Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have read up on some of the other threads about GMRS radio's installed. I took a little bit of a short cut in how I installed it to see how it worked but honestly I think its fine. For those that are curious instead of running the antenna wire through the fire wall and behind the radio, I just ran it behind all the plastic trimming on the passenger side and underneath the passenger seat to the center console. Looks fine and hidden. I didnt want to waste an aux switch for the radio so I just used the outlet.

This is the first time I have ever used a GMRS radio and I just received my license by the FCC today. As I was tinkering with the radio I had it on auto scan and there is absolutely zero chatter. I drove 10 miles back and forth and nothing. What am I missing? Do I have it mounted in a terrible spot? I honestly thought I would hear a lot of chatter like a CB radio.

https://www.amazon.com/Midland-Micr...07FN2FBML/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Ford Bronco GMRS Midland Radio Install - Reception? Image(1)

Ford Bronco GMRS Midland Radio Install - Reception? Image(2)
Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lot of people have the hand helds with the short range in my area. For the Yacth clubs and parks I drive by I would say I get a 1-2 mile range picking them up. One day I did grab a conversation from the Edsel house that was about 5.5 miles away. I did increase the range and quality a little with the 3db gain antenna.

I don’t get any chatter on mine. Either you hear people talking or it keeps scanning. Somedays I can drive around and not hear a single peep. Other days it can be non stop.

For the bigger radios I won’t find out range until I get upnorth.

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good job. From the old days radio was a hobby for the do it yourselfer.
Your way may end up being the perfect solution for someone else.

GMRS repeaters will help you cover a much larger area...if you can reach one with your radio.
https://www.repeaterbook.com/gmrs/index.php?state_id=none

Radio to radio communication is limited by terrian, buildings, trees, your type antenna and radio power. etc. Get up on a hill and your signal will go farther. If your signal can go to a repeater that is on a hill, you can talk for many miles. My handheld can hit a repeater about 45 miles away. That means I could talk to someone many miles on the opposite side of the repeator up on that tower.

Last edited:

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don't mean to dominate your thread, but please allow me to recommend an antenna that will work to help you. A longer antenna with more gain will reach further and receive better. A great compromise is an antenna called a 1/2 wave designed for GMRS radio frequencies. One that has 2-3 dB of gain will help your signal go farther. The link below is for one 12 inch tall. Longer antennas don't look so good to some people, but they generally work better for everyone.

Something such as the one linked below is a great starting point. The link has several that are called no-ground plane antennas. Not an electrical ground but a radio frequency ground that the many antennas need. This usually requires mounting the antenna directly to metal. The 1/2 wave antennas are no ground plane and is what many of us use for difficult mounting on a Bronco. https://theantennafarm.com/shop-by-...ntennas/3231-laird-connectivity-b4502n-detail

BeardedBadass

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4D/Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks good! I think you may not be hearing any chatter is maybe at the time of listening, no one may be transmitting. I know in my area, there is only a group that will chat on a repeater channel usually after 6 for about an hour. Other than that and the occasional construction workers in the neighborhood, it's pretty much empty. Like mentioned above, key in some repeaters, follow their transmit rules (call signs and such) and see if they repeater will reply to you. That can help you see your range somewhat.
Sponsored