First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is not meant to be a how to, best approach, or even a good solution. This is just what I did. I’ve been taking info from the forum for over a year, so I try to contribute when I have something others might find interesting.

What I bought and where: (not affiliate links or anything)

I am returning the midland antenna, it is too short out of the box, I did NOT cut it. I am unable to tune below 2.0:1 SWR. Extending it to max gives 2.0, sliding to shortest without cutting gives me a 2.2:1. I ordered a Browning off Amazon just in case it takes weeks to return/replace the midland, it will be here on Tuesday.

I connected directly to the battery for power, I want it to work with ACC off and it doesn’t make sense to waste a switch on a radio. Wiring and antenna cable were ran through the grommet near the accessory wiring on the driver side.

Before I removed the antenna to ship back I tested talking to a pair of 10+ year old FRS walkie talkies I keep in my recovery bag. Radio sounded good during the brief test, from the garage to the kitchen. Once I get a better antenna solution I will report more test results.

OK onto the pics:
Ford Bronco GMRS Installed in 2021 Bronco Base 20210918_152929

Ford Bronco GMRS Installed in 2021 Bronco Base 20210918_152631

Customized radio bracket
Ford Bronco GMRS Installed in 2021 Bronco Base 20210918_122645

Antenna Mount
Ford Bronco GMRS Installed in 2021 Bronco Base 20210918_153308

Ford Bronco GMRS Installed in 2021 Bronco Base 20210918_152723
Sponsored

Last edited:

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting! This is a problem I’ve been chewing on in my head - where to mount a radio that’s not in my way.

I was debating building something (I’m a woodworker) like the ‘bring your own device rail’ to dash mount a radio, but I really like this implantation as well.

OP
OP
JKommuter

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Interesting! This is a problem I’ve been chewing on in my head - where to mount a radio that’s not in my way.

I was debating building something (I’m a woodworker) like the ‘bring your own device rail’ to dash mount a radio, but I really like this implantation as well.
I was originally planning on putting it on the side of the console, removing the "Accessory ready" panel. I found that it blocked the seat from sliding fully forward. That is a big deal in a 2 door. I spent several hours staring and "engineering" this solution. Its out of the way, I can hear it, and the seat moves fully forward. This would only work with a small radio. A larger 50w might not fit here.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

This is not meant to be a how to, best approach, or even a good solution. This is just what I did. I’ve been taking info from the forum for over a year, so I try to contribute when I have something others might find interesting.

I am returning the midland antenna, it is too short out of the box, I did NOT cut it. I am unable to tune below 2.0:1 SWR. Extending it to max gives 2.0, sliding to shortest without cutting gives me a 2.2:1. I ordered a Browning off Amazon just in case it takes weeks to return/replace the midland, it will be here on Tuesday.

I connected directly to the battery for power, I want it to work with ACC off and it doesn’t make sense to waste a switch on a radio. Wiring and antenna cable were ran through the grommet near the accessory wiring on the driver side.

Before I removed the antenna to ship back I tested talking to a pair of 10+ year old FRS walkie talkies I keep in my recovery bag. Radio sounded good during the brief test, from the garage to the kitchen. Once I get a better antenna solution I will report more test results.

OK onto the pics:

Customized radio bracket

Nice use of that accessory bolt!

Assuming you have friends and family that use GMRS and FRS. Everyone I go out with uses VHF, and VHF at the races. Nice location for a VHF radio also.

OP
OP
JKommuter

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Actually friends and family have FRS, but the people I run trails with still have CB's. I'm pushing them to GMRS. I bought a GMRS handheld I can loan out if needed. I think they will switch over once I do.

Sponsored

CodaMojo

Wildtrak
First Name
Coda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG Wildtrack, 2014 Ford Escape, 2010 350z
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OK onto the pics:

Customized radio bracket

Antenna Mount

What’s the range with radio? Thoughts of radio vs Sat phone?

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was originally planning on putting it on the side of the console, removing the "Accessory ready" panel. I found that it blocked the seat from sliding fully forward. That is a big deal in a 2 door. I spent several hours staring and "engineering" this solution. Its out of the way, I can hear it, and the seat moves fully forward. This would only work with a small radio. A larger 50w might not fit here.
Looks good! I plan on removing that handle when i get mine too.

OP
OP
JKommuter

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
What’s the range with radio? Thoughts of radio vs Sat phone?
This is my first GMSR so all I can do is parrot what I've read and heard on some YouTube videos. I would expect 0ver 10 miles for the radio range. As far as radio vs Sat Phone I see them as complimentary. Sat phone for emergencies or keeping in touch with family while on the trail. Radio for vehicle to vehicle coms on the trail or vehicle to handheld while in camp.

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I hope this doesn’t take you into what you don’t what to discuss but what led you to that radio vs the midland with the controls on the handset? And is that the midland antenna in the pics? If yes I has read some great reviews on it so bummed it is not working.
Thank you for your sharing!

I too am new to gmrs as I have cb’s in my eb’s but we typically end up talking on the handheld frs radios.

OP
OP
JKommuter

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hope this doesn’t take you into what you don’t what to discuss but what led you to that radio vs the midland with the controls on the handset? And is that the midland antenna in the pics? If yes I has read some great reviews on it so bummed it is not working.
Thank you for your sharing!

I too am new to gmrs as I have cb’s in my eb’s but we typically end up talking on the handheld frs radios.
I selected that radio based on good reviews for other models the manufacturer makes. I like the ability to use the mic controls if I want, but I like the controls on the radio too. I read the good reviews on the antenna too. Look it up on Amazon and order the reviews by date. Many others have the same issue as me on that antenna recently. Something is up at the factory. I wanted it to work, black, same height as the windshield, spring base, perfect.

Sponsored

CodaMojo

Wildtrak
First Name
Coda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG Wildtrack, 2014 Ford Escape, 2010 350z
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is my first GMSR so all I can do is parrot what I've read and heard on some YouTube videos. I would expect 0ver 10 miles for the radio range. As far as radio vs Sat Phone I see them as complimentary. Sat phone for emergencies or keeping in touch with family while on the trail. Radio for vehicle to vehicle coms on the trail or vehicle to handheld while in camp.
Ahhh lol I don’t know why I only thought of emergencies 🤦‍♂️ i have two handhelds, but I see benefits of wired in for group coms

OP
OP
JKommuter

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just a quick update. I received the new antenna I ordered.
I was able to tune it to 1.2:1 SWR. In a quick test with the mobile and my Baofeng UV-9G handheld, I was able to talk 2.5 miles across suburbia before my wife decided testing was complete. :) Hopefully I will do some more testing this weekend.
Ford Bronco GMRS Installed in 2021 Bronco Base 20210923_072731

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just a quick update. I received the new antenna I ordered.
I was able to tune it to 1.2:1 SWR. In a quick test with the mobile and my Baofeng UV-9G handheld, I was able to talk 2.5 miles across suburbia before my wife decided testing was complete. :) Hopefully I will do some more testing this weekend.
Ford Bronco GMRS Installed in 2021 Bronco Base 20210923_072731
I'm thinking of doing a simialar setup using a Midland radio. My question is where did you route the antenna wire through the firewall? I'm going to mount in the same location. nice work and thanks.

OP
OP
JKommuter

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm thinking of doing a simialar setup using a Midland radio. My question is where did you route the antenna wire through the firewall? I'm going to mount in the same location. nice work and thanks.
There's a rubber grommet on the driver's side near the factory upfitter switch wiring. Can't miss it under the hood on the driver's side.
Sponsored