NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Have you removed that plastic cover on the tailgate and driven around with it off? Sometimes plastic rubbing on stuff makes the most annoying sound. Curious if that entire piece is the issue.

This is driving me nuts, and it’s not even my vehicle. For the love of God, please take it to the dealership to get answers!!! :ROFLMAO:
I have removed the plastic and driven around!
Sponsored

4XMORE

First Edition
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

At around 300 miles in, my Bronco has developed a pretty gnarly rattle from the tailgate.

I will try to get a recording, but it is very loud and easily reproducible by driving basically any distance.

I had someone ride in the cargo area and they said it’s coming from within the tailgate itself, like metal pinging against metal. Not near hinges, latches, or where the tailgate interacts with the hard top window seal. I popped the accessory ready cover off on the inside of the tailgate and there are only some small holes into the interior of the tailgate, so no way to reach your hand in there or anything and it’s unclear how it could be disassembled any further, given it’s metal sandwiched together.

Ford dealership service departments around here aren’t rated well at all, and since they likely haven’t troubleshot many/any Broncos yet, I’m thinking about waiting and continuing to see if I can remediate before asking them to deal with it. Not sure how long I can go though, because it’s VERY loud!

Anyone with service manuals able to provide any insight? Is there better access from behind the spare tire? Not sure I would feel comfortable doing much more myself, but if there’s a quick and easy way in I may give it a shot..:
I have your same issue, I took it to the dealer and the thought they fixed it… but they didn’t. After taking apart the rear myself I found the issue. Its the door seal for the camera’s wiring harness. Attached are some pictures of it, and a video of the sound. I‘m still working on a solution to fix it, as I don’t think a replacement part is going to solve the issue. I might make a gasket to press the part on the panel better so it cant make that noise. I’ll do write up if I get the fix down. 👍
Ford Bronco Gnarly tailgate rattle 69B05C81-FF25-461D-8462-5CEDB619AB73

JTK37

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have your same issue, I took it to the dealer and the thought they fixed it… but they didn’t. After taking apart the rear myself I found the issue. Its the door seal for the camera’s wiring harness. Attached are some pictures of it, and a video of the sound. I‘m still working on a solution to fix it, as I don’t think a replacement part is going to solve the issue. I might make a gasket to press the part on the panel better so it cant make that noise. I’ll do write up if I get the fix down. 👍
Ford Bronco Gnarly tailgate rattle trim.E1EBF456-43A7-4F89-A742-36298D3115DF.MOV

How’d you pop the plastic panel off? Any damage or broken tabs in the process?

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Gnarly tailgate rattle trim.E1EBF456-43A7-4F89-A742-36298D3115DF.MOV

At first I definitely thought you were trolling us as it looked like you were tapping on the cargo door for a second lol.

Man, I don’t know how you found out that was the annoying sound. Good for you! Maybe try stuffing a cloth or something in there and drive around? Before you do a permanent “fix” just to make sure it’s the issue.

Sponsored

4XMORE

First Edition
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

How’d you pop the plastic panel off? Any damage or broken tabs in the process?
Just an old gift card and leverage. I learned a lot on my cars over the years. When you pull just go slow, and don’t force it. You should have an issue.

4XMORE

First Edition
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

At first I definitely thought you were trolling us as it looked like you were tapping on the cargo door for a second lol.

Man, I don’t know how you found out that was the annoying sound. Good for you! Maybe try stuffing a cloth or something in there and drive around? Before you do a permanent “fix” just to make sure it’s the issue.
I had my wife dive me in the back and I could feel it happening. I’m confident this is causing my issue.

I’m first going to try to shorten the harness’s play to see if that helps. I will likely need to make a spacer out of some plastic sheet material to space the back of the plug off the metal removing creating the play in the system.

Right now the plasic press fit on the plug doesn’t put enough pressure on the gate to keep the door seal form moving. That moving is making the noise against the thin door making the tin pop noise.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It’s not that

the sound has been unquestionably pinpointed to from within the tailgate, and not related to hinge or latch
then remove the tire and then the tailgate. pull off the panels and shake it until the loose thing rattling falls out and reassemble... easy as pie...

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 International Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It needs a cable strain relief like this
https://smile.amazon.com/Adhesive-M...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
WOW! Very impressive detective work. I think you just saved a bunch of folks the headache.
Thank you in advance.

Sponsored

4XMORE

First Edition
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

4XMORE

First Edition
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Alright I have some good, bad and better news. I was able to fix that noise from the gasket, and it does help the problem. Just remove the panel, remove the tape & cable tie and shorten it. At that point you just reassemble. The bad news is there is another noise still.

The better new is I think I found the issue. After my last fix for the plug, with the spare removed the noise goes away. However, when I put the spare back on it came back again. After looking into it deeper I think its related to the rubber tire supports on the door. The rubber and the finish sound like they stick together, and when moved make the noise I’m now hearing.

Attached is a video of the noice they make, which sounds like what I’m now hearing. I tried removing them, but they use a body Fastener I’m not use to and don’t seem to want to come off.

They appear as if you just screw them in, but screwing them out didn’t do anything. Before I just drill them, anyone familiar with these or have access to the service repair diagrams or parts diagrams? Parts have been rare on the broncos, so I’d rather not burn a part that has likely has no timeline.

Cheers!

goalie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good catch. Maybe a thin piece of plastic cut to match the rubber diameter, use that a shim? It wouldnt stick to the metal, should take care of it. I'm thinking maybe I'd 3d print something, but not everyone has access to that.

edit: you could glue the side to the rubber so it wouldnt create a new sound. Or use nylon, thats prob even better.

Last edited:

4XMORE

First Edition
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Good catch. Maybe a thin piece of plastic cut to match the rubber diameter, use that a shim? It wouldnt stick to the metal, should take care of it. I'm thinking maybe I'd 3d print something, but not everyone has access to that.

edit: you could glue the side to the rubber so it wouldnt create a new sound. Or use nylon, thats prob even better.
Right now I’m thinking about trimming this to fit, I’d like to find one where it’s has more space between the layers like a foam.
Ford Bronco Gnarly tailgate rattle 66F5A310-9E62-4D70-9BFA-225EBA992193

2021badlands bronco bob

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Alright I have some good, bad and better news. I was able to fix that noise from the gasket, and it does help the problem. Just remove the panel, remove the tape & cable tie and shorten it. At that point you just reassemble. The bad news is there is another noise still.

The better new is I think I found the issue. After my last fix for the plug, with the spare removed the noise goes away. However, when I put the spare back on it came back again. After looking into it deeper I think its related to the rubber tire supports on the door. The rubber and the finish sound like they stick together, and when moved make the noise I’m now hearing.

Attached is a video of the noice they make, which sounds like what I’m now hearing. I tried removing them, but they use a body Fastener I’m not use to and don’t seem to want to come off.

They appear as if you just screw them in, but screwing them out didn’t do anything. Before I just drill them, anyone familiar with these or have access to the service repair diagrams or parts diagrams? Parts have been rare on the broncos, so I’d rather not burn a part that has likely has no timeline.

Cheers!
Did you get ahold of Ford? Just thinking of other people that may have to deal with Fords shit work . 🤷‍♂️ Good luck with you Bronco.
Sponsored