting ripped off. AT 90% off the shelf parts-do the math, what are the other 10% costing??? Suddenly a $1,000 toilet seat doesn't seem over priced.
200g's for a 90% ZR2, max costs 55k. so that is 145k for 10% of a truck, which looks to be mostly roll bar and some seats.

W
T
F.
 

CJay

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chad
Joined
Jan 28, 2020
Threads
1
Messages
178
Reaction score
514
Location
WI
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
I'm sorry, but this side facing rear seat has got to be a sh!t ride when this thing lands!
And that's assuming the frame doesn't buckle.
isv2-1.jpg
 



The Ford Bronco Will Be Revealed In...

Similar threads
















Top