Sponsored

Goat modes, Manual transmission

• Thread starter Deleted member 13702
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Deleted member 13702

Ok, so maybe someone can clear up how the goat modes work with a manual transmission. Generally performance modes affect an automatic transmission's shift points, so what good are the goat modes with the manual? Curious if anyone has any insight.
Sponsored

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

and traction control

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Except for shifting, it’ll probably be something like this. https://jalopnik.com/what-2017-ford-raptors-off-road-modes-really-do-an-exp-1789712036
What The 2017 Ford Raptor's Off-Road Modes Really Do: An Explainer

https://jalopnik.com/author/andrewpcollins
We’ve heard a lot about the 2017 Ford Raptor“optimizing itself” for different driving situations. This week between canyon carvingand sand-slidingsessions, we sat down with an engineer to find out what’s really going on when you push this truck’s magic buttons.
Recent Videos from Jalopnik

The new Raptor has an impressive 450-horsepower engine, 10-speed transmission, unique high-strength frame, long-travel suspension and a beautifully appointed interior. But the Terrain Management System that dials the truck in between six different surface-type settings is the keystone of turning the vehicle into a holistic system of all-terrain dominance.Practically speaking, the Terrain Management System can change how the gas pedal responds, where the transmission shifts, how much resistance is built into the steering sensation, which drive wheels are active and when the differential locks both rear wheels together.

Ford Powertrain Integration Engineer Seth Goslawski explained how the levers are being set in each mode:

NORMAL

The Raptor’s default setting is rear-wheel drive, with a neutral-feeling throttle response and shift points set to hit a balance between fuel economy and acceleration. Auto start/stop will be active, though that and the driveline’s setting between 2WD and 4WD can be user-overridden.
This is the setting you’ll be in every time you start your truck. Only the 4WD system, since it’s mechanical, will remain the way you last had it through a key-cycle.

SPORT

The gas pedal is “front-loaded” to make throttle response more dramatic. Shifting is adaptive, meaning the transmission will hold gears longer than Normal mode but will shift into a higher gear whenever possible. Steering, which can also be dialed independently, is set to “Sport,” which adds resistance to the helm. Traction control is at its normal rate of intervention.
WEATHER

The throttle is muted, meaning the truck won’t accelerate as hard when you put your foot down. The idea is that this will help you avoid spinning your wheels into oblivion while you’re stuck in snow. The transmission shifts short to keep engine speed as low as possible while keeping you moving forward. Traction control operates on a heightened aggressiveness. Basically the system is quicker to cut power if it detects slight slips or yaw.
The 4WD system is set to “Auto” here which allows the truck to behave like some AWD vehicles, sneakily sending power to front wheels when sensors decide that can help the traction situation.

This is the only driving mode where auto start/stop is active other than “Normal.”
MUD/SAND

The Raptor’s configuration for low traction, high-power situations puts the throttle at a moderately aggressive setting between Normal and Sport. Shifting is similar to Sport where gears are held a little longer, but will shift up if the system detects you can carry on without the power of high-revs.
Traction control is essentially off to let the tires freewheel a bit, since you don’t want to lose power just as you’re climbing out of a sand bog, but stability control will still be in place.

Steering is set to “comfort,” which provides the most assistance. That means the front wheels will turn harder with less driver input.
BAJA

Behold the beast mode: “Baja” puts the Raptor’s throttle response at its most direct setting, holds the RPMs as high as safely possible to squeeze every drop of energy out of the turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost engine and relaxes the traction/stability systems to allow for the most yaw and slide it deems safely possible.
The drivetrain is set to 4WD high automatically, but you can override and set to 2WD for the full Baja 1000 racing experience.

Steering is actually set to “Normal,” giving you more neutral resistance on the wheel since deep sand tends to push back more than the pavement.
In my time with the Raptor off-road, this was the setting to put the biggest smile on my face. It instantly multiplied my intermediate driving abilities, taking me confidently to highway speeds through soft, twisty desert scrubland straight out of my Baja fantasies. And unlike my actual Baja experience, I wasn’t in moderate to significant physical and emotional distress for most of the time. I was cool and comfortable in a climate-controlled leather seat.

