Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ā€˜21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like my post said. When the spare tire wasn't on the tailgate the sound wasn't there. I only shortened mine a bit because I extended them myself due to zero offset wheels. Figured that they were now to long and putting TO much pressure on the aluminium tailgate. So for the stock spare and the supports... Maybe they are to weak and need a bit more support. They are pretty flimsy out near where they meet the tire Find some 1"diameter acrylic rod and cut some experimental spacers. Put them in the opening, maybe have the spacer sticking out 1/4" further to have more support and a bit more contact with the tire and see how that goes.
Yeah the first attempt was removing everything tire as well as brake light. Didnt fix it. Sound is coming from the interior of the gate cavity. for my issue anyway.
Sponsored

JayhawkJake

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Scion FR-S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Like my post said. When the spare tire wasn't on the tailgate the sound wasn't there. I only shortened mine a bit because I extended them myself due to zero offset wheels. Figured that they were now to long and putting TO much pressure on the aluminium tailgate. So for the stock spare and the supports... Maybe they are to weak and need a bit more support. They are pretty flimsy out near where they meet the tire Find some 1"diameter acrylic rod and cut some experimental spacers. Put them in the opening, maybe have the spacer sticking out 1/4" further to have more support and a bit more contact with the tire and see how that goes.
As is they get compressed at least a 1/4 inch.

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2004 Mustang GT, 2021 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the same issue and it's definitely a by product of the spare tire. I pulled mine off and drove around and the sound was gone. Installed the Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement in hopes that might help, but the sound is still there. I don't know if it's the carrier, bumpstops, or something internal, but it's definitely comes from the hinge side of the tailgate.

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the same issue and it's definitely a by product of the spare tire. I pulled mine off and drove around and the sound was gone. Installed the Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement in hopes that might help, but the sound is still there. I don't know if it's the carrier, bumpstops, or something internal, but it's definitely comes from the hinge side of the tailgate.
Was yours the same tick as the video I posted? It's very specific, inside the cavity and metal tick not any other material. We removed everything multiple times and have not been able to get the sound to stop.

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was yours the same tick as the video I posted? It's very specific, inside the cavity and metal tick not any other material. We removed everything multiple times and have not been able to get the sound to stop.
Alright I have some good, bad and better news. I was able to fix that noise from the gasket, and it does help the problem. Just remove the panel, remove the tape & cable tie and shorten it. At that point you just reassemble. The bad news is there is another noise still.

The better new is I think I found the issue. After my last fix for the plug, with the spare removed the noise goes away. However, when I put the spare back on it came back again. After looking into it deeper I think its related to the rubber tire supports on the door. The rubber and the finish sound like they stick together, and when moved make the noise Iā€™m now hearing.

Attached is a video of the noice they make, which sounds like what Iā€™m now hearing. I tried removing them, but they use a body Fastener Iā€™m not use to and donā€™t seem to want to come off.

They appear as if you just screw them in, but screwing them out didnā€™t do anything. Before I just drill them, anyone familiar with these or have access to the service repair diagrams or parts diagrams? Parts have been rare on the broncos, so Iā€™d rather not burn a part that has likely has no timeline.

Cheers!
Exactly the same as above.

Sponsored

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

not the rubber gasket video. This one:

Grabbed the wrong quote! My noise is the same as this one, but I've checked all the aformentioned possible issues with no luck. The only thing that made it stop was removing the spare tire.

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Grabbed the wrong quote! My noise is the same as this one, but I've checked all the aformentioned possible issues with no luck. The only thing that made it stop was removing the spare tire.
Interesting. It didnā€™t solve for me but if it comes down to the weight causing the flex of the metal welds or rivets to click would would make sense, I donā€™t know what would fix it tho and thatā€™s worrying.

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Defender / 1985 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have this same problem and glad to finally find a thread with others - although the more people worries me they will claim normal. I've been to dealer twice and driven with service and techs in the back. they sent the below video to ford and everyone has acknowledged that it is not normal.

They told me Ford sent a few ideas of spots to lubricate and tighten. It's definitely in the cavity tho closed to the interior left side which is welded so they are running out of ideas - I want a new tailgate. The plastic panel does come off pretty easily though of course I have broken a couple tabs - the sound is exactly like the plastic screws pushing in and out a thread at a time but I pulled them all out and it didn't fix it so it is something else.

It can be replicated when I open and close the tailgate but it's most present driving over any road that isn't perfectly paved. - there is some level of stress or flex happening. The latest idea was the wheel/brake light mount screws which they said were loose but it did not fix it. They are keeping another day. Attached is a video of it when it was at its worst which is typically the mornings. it started after a few hundred miles for me as well.

This is exactly the noise I have. I have just been turning the music up...

Heynongman

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Has anyone else tried the silicone grease on the bolts fix mentioned elsewhere? I have this same tailgate sound and its getting ridiculous.

Reactions: Kel

Sponsored

John Whammer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can you try to catch it with a heavy magnet?
If its a metal fragment bouncing around in there?

slohatch

First Edition
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger redeye
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have this exact noise, what was the fix