Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 1933 Ford 5w Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thankfully my noise hasn’t returned since my above post on Sunday.
Mine is currently at the dealer getting the seal for the rear top changed. When I get it back I'll try lubing everything up and see if it helps.
Sponsored

WhoaNelly

Big Bend
First Name
Viraj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, MV Agusta TV800
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thought I'd add my update to this thread since no one seems to have mentioned it. I took my 2-door for its service and told the SA about the tailgate rattle. I was told that there is an official TSB out about this. I was in a rush and didn't get the full details on what part(s) of the tailgate will be fixed under warranty, but apparently this TSB is specific to hardtops only.

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know it sounds like its coming from the tailgate but check the heat shield above the muffler ,ask me how I know👍

DSRTR8D

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like the rattle. Sounds like a man’s vehicle.

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, GT350, 991, Rubicon, Viper, Nissan Z32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know it sounds like its coming from the tailgate but check the heat shield above the muffler ,ask me how I know👍
You can hear mine when you are opening or closing the swing gate. Not sure how that could be the heat shield but I’m willing to try if you tell me more.

I have climbed under and the heat shield seems to be pretty solidly mounted. It’s pretty soft and I bent it around a little bit bit could not find any loose spots or screws.

The rattle seems to be inside the tail gate itself. I have ridden back there and taken everything off the swing gate but nothing seems to make it stop.

Taking the spare and spare mount off helps but does not solve it. And even if it did, well you would not have a spare or rear camera.

Sponsored

DSRTR8D

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can’t believe guys are worried about “squeaks” and “rattles” in an off-road vehicle.

I mean, to be a prisoner to that sort of obsessive behavior has got to be a difficult way to live and enjoy life.

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, GT350, 991, Rubicon, Viper, Nissan Z32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can’t believe guys are worried about “squeaks” and “rattles” in an off-road vehicle.

I mean, to be a prisoner to that sort of obsessive behavior has got to be a difficult way to live and enjoy life.
This is not a normal Squeak or Rattle. It is BAD.

Feels like the swing gate is coming apart over rough pavement.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

At around 300 miles in, my Bronco has developed a pretty gnarly rattle from the tailgate.

I will try to get a recording, but it is very loud and easily reproducible by driving basically any distance.

I had someone ride in the cargo area and they said it’s coming from within the tailgate itself, like metal pinging against metal. Not near hinges, latches, or where the tailgate interacts with the hard top window seal. I popped the accessory ready cover off on the inside of the tailgate and there are only some small holes into the interior of the tailgate, so no way to reach your hand in there or anything and it’s unclear how it could be disassembled any further, given it’s metal sandwiched together.

Ford dealership service departments around here aren’t rated well at all, and since they likely haven’t troubleshot many/any Broncos yet, I’m thinking about waiting and continuing to see if I can remediate before asking them to deal with it. Not sure how long I can go though, because it’s VERY loud!

Anyone with service manuals able to provide any insight? Is there better access from behind the spare tire? Not sure I would feel comfortable doing much more myself, but if there’s a quick and easy way in I may give it a shot..:
Hey, try using compressed air a flex magnet. Also, tape up some tubing to your shop vac and go fishing. Goodluck.....

DSRTR8D

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is not a normal Squeak or Rattle. It is BAD.

Feels like the swing gate is coming apart over rough pavement.
I have the same thing, just like the vid posted. It’s no big deal.

RJ9701

First Edition
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Reporting what worked for me in hopes it will help others:

1. I developed the same rattle as in the short videos posted on this thread. Noticed mine 2-3 weeks ago, at about 500 miles.

2. After reading another thread on B6G (but not this one) regarding a rattle from the cargo area, I applied GummiPflege to all window and seals in the rear. This didn't resolve the issue.

3. Rode in the rear seats yesterday morning and I isolated the sound as coming from inside the tailgate as others here observed.

4. On advice of a poster to this thread, I removed the rectangular black accessory cover from the tailgate and really doused (bathed) the 2-3 bolts that I could see with WD-40 Spray Lithium Grease. Test drove it again and the noise was better (i.e. less frequent) but still there. Figured I was on to something.

5. Found and read all 13 pages of this thread. I removed the accessory cover again and doused the lower bolt towards the driver side latch that I had missed on the first pass. (Tip: Use flashlight to see this and all other bolts to make sure you don't miss any).

6. At the same time, on the advice of another poster to this thread, I doused the latch mechanism on the tailgate and the slider on the body.

7. Test drove again and the rattle/tick-tick sound is completely gone.

Not sure what actually resolved my issue or whether it was a combination of all these things but I hope this helps others.
WD-40 spray lithium grease worked for me. This metallic/ticking rattle was driving me crazy. Took into dealer to make some adjustments on the tailgate/hardtop per the TSB that Ford has on this. They suggested not doing that but did take the hardtop on and off. Suffice it to say that didn't work. Also tried the weatherstripping and lubrication on the tailgate lip where it meets the back window. No luck there. Finally sprayed a lot of WD-40 spray lithium grease into the small access slit in the lower passenger side. I could hear a tick/click from this area when I opened and closed the tailgate. Let it sit overnight and took for a ride the next day and this rattle from hell is gone. :)

Sponsored

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The OE spare tire carrier does have a rattle to it which reverbs throughout the cab, but it only starts doing that when the road gets bumpy..

Blueroach

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

The most annoying sound. It is random and cannot be replicated when stationary. Only hear it on rough roads. Seems like it is coming from inside the tailgate and kind of sounds like it is stretching sometimes...

Last edited:

EVH1994

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

The most annoying sound. It is random and cannot be replicated when stationary. Only hear it on rough roads. Seems like it is coming from inside the tailgate and kind of sounds like it is stretching sometimes...
I have the same exact noise coming from my 2 Door. Started at about 200 miles and has been doing it ever since. Do you still have the stock tires on? I swapped to a tire that’s 15lbs heavier so I thought that might be causing it. Looking at the other pages in this thread, it seems it might be the wiring harness, not the spare carrier itself.

Blueroach

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the same exact noise coming from my 2 Door. Started at about 200 miles and has been doing it ever since. Do you still have the stock tires on? I swapped to a tire that’s 15lbs heavier so I thought that might be causing it. Looking at the other pages in this thread, it seems it might be the wiring harness, not the spare carrier itself.
Yes I am on stock tires still. Mine started around 1300 miles. I just tried the WD-40 hack people talk about in this thread today and I'm letting it sit. I hope it will be gone tomorrow.

Tkekich

Big Bend
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes I am on stock tires still. Mine started around 1300 miles. I just tried the WD-40 hack people talk about in this thread today and I'm letting it sit. I hope it will be gone tomorrow.
I've done the WD 40 hack as well, lubed everything up, let it sit and still rattling. GRrrrrr
Sponsored