Sponsored

GMRS Installed in 2021 Bronco Base

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was able to talk 2.5 miles across suburbia before my wife decided testing was complete. :)
Yep, they usually say when enough is enough. :p Thanks for posting.
Sponsored

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's a rubber grommet on the driver's side near the factory upfitter switch wiring. Can't miss it under the hood on the driver's side.
After watching his review, I think i'm going with the Wouxun KG-XS20G as well.

OP
OP
JKommuter

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
After watching his review, I think i'm going with the Wouxun KG-XS20G as well.
I subscribed to his channel, I think he is funny, and provides good info without the "sad ham" arrogance. As far as the radio goes, it works well, and for me 20 watts vs 50 watts is a non issue. The signal will blocked by a mountain long before power is an issue on the trails in the Sierras. I probably could get by with a handheld, but don't tell my wife that!

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I subscribed to his channel, I think he is funny, and provides good info without the "sad ham" arrogance. As far as the radio goes, it works well, and for me 20 watts vs 50 watts is a non issue. The signal will blocked by a mountain long before power is an issue on the trails in the Sierras. I probably could get by with a handheld, but don't tell my wife that!
your secret is safe with me. I have 3 handheld baofeng radios but I still ordered the following. I'll have the handhelds to loan out to those that don't have a radio. I'm going to see how the Ghost Antenna works out.
Midland MXTA27 Universal NMO Antenna Lip Mount
Wouxun KG-XS20G GMRS Base/Mobile Two Way Radio
Midland MicroMobile MXTA25 3db Gain Low Profile Ghost Antenna
Tram 1290 NMO Rain Cap

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
your secret is safe with me. I have 3 handheld baofeng radios but I still ordered the following. I'll have the handhelds to loan out to those that don't have a radio. I'm going to see how the Ghost Antenna works out.
Midland MXTA27 Universal NMO Antenna Lip Mount
Wouxun KG-XS20G GMRS Base/Mobile Two Way Radio
Midland MicroMobile MXTA25 3db Gain Low Profile Ghost Antenna
Tram 1290 NMO Rain Cap
You thinking of putting the ghost antenna on one of the mirror mounts that would be normally for lights? Because that would be cool.

Sponsored

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You thinking of putting the ghost antenna on one of the mirror mounts that would be normally for lights? Because that would be cool.
Hmmm! Didn't think about that. What mount would that be? This is what I went with.

Ford Bronco GMRS Installed in 2021 Bronco Base midland-mxta27
Ford Bronco GMRS Installed in 2021 Bronco Base midland-mxta27-2
Ford Bronco GMRS Installed in 2021 Bronco Base midland-mxta27-3

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmmm! Didn't think about that. What mount would that be? This is what I went with.

I think you can screw it right into the hole that they provide?

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Should have bought a Kenwood TMV-71A and modded it so it would do GMRS and FMRS. In an emergency you could also contact Search and Rescue freqs, Sheriff depts and amateur radio operators. In an emergency anybody can use ham freqs.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have my technician license for 2 meter and 70 cm but still weighing the use of a GMRS radio. License for that is now $35 for 10 years. With the growing number of GMRS repeaters and good quality radios it seems more and more people are using them in 4X4 circles.

thanks for the install info and the radio info.

bronco_ed

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was happy to stumble on this thread... I was hoping to find installs with the face of radio showing. Nice radio I purchased this same radio. I figured I would go this route and depending on outcome I may eventually go to the 1000 and put this in our UTV. (plenty of options with the 1000 as it has the removeable head unit.) I opted to go with the Nagoya antenna.

I like your your location... Have you uncovered any more threads with any other possible locations except for the obvious in center console?

Thanks,

-Ed

229944A0-EF9D-4A9D-92F7-47752D44F936.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was happy to stumble on this thread... I was hoping to find installs with the face of radio showing. Nice radio I purchased this same radio. I figured I would go this route and depending on outcome I may eventually go to the 1000 and put this in our UTV. (plenty of options with the 1000 as it has the removeable head unit.) I opted to go with the Nagoya antenna.

I like your your location... Have you uncovered any more threads with any other possible locations except for the obvious in center console?

Thanks,

-Ed
Underneath Center Console. Very long thread on this that many of us followed. See below:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/super-clean-gmrs-radio-install.42659/

bronco_ed

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes… I looked over that thread… more interested in areas that exposes the unit. Similar to this thread. I would like to see options showing the face of the unit. I do not want to hide if I can avoid but I don’t want it to interfere with anything. Choices are limited… just looking to see what others did before diving into where I will put it.

Thanks,

Ed

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes… I looked over that thread… more interested in areas that exposes the unit. Similar to this thread. I would like to see options showing the face of the unit. I do not want to hide if I can avoid but I don’t want it to interfere with anything. Choices are limited… just looking to see what others did before diving into where I will put it.

Thanks,

Ed
Got it, sorry.

bronco_ed

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No biggie Thank you for chiming in...

bronco_ed

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Should have bought a Kenwood TMV-71A and modded it so it would do GMRS and FMRS. In an emergency you could also contact Search and Rescue freqs, Sheriff depts and amateur radio operators. In an emergency anybody can use ham freqs.

Interesting comment...

Just learning about the GMRS radio(s) I see the Wouxun models i have interest in can receive transmission on Ham/ emergency frequencies but does not allow output transmission even in an emergency.

From what I see this Wouxun can use both GMRS and FMRS however limited to transmitting on channels 5 watts and higher. 1-7
It can only receive on the .5 watt FMRS channels

144- 148 mhz 2-meter amateur radio band. RX only...

Kenwood discontinued... what was price on the unit? As it seems like it would be more comparable to the Wouxun 1000. Unfortunately it does not seem like an option any longer unless you could find a used one.

"Modded" can you explain"?
Sponsored

Last edited: