First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Has anyone found a more detailed description of the individual GOAT modes? I can't seem to find that anywhere other than the list. Thanks

It seems like the Black Diamond model is the only one that has both Rock Crawler and Sport mode which doesn't make sense to me. I'd like them all!
Sponsored

Last edited:

dirtyscab

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Has anyone found a more detailed description of the individual GOAT modes? I can't seem to find that anywhere other than the list. Thanks

It seems like the Black Diamond model is the only one that has both Rock Crawler and Sport mode which doesn't make sense to me. I'd like them all!
There's not a whole lot to describe. They're just different settings for ABS, traction control, throttle input, etc, to attempt to make the electronic nannies play nice with various levels of traction.

I wish the base Bronco didn't have any. Just disable traction control and use your foot and brain.

Txchewy

Base
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have never owned a 4x4 fancy enough to have different off road modes so I have no idea of the benefits. From what I have read on this forum no one that is serious about off roading cares about the modes and what I know from experience is that 90% of these vehicles sold will never go off road (ie people not on this forum). Seems like a lot of money to spend in engineering for a marketing feature. Perhaps I am missing the true value of these modes. I notice some of the upgraded packages have more "modes". Personally I would like zero modes a MT and a squatch. Who own this board is demanding more modes?

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
None of my 4x4s have been new enough to have any of that stuff. All I care about are the front and rear lockers. You have to be in a really bad spot to get stuck with that (that's where my winch I will certainly get comes in)

Overland4912

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There's not a whole lot to describe. They're just different settings for ABS, traction control, throttle input, etc, to attempt to make the electronic nannies play nice with various levels of traction.

I wish the base Bronco didn't have any. Just disable traction control and use your foot and brain.
It's way more than that, each drive mode will transform the vehicle by changing the calibration for numerous functions including the traction control, stability control, ABS, powertrain response, steering feel, yaw response, AWD traction, driveline, HMI (cluster UI, gauges and graphics) and on ford vehicles that have active suspension (raptor) it changes the damping rate. The drive modes really will have a play a big role to enhance the driving experience for the terrain you are on.

Sponsored

dirtyscab

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's way more than that, each drive mode will transform the vehicle by changing the calibration for numerous functions including the traction control, stability control, ABS, powertrain response, steering feel, yaw response, AWD traction, driveline, HMI (cluster UI, gauges and graphics) and on ford vehicles that have active suspension (raptor) it changes the damping rate. The drive modes really will have a play a big role to enhance the driving experience for the terrain you are on.
Ehh. It doesn't enhance my experience to have to stop what I'm doing and consider what mode I'm in and wiggle a dainty knob around. I've owned 2 cars with a sport mode and it's always my least favorite part of a car to have to faff around with mode selections.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

None are required. Some people will like the modes, some people won't use them at all. Other than the trans/engine/traction stuff, they mostly do things that you can do yourself in a different way.

Here is my guess:
ECO - crap performance for better mpg (low rpms, slow to downshift/accelerate), 2wd
Sport - for street use, hold higher RPMs (high power range, full turbo), aggressive downshift, firm steering, 2wd
Slippery - 4A, low RPMs, smooth shift, reduced throttle response, aggressive traction control, soft steer
Sand/Mud - 4H, engage locker(s), minimal traction control, max stability, max steering assist, high rpm shift point, moderate throttle response
Ruts - 4H, engage locker(s), moderate traction control, max stability, maximum steering assist, moderate throttle response and shift points
Crawl - 4L, engage locker(s), minimum traction control, soften throttle/trans response, max steering assist, forward camera setting
Baja - 4H, high RPMs (high power range, full turbo), max throttle response, soft steering, relaxed traction/stability

After selecting a mode, you can still change stuff, such turning off the lockers or switching 4H to 4A.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

First Name
Gump
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Ranger, 1986 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I kinda doubt that any of the terrain management modes will actually lock the diff(s). These systems rely heavily on biasing the brakes to move power to a wheel with traction. If the diff(s) are locked... there is no need to do that.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ehh. It doesn't enhance my experience to have to stop what I'm doing and consider what mode I'm in and wiggle a dainty knob around. I've owned 2 cars with a sport mode and it's always my least favorite part of a car to have to faff around with mode selections.
It gives Karen and Ken a chance to pause and build their courage before turning onto that gravel road to the VRBO ski chalet ...

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I kinda doubt that any of the terrain management modes will actually lock the diff(s). These systems rely heavily on biasing the brakes to move power to a wheel with traction. If the diff(s) are locked... there is no need to do that.
In Raptor, the rear diff is locked by default in both sand/mud and crawl modes. Raptor doesn't have a front locker (full-time Torsen). So Bronco may default to rear locked as well - although easy to turn off. I agree that the brakes are used when not locked.

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think to activate the “rock” mode you may have to have both lockers on. Like if your in 2H and open diffs I don’t know if the GOAT will even let you select rock.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree with you for most cars and SUVs. For Bronco, probably the one that will be most enjoyed is Baja mode for folks with auto trans that do high-speed offroading. Possibly also sport mode on street for younger crowd wanting it to "feel powerful". For low speed offroad, there isn't much value.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree with you for most cars and SUVs. For Bronco, probably the one that will be most enjoyed is Baja mode for folks with auto trans that do high-speed offroading. Possibly also sport mode on street for younger crowd wanting it to "feel powerful". For low speed offroad, there isn't much value.
The biggest thing with “crawl” mode is - Maximizing power steering
- soften throttle.

so you have more control over everything.

Uncle Gump

First Name
Gump
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Ranger, 1986 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
In Raptor, the rear diff is locked by default in both sand/mud and crawl modes. Raptor doesn't have a front locker (full-time Torsen). So Bronco may default to rear locked as well - although easy to turn off. I agree that the brakes are used when not locked.
I didn't deep dive the 2019 Ranger... but I'm pretty sure it doesn't lock the rear diff for Terrain Management. The Raptor very well could... but when looking for Ranger information... I stumbled on truth table for these modes buried in a post on a F150 forum that I don't think supported that the diff went active in those modes. I just wish I would have save that data.

I think to activate the “rock” mode you may have to have both lockers on. Like if your in 2H and open diffs I don’t know if the GOAT will even let you select rock.
This also may be true... but as seamless as they try to make these systems I would think you just select the mode and the electronics do the rest. Do you have any technical data to support this theory? I would love to get my hands on the specs for this new system.

Either way... this is new system and very well could have some new rules. I think it's new and different enough that they are offering a free class to attend to understand and use it's functionality correctly.

Overland4912

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The rock crawl mode will automatically lock the difs, disconnect the sway bar, and change the driveline to 4 LOW. The whole idea is for the system to quickly and seamlessly transform the vehicle for the best performance on each terrain. For example if you are offroading on some course that has multiple types of terrain you can quickly change all the vehicle settings on the fly with a twist of a knob instead of having to stop and press multiple buttons to adjust settings.
Sponsored

Last edited: