First Name
Conor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Outer Banks Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Add me to the dreaded tick/rattle coming from the tailgate. Have an appointment with my dealership on Tuesday. Will let everyone know what my dealer has to say.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Add me to the dreaded tick/rattle coming from the tailgate. Have an appointment with my dealership on Tuesday. Will let everyone know what my dealer has to say.
Good morning! If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can assist with your tailgate rattle concern.

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just had this issue crop up on mine. Followed the advice on this thread to remove the panels on the tailgate (I broke 2 clips, so start from the bottom when removing) I sprayed wd40 in pretty much every hole I could see. Opened and closed the tailgate a bunch and moved the spare tire up and down a bunch. Seems to have worked.

BroncoAdventures

Base
First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 ford escape titanium ,1991 toyota 4x4 22re
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good morning! If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can assist with your tailgate rattle concern.
I was called last week saying my tailgate is ready to be replaced . I called a couple days after because I was out of town and I still haven’t got a hold of anyone . Nobody answers the phone and nobody calls back . Terrible experience listening to this tailgate for so long .

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch, Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just developed this sound after already having the hammer built reinforcement installed for a couple of weeks. I think it started after some kid loading groceries in Target drive-up slammed it shut. That 37" tire had a lot of momentum!

Just purchased some WD-40 lithium on amazon, fingers crossed that it solves my issue!

Sponsored

EthsBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4dr Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’ve been dealing with the ticking sound for 11k miles now. It’s pretty much my only complaint with the vehicle. I toke the advice from the chat and sprayed white lithium spray everywhere inside the tailgate. Let’s see if this helps or not. I also have an appointment to have ford look at the issue In November. Love the vehicle besides all the rattling and riot popping issues.

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there a Ford fix for this? My Bronco was nice and quiet for the first 1000 miles. Not so pleasant to drive now. Everyone that rides in it is annoyed by all of the popping sounds.
Or are we supposed to fill the tailgate with grease?

ChrisE

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw, Mustang, Firebird
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm having this problem and trying to understand the wd-40 thing. What exactly is everyone spraying? Some say the screws, some say holes. Anyone have pics of what they sprayed? I've had this truck for 5 months with 1 of those months at the dealer fixing endless quality issues. This one has not been addressed yet

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Fix the problem instead of masking it. Yall are just spraying lube everywhere. https://www.roughcountry.com/ford-bronco-tailgate-reinforcement-51052c.html

This issue is fixable, but not with lube. YOU CAN'T FIX EVERYTHING WITH LUBE(believe me, I've tried). You are still left with a weak tailgate that is flexing.
Not even going to argue if you don't believe me. Its not worth my time. But seriously, a tailgate reinforcement is needed on all Broncos BEFORE you develop issues. And if you already have issues, i would say "more" issues. But hey, you do you

Last edited:

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch, Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fix the problem instead of masking it. Yall are just spraying lube everywhere. https://www.roughcountry.com/ford-bronco-tailgate-reinforcement-51052c.html

This issue is fixable, but not with lube. YOU CAN'T FIX EVERYTHING WITH LUBE(believe me, I've tried). You are still left with a weak tailgate that is flexing.
Not even going to argue if you don't believe me. Its not worth my time. But seriously, a tailgate reinforcement is needed on all Broncos BEFORE you develop issues. And if you already have issues, i would say "more" issues. But hey, you do you

Funny thing is that mine didn't start until AFTER my tailgate reinforcement was installed.

I tried the lube thing, didn't do shit. I probably didn't spray the right areas though.

Now I'll just sit and wait until there is a TSB for this issue. I know my dealer won't play ball without one, since I have a reinforcement and 37" tire on the tailgate.

Sponsored

ChrisE

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw, Mustang, Firebird
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

been a few people saying the reinforcements didn't fix it. on this thread and on other similar threads. may not be a bad idea, but still not addressing a design flaw properly. I'm hoping for a TSB, but it doesn't sound like any solution is reasonable unless they redesign the tailgate and then they are going to replace thousands? doesn't seem likely

Patriotic

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Wildtrak; ‘23 Porsche 992T; ‘20 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

5 months in and no more rattle with just lube, no reinforcement. Just sayin'

tambrico

Badlands
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Niner Air 9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tried the lube trick by greasing the tire mount bolts from the back end thru the accessory ready panel. did not work. going back to the dealer next week .

ElPasoBronc

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been having the same issue. Finally decided to look it up and seems like there a lot of people with the same problem. It’s driving me nuts. 😅
Sponsored