First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What GMRS frequency do you use? I am interested in learning what GMRS frequencies are being used the most and also in what areas. I know CH 16 is used for general 4X4 offroad. But, for instance in MOAB is there a frequency that locals use the most? In Death Valley is there a preferred frequency? The Alpine Loop area?

We travel by ourselves and would like to be able to call if there is a problem. So, what you and 2 others use may not be so helpful, but what your Lake City Colorado Club uses would be helpful. If you have a local group where is it and what Frequency do you use on GMRS?
Sponsored

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've used 19 as a general simplex calling frequency, however if you're going offroading somewhere or just generally spending a lot of time in a location, it's very much worth it to look up the local repeater freqs and tones. You'll reach a lot farther and (at least around here) there are waaaaaaay more people monitoring and talking on the repeaters than on the simplex frequencies.

Edit to add: A lot of these repeaters are free to use but not necessarily open to the public, if that makes sense. For example in our state, Texas GMRS Network maintains a directory of where these are, coverage estimates, what the PL tones are, etc. Free to join the website to see the list, you just have to prove you have a GMRS license and make a login.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Happy

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That is a very good tip! Thank you.

I will check out the Texas net.

OP
OP
Happy

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Using the example of places listed above, GMRS repeaters are extremely limited to just a few locations. Hopefully there will be more as the GMRS radio service grows in popularity. For the time being, ham radios will have a much higher likelyhood of hitting a repeater in many more 4x4 trail areas.

An example is Colorado's Alpine Loop area. GMRS repeaters available in Lake City, Silverton and Durango areas. 2 meter and or 70 cm ham repeaters are available in Creede (Bristol Head between Lake city and Creede), Silverton, Lake City, Ouray, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Animas (Engineer Pass), with some of these having multiple locations on different mountains. This way more than one valley or mountain is covered.

Thankfully we have choices and can use either radio service if we are so inclined.
Sponsored

Last edited: