GMRS (Wouxon KG1000G) Installation

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport (Wife), Bronco Badlands (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of my goals was to leave the front passenger compartment as clear as non-cluttered as possible. So, I chose a GMRS radio that had a remote head unit on it...

Ford Bronco GMRS (Wouxon KG1000G) Installation 20220113_142426

Ford Bronco GMRS (Wouxon KG1000G) Installation 20220113_124407

My original plan was to run it to the back compartment and mount it behind the panel..
Ford Bronco GMRS (Wouxon KG1000G) Installation 20220113_164505
Ford Bronco GMRS (Wouxon KG1000G) Installation 20220111_145008

But.. That turned out to be a bad Idea because in my rush I didnt consider the pocket in the mix...
Ford Bronco GMRS (Wouxon KG1000G) Installation 20220113_164826

And, as you can see it won't close with the radio mounted there...

Not wanting to move the base unit up into the front, i decided to sacrifice a little room in the pocket (that normally just gets junk anyway...lol) and mount the radio in the pocket itself... bonus was it makes for easy access to the programming port. Of course, I did have to make a small hole in the pocket for the wires to run thru.
Ford Bronco GMRS (Wouxon KG1000G) Installation 20220115_124330

Wires: How did i get the wires back from the windshield to the rear you ask? Simple.. I used the frame itself... there is an unobstructed channel from the front to the rear within the frame. So I ran a fish tape from the back all the way to the fron with a piece of cord attached.
Ford Bronco GMRS (Wouxon KG1000G) Installation 20220113_124500
Ford Bronco GMRS (Wouxon KG1000G) Installation 20220113_124449

Then pulled the wires all the way from the front to the back of the Bronco and i was able to attach the wires to the radio at that point. (I did cut the tip off the end of the Antenna wire to make it pass through with the Light Bar Wiring, so once in the rear compartment I had to solder the Tip back on).

All and all, I am pleased with how it all turned out. Radio is in a good location (for me at least). Wires are hidden and out of the way, with little chance of interference...

20220113_164826.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
gizmohd

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I actually have it mounted right beside it.. to the left.. plenty of room..

acbaldwi`

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangle, 2005 for Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
question where is the speaker located in that radio since its mounted in the rear of your bronco i would think it would be hard to hear?

OP
OP
gizmohd

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

question where is the speaker located in that radio since its mounted in the rear of your bronco i would think it would be hard to hear?
There's three options.. speaker in main unit in the back.. or speaker in the handset (works well for my needs) or run an external speaker to wh we rever you need.

Sponsored

acbaldwi`

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangle, 2005 for Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's three options.. speaker in main unit in the back.. or speaker in the handset (works well for my needs) or run an external speaker to wh we rever you need.
Nice thanks

JackFlack

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Love your install. Really opened my eyes as I am starting the install of my own KG1000G in my new bronco. One question: Did you just screw the head unit mounting piece to (whatever that piece is called - upfitter switch housing?)? When I hold my head unit up there, it looks like it has a slight upward tilt when using the straight head piece. I'm going to try to flip the angled piece upside down to compensate for the upward tilt.

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love your install. Really opened my eyes as I am starting the install of my own KG1000G in my new bronco. One question: Did you just screw the head unit mounting piece to (whatever that piece is called - upfitter switch housing?)? When I hold my head unit up there, it looks like it has a slight upward tilt when using the straight head piece. I'm going to try to flip the angled piece upside down to compensate for the upward tilt.
Unfortunately the angled trim piece is one-way only. I would have prefered a slightly downward angle as well, but found it had to be mounted with the up angle. I don’t find it to be too difficult to see the display at all.
Sponsored