Blueroach

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've done the WD 40 hack as well, lubed everything up, let it sit and still rattling. GRrrrrr
It seems like it worked for me! Not sure If it's a permanent fix but I didn't hear it when I drove this morning! Make sure you don't skip any of the screws...
Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Count me in as well,. So much rattling on any sort of bump, ford techs said its nothing out of the ordinary….

That actually sounds like the spare is loose!

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a noise that sounds like zippers rattling together... Maybe not the tailgate itself, but definitely in the back.... Over bumps but not every bump.
Behind the side panels or in the tailgate. I have not back seats or floor!

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My rattle was one of the two rubber spacers at the bottom of the spare tire. The screw is stripped and whatever is on the backside in the tailgate holding that screw is causing the rattle. Now I am trying to figure out how to secure it. When the spare is off. No rattle.
It isn't a screw that holds these.... Just plastic push pins like what you see on the fender liners.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey...cut Ford some slack...they rushed this thing out the door after only 6 years of development & testing :)
Remember the early offroad testing videos and all that rattling racket..? Ford claiming it was supplemental harnesses or something...?
They knew/know all about this but didn't go back to the drawing board over it 🤷

Sponsored

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Don’t think that will fix it it. I’m nearly sure it’s a rivet that is flexing or stressing the metal which is causing the tick over any uneven surface. My dealer has removed lubed and tightened every bolt and elements relating to the spare, parking light, rubber bumpers etc. The sound is in the cavity of the gate, closer to the hinges but inside. I suppose it could be related to hinges where they are welded to the inside. aside from driving, you can replicate it on mine when opening and closing the gate, when it’s almost fully opening or closing. tick tick tick.

they couldn’t replicate on another 4 door they had which is good. Meaning it’s not every single one and they are working on a solution.
Any solution? You describe EXACTLY my issue, I can replicate when opening/closing the tailgate like you.

eurydice_96

Badlands
First Name
Janet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a similar rattling sound coming from my 2-door. I put a piece of PPF on the top of the rear door where the back window rubs on the paint. That fixed mine.

nint3ndofr34k

Badlands
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
+1 on this issue its driving me nuts, dealer cant figure out whats wrong with it. I hope someone can find a good remedy.

UPDATE: Removed the accessory piece and filled all the tailgate holes with some WD40 and NOISE IS GONE

Last edited:

JBG123

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thankful I found this thread! After 11k miles i started hearing the ticking noise coming from inside the tailgate. But as suggested in this thread, I bought some WD-40 white lithium grease and coated the inside of the tailgate behind the plastic accessory cover. Worked like a charm! The noise is completetly gone.

Hudman316

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good news everyone that is experiencing this issue. I recently installed the Rough Country tailgate reinforcement bracket. This has helped the issue tremendously. There is still a slight noise but again to be somewhat expected when there’s a 90lb wheel on the back of a aluminum tailgate. The produt is worth the money. Video shows you can do it by yourself. I needed a hand from my girlfriend to keep everything aligned for the bolts.
I installed the RC enforcement bracket on my Wildtrak based on the weight of the 35” spare tire / wheel. The bracket adds structural integrity to the entire tailgate. It spreads the weight over a wider area and adds strength at the hinges. It’s one of several mods I did during the first week of owning it.

Sponsored

Tkekich

Big Bend
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thankful I found this thread! After 11k miles i started hearing the ticking noise coming from inside the tailgate. But as suggested in this thread, I bought some WD-40 white lithium grease and coated the inside of the tailgate behind the plastic accessory cover. Worked like a charm! The noise is completetly gone.
I did the same exact thing, twice in fact. It took several days for it to work. Finally, absolutely no rattles.

Earlybroncoboy

Badlands
First Name
Wagner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22Bronco,76bronco,73bronco,06F250,96F250,97F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just want to share my experience with the annoying tailgate clicking when hitting bumps. I’m running a base with a 17x9 and 315s. I tried extending tailgate bumpers no change. I tried removing the spare tire mount and adding foam tape behind as more of an insulator, no change. Removed all access covers in side and sprayed everything with fluid film, no change. Left it sit over night noise is gone. Needed time to creep in all the crevices. If you have the click try lubing everything inside the tailgate. It looks to me like there is an internal structure inside the gate to help support the load. My guess is the outer shell of the gate is flexing on the inner structure enough to make the sound. I know others have had luck with the lube and so did I.

Tkekich

Big Bend
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just want to share my experience with the annoying tailgate clicking when hitting bumps. I’m running a base with a 17x9 and 315s. I tried extending tailgate bumpers no change. I tried removing the spare tire mount and adding foam tape behind as more of an insulator, no change. Removed all access covers in side and sprayed everything with fluid film, no change. Left it sit over night noise is gone. Needed time to creep in all the crevices. If you have the click try lubing everything inside the tailgate. It looks to me like there is an internal structure inside the gate to help support the load. My guess is the outer shell of the gate is flexing on the inner structure enough to make the sound. I know others have had luck with the lube and so did I.
I sprayed the inside of mine twice and after a 48 hour period allowing it to get in to all the nooks and crannies the rattle is 100 percent gone...

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, GT350, 991, Rubicon, Viper, Nissan Z32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
WD40 worked for mine also. With one slight difference.

I sprayed mine twice through all the holes but it persisted even after a weeks driving. I took off the spare and the spare mount. Lubed all the bolts and sprayed more inside. Reinstalled the spare mount and tire. The rattle is finally gone and all is quiet for the past month or two.

Finger crossed it does not come back.

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just a thanks to those in this thread. I had a mild ticking noise, like a popping rivet, from my tailgate similar to others in this thread. It was enough to annoy me badly, but I doubt it was bad enough that the dealer would replace the tailgate. Anyhow, I did the WD40 lithium spray down like others in this thread and so far so good. Hopefully it stays that way. Thanks again for the help everyone.
Sponsored