First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So after reading a long explanation on the Raptor forums of GOAT modes (system is not identical, from what I can determine), aside from the unexpected slip, do GOAT modes, eliminate most of the advantage of Adv4x4?

From the article I read, they work in tandem on the street, but the off road GOAT modes seem to default to 4H in the off road settings.

We get so little snow and ice hear in the NW, I am trying to think how often it will come into play. On my Element, it did kick in couple times in winter (different system, but same kind of thing I think), and in the JK, if I slip and its ice/snow, I just dump it into 4H.

On my off roading (which I think will consist of Forest roads, and some easy/moderate rated overland trails) I am thinking you could just wander around in 2H, or shift to maybe Sand Goat, and 4H for running a bit harder on loose terrain.

I cant really find much on it, even the Raptor guys seem to be pretty confused on how they actually work.

Any input or some links where to look. Been searching, but info seems pretty spotty.
Sponsored

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
AFAIK, some of the GOAT modes only work in 4L or 4A.
Others in all three.

For instance, rock crawling should be 4L only.
Mud and ruts should be all three, since mud and ruts are found from swamps to clay hill trails.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is a guess on the various GOAT modes. Following this logic there would be a handful of modes that would normally default to 2H, but if you have the advanced transfer case, would work in 4A.

This is *not* confirmed by Ford... only an example as to what *might* be the case.

Ford Bronco Goat modes, Replacement for Adv 4x4, Goat Mode Estimates

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just noticed in the bottom grid for "Rock" is that the sway bar is "Disconnected". I am guessing that, since there is no "*" that the "Disconnected" is actually disconnected? Or could that bel a false positive? Meaning that the "Rock" mode doesn't touch the sway bar unless you are in a BL. I could see both sides of that argument. Just something I finally noticed while determining that "Rock" would also be my "Log pulling" GOAT mode. :alien: :alien:

OrlandoBroncos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just noticed in the bottom grid for "Rock" is that the sway bar is "Disconnected". I am guessing that, since there is no "*" that the "Disconnected" is actually disconnected? Or could that bel a false positive? Meaning that the "Rock" mode doesn't touch the sway bar unless you are in a BL. I could see both sides of that argument. Just something I finally noticed while determining that "Rock" would also be my "Log pulling" GOAT mode. :alien: :alien:
That chart is just something someone made up back in July. It's not official and some of those things may not even be available on any Bronco (Adaptive steering and exhaust have never been mentioned, for example).

People should stop posting it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It would be nice if Ford let something out on this.

Without 4A, or rear locker, most of that chart won't really be applicable. I'm guessing that maybe it will be 2H as default pavement modes, 4H for OR, and 4L for rock crawling.

Likely will go with the BD build, Adv4x4.

Did read an interesting post about some guy driving 30 miles of the Baja in his Raptor, not used to 4x4's he said, and just drove whole thing in 2WD.

As has been said many times before, I will be rear wheel locked, in adv4x4, really feeling all that and a bag of chips, and some guy in a prius behind me, will be flashing his lights, so he can go around. :unsure:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I kind of think of it like this...

GOAT is for known terrain, 4A is for Unknown, like you don't know if there is black ice, or oil from first rain, etc.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That chart is just something someone made up back in July. It's not official and some of those things may not even be available on any Bronco (Adaptive steering and exhaust have never been mentioned, for example).

People should stop posting it.
Dude. I'm right here... I can hear you.

;)

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So after reading a long explanation on the Raptor forums of GOAT modes (system is not identical, from what I can determine), aside from the unexpected slip, do GOAT modes, eliminate most of the advantage of Adv4x4?

From the article I read, they work in tandem on the street, but the off road GOAT modes seem to default to 4H in the off road settings.

We get so little snow and ice hear in the NW, I am trying to think how often it will come into play. On my Element, it did kick in couple times in winter (different system, but same kind of thing I think), and in the JK, if I slip and its ice/snow, I just dump it into 4H.

On my off roading (which I think will consist of Forest roads, and some easy/moderate rated overland trails) I am thinking you could just wander around in 2H, or shift to maybe Sand Goat, and 4H for running a bit harder on loose terrain.

I cant really find much on it, even the Raptor guys seem to be pretty confused on how they actually work.

Any input or some links where to look. Been searching, but info seems pretty spotty.
I have had 4WD, AWD and “Hybrid” transfer cases in the past. Out of everywhere I lived, the PNW (lived up and down the Willamette Valley and Seattle area) the Hybrid option was by far the most beneficial. It was not unusual to experience dry, wet, ice and snow in just a few miles going over the passes either West to the coast or East to the desert. The Hybrid case is much nicer on downhill runs on changing surfaces as well. 4wd “high” can introduce some unintended oversteer if the front wheels “lock up” due to slipping, where the rears are on a different surface. It can work the other way to, producing oversteer if the rears lock up on a slippery surface, the fronts could also “lock up” making steering less responsive. It’s not a huge issue and I am fairly comfortable with countering the issue, but bottom line, the advanced case is probably better for most of us in road use, particularly in varying conditions. It is one option I am 100% set on. I much prefer the front and rears to have the option of being “de-coupled” when driving on the street in adverse conditions. It is snowing and freezing rain today and out of three 4wd vehicles, I am driving the AWD Explorer for just those reasons.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Goat modes aren't going to do shit

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The biggest effects of the GOAT modes will be altering throttle response and reducing the intrusion of traction control. Otherwise they're basically a shortcut button for turning the various lockers and 4H/4L on and off, stuff you could do on your own.

The biggest advantage of the 4A transfer case is that it lets you run in four wheel drive on pavement. You shouldn't be running in 4H on pavement due to drivetrain binding while turning. You could switch it into 4H at every stop sign and then back to 2H every time you want to turn, but that seems a bit ridiculous, and doesn't account for hitting an unexpected patch of something or a slick bridge on the highway.

Since the Bronco doesn't come with an LSD, any time you're on wet pavement or patchy snow/ice or hit a spot of dirt/sand/loose gravel on the road, the thing will have no problem lighting up a single rear tire under any sort of acceleration. 4A prevents that by letting the truck move power around where it can find traction. A GOAT mode can't do that.

My F150 has a 4A transfer case and an open rear. With a squeeze of throttle in first gear, it will light up a rear tire and spin it all of the way through the intersection, and that's with a Coyote that doesn't have all the low end torque of an EcoBoost. It's even worse when it's rainy or wet. Any amount of throttle in 2H just spins a tire and swings the rear end around.

In 4A, it just grabs and goes. A GOAT mode can't do that. A GOAT mode can make your throttle less sensitive so you're not as likely to spin a tire, but it can't actually move power around to give you more traction when you need it.

OP
OP

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hmmm. Seems we are defining 4A within some very narrow parameters. Though I am sure it has some wider value.

As to Goat modes not doing shit, the opinion seems to be opposite on the Raptor forums, at least mixed.

Still trying to find something out of that narrow Ice/slush/dry patches, that it is of greater value. I am sure there must be. Seattle is worse for weather usually, aside from the gorge, but down here in Vancouver, we are getting less than about 5 days of those conditions a year.

Did take the jeep up higher elevation forest road, and ran into a bit of snow/ice, but by then, I was already in 4H.

I think the easy answer is 4A is a definite plus, I am just trying to quantify, how big that plus is.

Thanks for all the insight and comments. Interesting topic.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah GOAT modes do much more than just push buttons for you. It affects Shift points, throttle response, fuel maps, etc.

That would be like saying "Sports" mode on cars only change your Shift Points... so wrong.
Sponsored