Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, I'm coming from a Jeep, first a JK, now a JL Rubicon, which I may end up keeping because I'm really liking it. One thing I'm wondering - for people who have gone from a manual 4wd transfer case to the GOAT mode where it's basically automated - any long-term concerns? Are there any pros/cons with the system? I feel like from an ease of use, being able to shift and control lockers/sway bar on the fly for the most part without necessarily having to move to 4L, or hit the clutch, etc. is an advantage.

Note - I'm in a manual JLR, and I have a manual Badlands on order. I have Jeeps/Bronco mainly to be able to load/unload gear that's in sand/saltwater constantly without issue (MGV Interior on Badlands, Armorlite in JL), but I'm getting more into off-roading. Most of my off-roading was in a old YJ or Toyota 22RE Pickup that I wasn't too concerned with hurting, and neither had anything like lockers/sway bar, etc. and I'm mostly in sand/mud.
Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have two issues with the system.

The dial is extremely poorly placed. Fords with electronic transfer case shifters have placed the shifter control on the dashboard ever since they first came out with Touch Drive, the first electronic shift transfer case. This dial placed in the centre console is awkwardly placed enough that you have to look down at it, not only to see what button you are pushing but where it is.

The transfer case does not stay in the drive mode you leave it in when you restart the vehicle. If you shut the Bronco off and then come back to drive away, there is a brief notification in the gauge cluster asking if you want to return to the mode that you were in when you shut the engine off. This makes absolutely no sense and is annoying because if you miss that notice, it will shift yo into "Normal" mode. Never mind the fact that you have to switch back to whatever mode you were in, the likelyhood that you are not going to want to be in the mode that got you to where you parked is pretty slim unless we are talking exclusively about street driving. There is no good reason for this whatsoever. When I shift the transfer case, I want it to stay when I left it until I choose to change it.

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The dial is extremely poorly placed. Fords with electronic transfer case shifters have placed the shifter control on the dashboard ever since they first came out with Touch Drive, the first electronic shift transfer case. This dial placed in the centre console is awkwardly placed enough that you have to look down at it, not only to see what button you are pushing but where it is.

The transfer case does not stay in the drive mode you leave it in when you restart the vehicle. If you shut the Bronco off and then come back to drive away, there is a brief notification in the gauge cluster asking if you want to return to the mode that you were in when you shut the engine off. This makes absolutely no sense and is annoying because if you miss that notice, it will shift yo into "Normal" mode. Never mind the fact that you have to switch back to whatever mode you were in, the likelyhood that you are not going to want to be in the mode that got you to where you parked is pretty slim unless we are talking exclusively about street driving. There is no good reason for this whatsoever. When I shift the transfer case, I want it to stay when I left it until I choose to change it.
Good to know - especially on the restart portion. I typically lead with the guys I 4x4 with on some local trails, and I'm constantly starting/restarting to talk to them/scout out ahead.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can still control the transfer case manually even with the GOAT mode system, so I personally don't have any concerns.

Fundamentally the GOAT modes are just "transfer case / traction control presets" that help those who are new at off-roading. But you can still do it all manually if you want. The GOAT modes also adjusts how the transmission/throttle behaves, but obviously if you are getting a manual transmission it doesn't really impact you in a big way.

I will agree @Paul Gagnon that the knob is in a weird spot. But unless you are switching modes frequently it isn't a huge deal. That said, I disagree in regards to the mode switching upon restart. I actually likes how it resets to normal mode, and as he mentioned... if you want to stick to the previous mode you can just hit the okay button when the vehicle starts.

Last edited:

MysteryCamper

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Important to note that the GOAT modes are optional. I usually wheel in normal mode, manually put it in 4L, sway bar off, and turn the lockers on/off as needed, then I'll switch the transmission into manual mode on to keep it in low gear for crawling. It's very intuitive and maintains what I have selected even if I turn it off

The only GOAT modes I normally use off road are Baja and sand, mostly for the throttle tuning the system does.

Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My only gripe would be the above stated returning to normal mode with every start. It’s winter in Michigan if I put it in slippery I want it to stay there until I change it. But I believe of I press the 4a it stays in that even when turned off and on and that’s more important to me that the transfer case stays in the 4h, 2h that I left it on when I parked.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

*touch drive at least for BII's and Rangers started out on the roof console above the rear mirror in '86.

Not really sure when fullsizes got it but I think it was later on.

Used the same crappy shift motor for years too...

Without much seat time in a new Bronco I kind of agree, I would rather have the knob somewhere else. I could find something else to use that spot for than a knob that doesn't get used very often.

I like my manual 4wd, given the option between to similar trucks I don't think I would ever not opt for it.
Sponsored