Now of course there are those of you who think they know better than Ford’s fancy driver-aid suite. For you brave individuals, you can disengage traction control completely in Baja mode with a seven-second press of the traction control button.

But as Road & Track rather eloquently explained, you probably don’t want to do that. In most circumstances, including aggressive driving in the comfort of your own racing, modern driver aids can do more to help than hinder all but the most elite drivers. The Raptor takes that idea and runs with it. Baja mode is designed for the truck’s traction and stability systems to help make your drive faster and more fun, not cut power as soon as it detects a little wheel slip.
If I can climb into a vehicle and have the tires tearing across sand in under an hour, it’s safe to say the vehicle’s making up some ground on skill level.

ROCK CRAWL

Rock crawling is different from sand driving because you’re generally fighting against steep angles more than than a lack of traction. For this you need massive power spread across multiple wheels to keep your vehicle moving forward, which is why the Raptor’s “Rock Crawl” mode activates the transfer case’s low range, applying a 50:1 multiplication of the truck’s torque, starting in second gear to make all that power more manageable, and shutting off traction control.
Steering is set to comfort to give you all the turning strength you can get.
This mode is meant to pull you straight up a craggy hill, and back down again in conjunction with Hill Descent Control which is like an off-road cruise control keeping your speed in check.

The 2017 Ford Raptor is an impressive vehicle on its mechanical merits alone– the engine delivers massive power with impressive volumetric efficiency (450 horsepower from 3.5-liters of displacement!) and the shocks are even strong enough to soak up a little bit of air time. At least according to the commercial.

But Raptor’s Terrain Management System ties all the vehicle’s attribute together and takes its off-road performance to a level we haven’t seen in other production vehicles. If you’re just a decent driver, the thing will make you feel like a hero. But I have a feeling that even professionals will be able to appreciate how easy, even relaxing, driving this thing hard can be.

Last edited:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got this from the forum a while ago. Take it with a grain of salt... but should be good to give a general idea of what the GOAT modes are doing.
Ford Bronco Goat modes, Manual transmission 965A8FC6-9C41-4917-9B9C-FD93E998148A

::EDIT::

This is no longer the best info we have, it was posted long before official documentation was released, and we should ignore that second part below... it was just a guess at the time.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Deleted member 13702

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd assume the modes would change the complete engine performance map from fuel to ignition curves as well as cam timing based on selection. Steering, throttle, and traction control parameters would also be tweaked. That is some of the beauty of computer controlled systems, as long as they keep working...

OP
OP

Deleted member 13702

Got this from the forum a while ago. Take it with a grain of salt... but should be good to give a general idea of what the GOAT modes are doing.
Ford Bronco Goat modes, Manual transmission 965A8FC6-9C41-4917-9B9C-FD93E998148A
Appreciate the chart, it with the article that was posted earlier make things a little more clear.

Sahara00

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 wrangler, 2017 WRX, 2001Bmw 330cic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Still surprised there isn't a snow mode, unless I missed something.

Sponsored

Sahara00

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 wrangler, 2017 WRX, 2001Bmw 330cic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, you didn’t miss anything.

maybe slippery is supposed to cover that? ??‍♂
I don't think "slippery" mode is going to help with the amount of snow I get here in NY's mid hudson valley. Then again I do have a Jeep and get around fine with out any modes at all, lol.

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's going to make you look like you have never driven manual as it changes the throttle map. Hopefully it doesn't, but in another make the throttle change in "sport" mode ruined my shifts.

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's going to make you look like you have never driven manual as it changes the throttle map. Hopefully it doesn't, but in another make the throttle change in "sport" mode ruined my shifts.
According to the charts outlining the GOAT modes it does change throttle mapping, which I actually kind of dig, as it looks like I'll be able to just live in 'soft' modes (economy, weather, rock).

Modern Subarus do that new nonsensical thing where ~30% of pedal travel is near full throttle. It's ludicrous, and done for the SOLE purpose of making cars seem quicker when test driven.

I look forward to having an option for a skinny pedal that actually correlates with throttle opening. It's the little things.

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m curious to see sand mode used in a model with a locker vs one without a locker.
Sponsored